Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Spiders

Options
  • 18-09-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I recently bought a house that was not lived in for a few years. We are finding huge spiders everyday and can't seem to get rid of them. Do spiders nest like other animals? Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I need some help with this myself too.

Over the last week or so I've had about 5 huge spiders in my room. I don't have a fear of the usual house spider or daddy long legs at all, but these guys are much bigger than the normal type you'd see in a house. Only once before about a year ago I saw one like this, but now I've seen several in recent days in this room.

They seem to scurry along the floor mostly rather than climb, so I have managed to kill every one I've seen (I know some people don't like to hear that but I these guys freak me out to such an extent that I just have to).

I've tried cleaning and dusting around as best I could. I don't know much about spiders but they seem to be more like a outdoor or basement type. I am pretty sure one of them came up through a hole in the floor where the radiator pipe comes up, and I sealed that the other day but now this evening another one of these massive guys appeared in front of me, I don't know if he had just been hiding somewhere since I sealed that or if they are finding another way in.

I'm not really sure what if anything I can do. Like I said, I don't usually fear spiders at all, but these things are causing me to get freaked out and stressed in a way that isn't good or funny at all, and I'm only getting more stressed out every time I see another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Must be something too this, probably the weather. I say this as at the same time I noticed the sudden appearance of large numbers of wasps too.

But its the spiders that wierded me out,
    Ive noticed a sudden increase in the numbers of spiders too, specifically quite big ones.
    I was in the boxroom just with the light from the hall, I have a few boxes of books in there looking for something, I heard this flicking noise so I turned the light on and there was a huge spider, havent seen one this big in a while, it must have been running back and forward over the books, that or I disturbed it reading something??

Not sure if there is anything you can do, they could be coming in vents or down the chimney or from the attic. I usually just scoop them up in something and throw them out the front or back if they are unusually large, but I flattened the last one, that one was again in the dark.
    Usually I leave the other ones be as I assume they help keep down other insects?

Not having excess places for them to hide like my boxes of stuff, probably helps, but there is probably only so much you can do, reminds me, I need to use filler on a few holes.

I took a picture of one the big one, will see if I still have it. I think they are called wolf spiders, like this but Ive seen bigger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De4NidAuGcI
    edit
    Doing a quick google came up with a few items
    http://www.gardenofireland.com/workbook/?p=490
    and http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Its-mating-season-in-Ireland-for-monster-size-spiders-169061066.html, among others,
    It seems the wolf spider is an ambush predator and the

I suspect what I had may have been a Tegenaria

Only a couple of hours after typying that and another one appeared! Managed to kill it. And like you it was around a stack of books and boxes in the corner of my room where I had cleaned quite a bit of dust and webs earlier.

And yes these do make noise, thats how I discovered some of them, making a tapping sound running over a brown paper bag.

I dont think its so much a fear of the spider itself, its more a fear of not knowing where they are coming from, how many and where. The fact that its my bedroom just makes the anxiety worse, I actually cant sleep now.

Well I think I found the source of my problem, an area of the room close to where I spotted the last 2 that I hadnt cleaned in ages : webs with little white sacs. I presume this was their nest. Well its all cleaned up now so hopefully thats most of them if not all of them gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

The reason you guys are seeing so many spiders is because its mating time for them! They come out of their hiding place to find a mate at this time every year and become more visible to us

• Advertisement

cd07 wrote: »
    The reason you guys are seeing so many spiders is because its mating time for them! They come out of their hiding place to find a mate at this time every year and become more visible to us

Not sure how they are getting so big and numerous though

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

This'll explain it for you

aidoh wrote: »
    This'll explain it for you

Thats just like this one :)
    cerastes wrote: »
    Must be something too this, probably the weather. I say this as at the same time I noticed the sudden appearance of large numbers of wasps too.

But its the spiders that wierded me out,
    Ive noticed a sudden increase in the numbers of spiders too, specifically quite big ones.
    I was in the boxroom just with the light from the hall, I have a few boxes of books in there looking for something, I heard this flicking noise so I turned the light on and there was a huge spider, havent seen one this big in a while, it must have been running back and forward over the books, that or I disturbed it reading something??

Not sure if there is anything you can do, they could be coming in vents or down the chimney or from the attic. I usually just scoop them up in something and throw them out the front or back if they are unusually large, but I flattened the last one, that one was again in the dark.
    Usually I leave the other ones be as I assume they help keep down other insects?

Not having excess places for them to hide like my boxes of stuff, probably helps, but there is probably only so much you can do, reminds me, I need to use filler on a few holes.

I took a picture of one the big one, will see if I still have it. I think they are called wolf spiders, like this but Ive seen bigger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De4NidAuGcI
    edit
    Doing a quick google came up with a few items
    http://www.gardenofireland.com/workbook/?p=490
    and http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Its-mating-season-in-Ireland-for-monster-size-spiders-169061066.html, among others,
    It seems the wolf spider is an ambush predator and the

I suspect what I had may have been a Tegenaria

Advertisement