Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connections for wort chiller

Options
  • 18-09-2013 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

i recently got a wort chiller but not too sure how to connect it to the tap. I saw somewhere here about using garden hose but the pipe on the wort chiller seems very small. Any advice on what to get would be great as i m planning on doing my first extract next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have put a small slit up the tubing and then force it on to the chiller connection

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

thanks oblivious. When you say chiller connection what do you mean, i don t think i got any connection, is there anything i could get that would allow me to connect to the chiller. Sorry, not the best diy plumber
    i m afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When I made mine I used a small piece of clear tubing that was with something else (I think it was with the auto-syphon) and used that as a buffer between the copper pipe and garden hose, all clamped together with jubilee clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here is old pic of one of mine
    Plinythetoddler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

What worked for me was using 1/2inch ID clear food grade hose-available in homebrew stores or a local Co-Op. This will fit comfortably over the wort chiller piping and I used two jubilee clips to secure- I found just one tends to leak slightly. You need a standard tap to hose connection (every hardware store has these) but to get the hose over the push fit end I had to soak the end of the hose in very hot water before fitting over. Secure with a jubilee clip and you're set. If you can, try to find a metal tap to hose fitting (probably in the plumbing section of the hardware shop rather than the garden one)-they tend to be easier to fit than the plastic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

thanks for the replies. I ll give it a go next week. The weather looks good for an outside boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

does your tap have a screw thread?

If so then pick up an adaptor like this
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-2-inch-barb-x-3-4-inch-female-pipe-thread-non-swivel-adapter/954413

thats what I use for mine. You will obviously need to fasten the tube to the connection.

Other wise you will just need some kind of similar adapter which will allow you to fit a larger pipe to your tap. Just need to be careful tho if you are connecting big to small as the pressure difference could force a disconnect

Advertisement