Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RE: Samsung Galaxy S2- storage issue

• 17-09-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all
    I recently had my 2 year old O2 Network 16GB Galaxy S2 fixed under warranty by Samsung. They installed a new board, IEMI code etc and loaded with it a newer OS android 4.1.2 (jelly bean)
    Originally it came loaded with Android OS, v2.3.4 Gingerbread I think it was.

Since the update I experienced some problems with the storage. I could not download new app updates or indeed new apps that were larger than a few MB.
    When trying to download a new ones I got an "application cannot be installed in the default install location" notification, and when trying to update existing apps I’d get "insufficient storage available". Furthermore, I also got a "storage space running low" notification, which also prevented the phone from syncing with apps (Gmail, for instance).
    Upon checking storage space in ‘settings’, I saw that 1.79/ of 1.97GB was being used in the system storage category and 2.12/ of 11.5GB used in the USB storage category- plenty of space for new apps & updates there..
    To my surprise there was no option move apps to the ‘USB storage’ unlike the previous version of v2.3.4 the phone came with. This effectively rendered the 11.5GB storage largely useless and left me with a paltry 1.97GB for Apps!

Thankfully there was an option to move APPs to an External SD, so I was able to keep most of them there.
    However I have noticed that they do not function as well as they did compared to when they were stored on the internal memory (E.g. they run noticeably slower and some apps won’t allow for a ‘Widget ‘ Function on the home screen)

Has anyone else encountered this issue with Android 4.1.2 on the S2 and is there any way of remedying the situation?
    Surely it's a bit daft to separate the phone's internal storage like that?
    Storage issues aside I quite like the new OS and do not wish to have my phone rooted/ flashed to run the earlier version the phone came with.

Appreciate any insight/help you might be able to send my way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

It could be that Jelly Bean just takes up too much space on the phone, these guys http://forum.xda-developers.com/ may be able to help you out, they also have instructions on how to upgrade/downgrade the operating system, if you want to consider running a lighter version of Android

Advertisement