Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl 3 Year Guarentee

Options
  • 18-09-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I bought an electric battery operated hedge trimmers from Lidl with one of their three year guarantees - kept the receipt and now the battery wont charge after light domestic use and 18 months since purchase.

I contacted the Lidl customer service team and was referred to their outsourced customer care team DES UK LTD who have advised me that yes there is a 3 year guarantee on the trimmers but the battery is not included in the guarantee - they pointed me to to page 15 of the manual and sure enough in small print it states this.

I always thought that one of the Aldi/Lidl 3 year guarantees meant what it says - a THREE YEAR GUARANTEE??

They have now sent me a hedge trimmers without the battery and charger and are refusing to send anything else - the Lidl customer care department wont have anything to do with this and are stating the same - that the battery is not covered...

Any advise out there?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Bit confused. Do you now have two hedge trimmers but no battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

emeldc wrote: »
    Bit confused. Do you now have two hedge trimmers but no battery.

Yes - its crazy, i suppose they cant guarantee the battery depending on use ect but it seems crazy to be able to offer a 3 year guarantee ... on only some of the parts...??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Seems unfair alright but you'll find that even top brand tool manufacturer's will offer very limited guarantees on batteries- they can last very little time if charged inappropriately etc. If you feel up to a bit of DIY and possess a soldering iron you may be able to rebuild the original battery pack using individual cells purchased online. I would steer away from any cordless tool or appliance that only came with one battery pack- which is most often the case with Lidl and Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Unfortunately batteries tend to be excluded from warranties. I know my laptop has 2 year warranty but only 30 day battery.

If you can prove the b battery was faulty you could have a comeback but it be very difficult to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Li-ion batteries have a defined lifespan of three years from date of manufacture. It could be well over a year by the time the battery and product lands in your hands. So they can't guarantee them,

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments - i just feel that if a battery or any other part is excluded from a warranty it should be very obvious on the box or printed on the battery.

Always felt the 3 year warranties from Aldi/Lidl were bullet proof as long as you kept your receipt... disappointed to hear otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

its the same for 99% of consumer purchases. Batteries are not covered by warranty. And as you say it is in your manual that its not covered so I dont think its unfair of Aldi/Lidl.

its the same for 99% of consumer purchases. Batteries are not covered by warranty. And as you say it is in your manual that its not covered so I dont think its unfair of Aldi/Lidl.

I strongly disagree - on the box it says 3 year warranty - It is always maintained by Lidl/Aldi staff that there is a no quibble guarantee if you keep your receipt.

If you buy a sweeping brush with a 3 year warranty should we expect the handle not to be covered if it is hidden in small print somewhere in the manual??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

im on your side...we had a laptop battery fail after a month and a half and Sony would not honour it! never would i have guessed a 200€ battery would not be covered...luckily we used my insurance from ccard to claim!

But lesson was learned there....it was in the manual that it wasn't covered...hence my saying unfortunately its not Aldi/Lidls fault....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Ah come on, it is simply the responsibility of the consumer to educate themselves on a product and also the constrictions of a warrenty, you simply cannot expect aldi/lidl to be telling you everything prior to your purchase, thats just simply unfeasible. They have printed it in your manual, what more do you want them to do, read the manual to you at the till before you hand over the cash?!?!?!

Your fault for not reading the manual, now you are trying to wriggle out of this by somehow trying to attach the blame on the company because "You thought" and "You assumed" that everything was covered, well thats not the companies fault my friend, its yours !!!!

Did you also assume that if you dropped it and it broke that it was covered??? Or if you dropped it in a pond that it was covered???? No you didn't and where does it tell you that, surprise surprise, in the manual . . . . .

• Advertisement

YourName wrote: »
    Ah come on, it is simply the responsibility of the consumer to educate themselves on a product and also the constrictions of a warrenty, you simply cannot expect aldi/lidl to be telling you everything prior to your purchase, thats just simply unfeasible. They have printed it in your manual, what more do you want them to do, read the manual to you at the till before you hand over the cash?!?!?!

Your fault for not reading the manual, now you are trying to wriggle out of this by somehow trying to attach the blame on the company because "You thought" and "You assumed" that everything was covered, well thats not the companies fault my friend, its yours !!!!

Did you also assume that if you dropped it and it broke that it was covered??? Or if you dropped it in a pond that it was covered???? No you didn't and where does it tell you that, surprise surprise, in the manual . . . . .

I clearly have different retail expectations from you - if there is an image on an item for sale that says 3 year warranty - i expect a 3 year warranty.

