Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Milan v Celtic, UCL Group H, KO 19.45 BST

• 18-09-2013 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Celtic go into the match with a few knocks

Injury List:
    James Forrest
    Steven Mouyokolo
    Beram Kayal
    Adam Matthews (doubtful)
    Joe Ledley (doubtful)
    Nir Biton (Traveling, but not match fit)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24137107
    "We hope we can catch them cold," said Lennon.

"The coach hasn't had a chance to find his team and get a run of form."

"It's unfortunate for him but I'm sure Milan will get stronger as the campaign progresses, as they always do," was Lennon's reply.

"I can't offer up a lot of sympathy. They can bring in Alessandro Matri, who cost a lot of money; money that myself or my board of directors could only ever dream of paying for players."

Milan on the other hand have a clear bill of health and registered all their players :pac:

Injury list:
    Stephan El Shaarawy
    Ignazio Abate
    Matias Silvestre
    Mattia De Sciglio
    Riccardo Saponara
    Giampaolo Pazzini
    Daniele Bonera
    Jherson Vergara
    Gabriel
    Kaka'
    Ricardo Montolivo
    Andrea Poli (doubtful)
    M'baye Niang (Unregistered)

Milan squad for Celtic: Abbiati, Amelia, Coppola, Constant, Mexes, Iotti, Zaccardo, Zapata, Benedicic, Birsa, Cristante, de Jong, Emanuelson, Modic, Muntari, Nocerino, Pedone, Poli, Balotelli, Matri, Robinho

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2423823/Massimiliano-Allegri-confident-AC-Milan-team-beat-Celtic-Kaka.html
    'We didn't play well on Saturday, actually, we played very badly against a Torino side that caused us a lot of problems.

'Tomorrow will be a different game as they always are in the Champions League. It's a great atmosphere. The start of the group stages.'

'It's a big match as we'll be up against a team that are very physically strong as well as being technically good players, especially in the attacking department. They'll be a tough team to face.

'I think that the players will put in a good performance tomorrow to put the match in Torino behind us.

'We're playing at home as well so we'll have our fans behind us as well just as they were in the match against PSV (when Milan won 3-0).

'There are all the ingredients for a great match and a great performance. I'm not worried at all about the situation.

'This period that we're going through, we've actually been a bit unlucky. The number of injuries we have reads like a wartime news bulletin but nevertheless, the work done by the medical staff and the physiotherapists has been outstanding.'

Despite all the injuries Milan still have a few players that can create something out of nothing even when playing badly as a team. Milan will be favourites but not by as big a margin people would have thought when the draw was made.

Celtic have a good opportunity to go and get a result but havent been clinical enough in the qualifiers. Hopefully Stokes brings his league form to the next level tonight and finally start realizing his potential. Joe Ledley being labelled a major doubt by Lennon is huge cause for concern with Kayal out & Biton nowhere near match fitness or played any games for Celtic yet.

It has all the hallmarks of a cagey game by both sides and although it is the 1st group game, it will have huge ramifications for both teams to qualify from the 'group of champions'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-manager-neil-lennon-cuts-2281581

NEIL LENNON last night threw a cloak of secrecy over Celtic’s training session to thwart spies from giving away his gameplan to AC Milan. The Hoops boss is determined to keep details of his starting line-up, tactics and set-piece drills under wraps ahead of the Group H curtain-raiser tonight at the San Siro. And Lennon revealed he was so concerned about being watched by prying eyes from the slopes of this famous old San Siro stadium that he had to cut short his final preparations for the clash. He admits he faces some huge decisions over his selection and hinted that on-fire striker Anthony Stokes – so often the odd-man out on Champions League nights – may be forced back on to the bench.
    “We haven’t really had any time to work on it because yesterday was still a recovery day from Saturday.

“Obviously we will do some light-training tonight but we’ll not give anything away tonight either because I’m sure there will be a lot of people in the stadium looking at it.

“We have a fair idea of how we are going to go about it. We’re just waiting on one or two letting us know how they feel. That might change things a little bit but in the main we know what the team’s going to be.” “I’m not necessarily trying to keep something up my sleeve but these things do go on when you train at the stadium. “When you try to do anything – even like working on set-pieces – it will be fed back more or less straight away. That’s why we’ll be keeping the training very, very light – just a bit of football really.”

“A point would be a fantastic result, especially when you consider that our next game is Barcelona at home. So it’s important we try to get something out of this first game. “The only thing that surprised me about Milan on Saturday night was the change of formation. “They’ve been quite rigid playing a 4-3-3 but they played a diamond at the weekend. Maybe that was just to combat Torino’s back three, I don’t know. “People say they might be vulnerable to pace and we’ve got plenty of that so you are hoping to use that to your advantage. “But, look, what I want is to try to get a foothold in the game and have a fair share of possession. We’ll take it from there.”