I dont think anyone would be unrealistic to expect that an item dropped into a pond would be covered within a warranty... unless of course it was a waterproof item - we would then be having a different conversation!!

I bought this item in good faith - it lasted for approximately 6 uses over an 18 month period - it now doesnt work and i am told due to the battery - i had higher expectations for these items - clearly my expectations are now lowered and i wont be buying similar items from Lidl in the future.

I am merely bringing this to the attention of other consumers and i appreciate your opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

No you didn't and where does it tell you that, surprise surprise, in the manual . . . . .

Which surprise,surprise,........is inside the box, so you don't get to see until later!!!

mickzer.

You could still have investigated the constrictions of the warrenty online (Possibly) or at the very least contacted lidl or the manufacturing company directly, however generally its much easier than that and usually featured online, or im sure shop staff could have taken it out of the box before you bought it to show you.

Otherwise you could have found the warrenty when you bought it in the manual and not 18 months later when your looking to get a free trimmer.

Look its a pain that the battery no longer works, i would agree with you that i would have expected it to last longer, i agree with you there. And somehow you now have 2 trimmers, however useless they are to you.

But to clarify i disagree that you are blaming lidl/aldi and are dissapointed in them, the contrictions on the warrenty are in the manual, battery is not covered, open and shut case, there is no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

But to clarify i disagree that you are blaming lidl/aldi and are dissapointed in them, the contrictions on the warrenty are in the manual, battery is not covered, open and shut case, there is no argument.

Incorrect, there is an argument - the hedge trimmer should last a "reasonable" amount of time. Period. I think 18 months is not a reasonable time for it to last, as the hedge trimmer is completely and utterly useless without a working battery, sending a new hedge trimmer is pointless to say the least (insulting is another word I could use).

My advice to you OP is to talk to the NCA and explain your situation, see what advice they can give you.

A 3 year warranty clearly stated on the box should mean just...unless it's clearly stated ON THE BOX that the battery or other parts are excluded from that warranty.

Good luck OP

vicwatson wrote: »
    Incorrect, there is an argument - the hedge trimmer should last a "reasonable" amount of time. Period. I think 18 months is not a reasonable time for it to last, as the hedge trimmer is completely and utterly useless without a working battery, sending a new hedge trimmer is pointless to say the least (insulting is another word I could use).

My advice to you OP is to talk to the NCA and explain your situation, see what advice they can give you.

A 3 year warranty clearly stated on the box should mean just...unless it's clearly stated ON THE BOX that the battery or other parts are excluded from that warranty.

Good luck OP

Depending on the price of the trimmer, a €20 Trimmer can not be expected to last as long as a €100 Trimmer, so until we know the actual price your argument is irrelevent. 18 months would be very reasonable for a cheap trimmer if you ask me, assuming it is a cheap model.

Back to the original argument of weather or not everything that is excluded from the guarantee should be listed on the box or anywhere it says "3 year guarantee" it should also have a comprehensive list of its exclusions. Which is completly unfeasible and the NCA and any other agency DO NOT expect any consumer to do this, just once it is available for the consumer to read and understand somehwere, however as I have said before this is up to the consumer to find and educate themselves on prior to making the purchase. Effectively when you purcahsed the goods you entered into a contract that had a 3 year guarantee with these exclusions, you accepted all of these terms when handing over the money for the goods.

If I see 3 year warrenty I don't assume that if absolutely anything happens to the product I will get a new one, nobody can assume that. The fact is that there is a 3 year warrenty, there is no denying that, however what this guarantee covers is up to the consumer to investigate, not for the retailer to spoon-feed you.

NCA will tell you exactly what I am saying and then will throw in their signature line that out of "Good will" they feel that the retailer should honour you on this occasion, happens all the time and fills the consumer with false hope, NCA are not the right people to be suggesting who should be carrying out "Good Will" transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's common practice for batteries to be considered consumables. I won't go into the legal detail but there are indirectly related provisions within the sales of goods act on this and giving the minimum protections.