Lennon is getting abit paranoid after this happened :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24091441
    Youth-team coach Luca De Pra is believed to have watched Sampdoria train from under a tree while dressed in camouflage gear, without the knowledge of his own club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think this is going to be a tight game with not much in it. Milan not a great team and haven't really got many top players, but I can see Balotelli being the difference on the night. Maybe Milan to edge it by 1 goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Good chance of an upset tonight. Milan have been abysmal and have so many injuries. If Celtic go there with no fear and take the game to Milan they can get something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nice write up!

Will Stokes play tonight? Lennon has a habit of not playing him in the big games and is it possible Samaras will play up top with Commons in behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Stokes will be rightly pissed off if he doesnt start tonight. might be the final straw re a new contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

kfallon wrote: »
    Nice write up!

Will Stokes play tonight? Lennon has a habit of not playing him in the big games and is it possible Samaras will play up top with Commons in behind?

I hope not. Samaras' best position is wide left, if he's not played there we'll miss his contribution from that area. At home v Shakter Samaras was named in the line up alongside Stokes up front, but in the game itself he largely operated left wing and had a great game terrorising the Shakter defense especially in the 2nd half.

If he's looking for pace up front he might start Pukki ahead of Stokes. I would like to see Stokes get a start given his good form right now. Hopeful of a result tonight.

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/09/16/4265347/anthony-stokes-keen-to-seal-new-celtic-contract
    Stokes wrote:
    "My agent spoke to the club a couple of months ago and I'm obviously eager to try to get it signed, but there's not much I can do," Stokes told the Scotsman.

"I'm waiting to hear back from my agent and I'll take it from there. I would like to get it sorted, to be honest with you, because I've only got seven or eight months left on my contract."

"I hope so, but you can just never tell," he said. "I'm happy enough with my form and the most important thing is that we're winning games. It was a good performance against Hearts and I'm looking forward to [the match on] Wednesday [against AC Milan].

"I'm just playing my normal game and enjoying my football. It took me a while to come back from the injury last year, but I'm playing with no problems and no niggles.

"For any striker, to be in the team and scoring goals breeds confidence in yourself. I'm delighted with my form. Since I've come back from pre-season I've felt fit and strong and I just want to maintain it now."

Stokes is eager to sign a new contract, it will just take time to formalize it
    Meanwhile, Celtic boss Neil Lennon expressed his desire to keep Stokes at Celtic Park and said that the striker has "taken on the mantle left by Gary Hooper."

"Anthony's in a good place right now. He looks as if he’s taken on the mantle left by Gary Hooper and looking to show he's the number one. He's answering all the questions," he said.

"We've offered him a new contract and I want to keep him here. I would like to see it sorted and the sooner the better."

Considering this is what Lennon said after the Hearts game, it would be incredible for him not to start tonight imo.

The only worry for me is that he has a good game and his agent starts playing games with Celtic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan's youth team beat Celtic 3-1 in the UEFA Youth League today.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come tonight :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan's youth team beat Celtic 3-1 in the UEFA Youth League today.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come tonight :P

Dodgy Ref by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Sammy has to play on the left, I think our biggest chances will come from set pieces and on the counter so a bit of pace will be needed.
    It's a hard one with Stokes on this as his recent form has been excellent but he's not the quickest.
    I'd take the draw now !

I'm always a wreck watching these games at home, its never as bad when your at them or out in the pub !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

galait wrote: »
    Dodgy Ref by all accounts

of course it was

My team would be 4-2-3-1: Forster; Lustig, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Mulgrew; Brown, Ledley; Boerrigter, Commons, Samaras; Stokes

Pretty much playing the way GS used to do with with the wingers inverted and the full backs giving support/overlapping.

The biggest concern is Ledley and if he's not fit. Mulgrew could come into midfield and Izaguirre comes in at LB because Biton hasnt played at all and only trained for the first time with the team last night!

EDIT
    Chris McLaughlin ‏@BBCchrismclaug 2m

The lights are on and the fans are coming in. All the action from the San Siro - #Celtic v Milan on @bbcsportsound pic.twitter.com/tMJ37qqJV8

BUdlSB4CUAAKLuT.jpg:large

Nearly there... :)

Forster; Lustig, Van Dijk, Ambrose, Izaguirre; Matthews, Brown, Mulgrew, Samaras; Commons, Stokes

Celtic team to face AC Milan: Forster; Lustig, Van Dijk, Ambrose, Izaguirre; Matthews, Brown, Mulgrew, Samaras; Commons, Stokes

Celtic subs: Zaluska, Pukki, Rogic, Boerrigter, Balde, McGeouch, Biton

Eugh, Izzy starts

I'm happy enough with that team. Big night for Stokes, this is the chance he's been waiting for.

Its going to be tough without Ledley, he gets through so much work during a game its not funny.

Forgot about Matthews playing in front of Lustig, he's not bad there. The weak link is Samaras/Izzy defensively down the left side. Mulgrew will have to do alot of covering. Very big night for Stokes, hope he brought his shooting boots!

EDIT

Only 1 of the 6 summer signings starts tonight, further highlights the failures of the board this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Should've posted this here instead of the Milan thread:

Milan XI (vs Celtic): Abbiati; Zaccardo, Zapata, Mexes, Constant; Muntari, De Jong, Nocerino; Birsa; Matri, Balotelli

Robinho and Poli start on the bench (It's bizarre that Robinho hasn't started). Worst Milan team I've ever seen start a Champions League game and Celtic's pace will definitely cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Is RTE or ITV showing the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Is RTE or ITV showing the game?

RTE are yeah.

What's the verdict form the Celtic lads? Is that the team yous hoped would start/thought would start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dempsey wrote: »

Only 1 of the 6 summer signings starts tonight, further highlights the failures of the board this summer.

It took Wanyama nearly a year to nail down a starting spot so I wouldn't make too much of that.

Their time will come but for now we're better off with guys that have done so well for us on this stage.

Nervous now, another massive test for the players and manager. Hopefully they'll do themselves justice

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    It took Wanyama nearly a year to nail down a starting spot so I wouldn't make too much of that.

Their time will come but for now we're better off with guys that have done so well for us on this stage.

Nervous now, another massive test for the players and manager. Hopefully they'll do themselves justice

Kayal was on fire at the time tbh. Definitely agree about going with players that have bedded in and Lennon knows can do the job. Van Dijk has bedded in despite breaking a bone in his foot with put him out for a month earlier in pre season!

Looking forward to this too! :D

Kayal was on fire at the time tbh. Definitely agree about going with players that have bedded in and Lennon knows can do the job. Van Dijk has bedded in despite breaking a bone in his foot with put him out for a month earlier in pre season!

Looking forward to this too! :D

And we had our best player Ki back then! :)

Formation is wrong, RTE cant even read a team announcement correctly

EDIT,

They never know where to put Matthews or Commons!

Some Celtic team by RTE there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

RoryMac wrote: »
    Some Celtic team by RTE there!!

Some risky positional changes there by Lennon!

Some risky positional changes there by Lennon!

Easy to see now why Lennon kept the training sessions behind closed doors, he's playing half the team out of position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wow thats was an awful free.

Nice save

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Feels like I'm watching a training game

• Advertisement

Carroller wrote: »
    Feels like I'm watching a training game

A training game for Milan.

EDIT

Referee didnt signal advantage

Gwan de ref!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Indirect free? Big chance!

Awful decision by the ref!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Goalkeeper handled the ball twice, no?

Goalkeeper handled the ball twice, no?

Maybe but he's not indicating what he's doing correctly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe but he's not indicating what he's doing correctly

What? He put his hand up, indicating an indirect free. He was right too.

SantryRed wrote: »
    What? He put his hand up, indicating an indirect free. He was right too.

Earlier he didnt indicate playing advantage at all before calling it back.

Did he indicate what the indirect free kick was for??

Settled quite well now after a shakey first 15 mins although Sami & Mulgrew need to help Izzy out more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

We need more ball down the right hand side,AC are struggling there

What the fook is wrong with Matthews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Jesus Matri is a terrible player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Awful match with 2 very average teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

AC are so so poor. Reminds me of usual games when one team has higher quality players. Celtic haven't taken the chances presented, Milan will probably have one bit of magic from Balotelli and sneak it out 1-0.

Awful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the least compelling 45 minus of CL I've sat through, though an object lesson in bad dead balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Balotelli looks like he is in a good sulk. Happy with 0-0 although we could do better up front

Some awful passing by Celtic with Sami anonymous, the plus side being Milan are just as bad.

Game is there to be won if we can pass the ball better 2nd half. Izzy playing really well for me but caught out due to lack of help

Pretty much what I expected before hand but I expected better from Celtic, they started really slow.

Whichever team can show more composure on the ball will win this but a draw will be a good result for Celtic too

Pretty much what I expected before hand but I expected better from Celtic, they started really slow.

Whichever team can show more composure on the ball will win this but a draw will be a good result for Celtic too

We're well capable of passing the ball better and I'm sure Lennon will be drumming that into the players now, great chance to get some unexpected points on the board

A draw would be a good result but we can win this if we show a bit of belief and composure. Boerrigter or Pukki could make a difference if given the opportunity.

Lennonist wrote: »
    A draw would be a good result but we can win this if we show a bit of belief and composure. Boerrigter or Pukki could make a difference if given the opportunity.

I thought Boerrigter would start wide right, certainly should be seeing him as Matthews isnt a winger, certainly not enough gametime there to do it in the UCL.

Pukki should get 20-30 minutes, not sure who for yet though

• Advertisement
Advertisement