3 year guarantee is irrelevant to be honest. Has the same standing as a one year gaurantee, that it none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

At the end of the day, all warranties have terms and conditions. We live in an era where T&C's are part and parcel of even getting a meal in a restaurant. The simple fact of the matter is that Lidl's 3 Yr Guarantee is bulletproof when you consider that (in this instance anyway), you had a manual which explained that the battery wasn't covered by guarantee. Lidl have a 28 day Change Your Mind Policy. It was basically up to you OP to investigate the limitations of the warranty and if you were not happy with them, you had 1 month from the date of purchase to bring your product back to the store and get a refund. I totally agree that it sucks that a battery isn't covered but it was in black and white for you to see within 28 days of buying it, at which point you had the right to change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

rochestown wrote: »
    The simple fact of the matter is that Lidl's 3 Yr Guarantee is bulletproof when you consider that (in this instance anyway), you had a manual which explained that the battery wasn't covered by guarantee. Lidl have a 28 day Change Your Mind Policy. It was basically up to you OP to investigate the limitations of the warranty and if you were not happy with them, you had 1 month from the date of purchase to bring your product back to the store and get a refund. I totally agree that it sucks that a battery isn't covered but it was in black and white for you to see within 28 days of buying it, at which point you had the right to change your mind.

Exactly this. You don't buy just the physical item itself, you agree to warranty conditions also.
    rochestown wrote: »
    If you buy a sweeping brush with a 3 year warranty should we expect the handle not to be covered if it is hidden in small print somewhere in the manual??

It's not the same thing at all. The handle of a brush isn't considered a consumable item.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Depending on the price of the trimmer, a €20 Trimmer can not be expected to last as long as a €100 Trimmer, so until we know the actual price your argument is irrelevent. 18 months would be very reasonable for a cheap trimmer if you ask me, assuming it is a cheap model.

Why bother with a 3 year warranty so?

My advice stands to the OP, talk to the NCA explain your situation and ask their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moha

I Work for an IT Company in Which Sells Laptops.
    It's Printed in clear TEXT on the Warranty Booklet That the Battery is Covered only with 12 Months Warranty not 3 or 5 Years as the Laptop.
    Simply Cause Many of you mentioned, Batteries are Consumable Parts & Can't be Covered Under the Device Warranty!
    Maximum is 12 Months Unless you Buy Extra warranty for the Battery Separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Why bother with the warranty at all?

The Sales of Goods and Services Act 1980 gives far better consumer protection.

Write to Lidl head office giving them 10 days to supply a working unit or you will take your case to the SSC.

THe SCC will cost €25, if the judge agrees with you that your unit should work for longer than 18 months than you have a result.

The judge may order that a new battery is supplied or that > than the original purchase price is refunded taking into account the use of a working unit you have had for the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

That certainly won't happen. The judge will ask if the unit is working. Certainly seems to be the case and the unit is still covered by the warranty. The battery as a consumable part of the product isn't and as such is not covered by the warranty. I think that 18 months is certainly a legitimate timeframe to expect the battery to be dead within given that most warranties only extend to 12 months anyway and you're goosed regardless. The fact that the hedgetrimmer unit itself is in perfect working order (excepted by the bad battery) is grounds to have this claim rejected. Unit is working, consumable (by its very nature) isn't. Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

This is unlikely to win in the SmCC under the heading of faulty goods. It's simply the case that technology has not progressed to a point that batteries last beyond a certain time frame. That said it could come under the SOGASOS Act but under a different head, possibly allowing for damages if a spare parts can not be purchased by the OP.

I'm not saying don't do down the SmCC route just be careful how you frame a complaint. I won't get into the specifics as I've been informed it's beyond the scope of this forum.

*Cough* Read section 12 in conjunction with the implied ramifications of a three year warranty *cough*

EDIT: Oh and on the practical front, espares and a google of the battery. Someone will have made a knock off somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can Lidl or their agent supply a battery at a cost to you? It may be less than €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Could someone have simply made a mistake here. I don't understand why they would send you a new trimmers which is totally useless without the battery. They wouldn't replace the battery for the original one but had no problem sending you a new trimmers that you didn't even ask for. It doesn't make sense. Maybe it got lost in translation somewhere.

For all you non-believers out there... success!!

Now i have 3 hedge trimmers and one working battery... Ill still be cautious the next time i buy a battery operated item from Lidl...

Dear Mr *****

I have today been made aware of a problem you have experienced trying to resolve the issue with your faulty Hedge Trimmer.

I have organised a complete new unit to be sent out to you which you should receive next Tuesday. Although I must stress that the batteries are not covered under the warranty.

Please accept my apologises for the delay and inconvenience and be assured that the issues raised have been addressed with the staff concerned, especially the email in capitals.

Once again please accept my personal apology and be assured that this is not normally our customers experience.

Yours Sincerely

Managing Director

It seems from that letter OP that you got the replacment because you wern't treated nicely by the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It seems from that letter OP that you got the replacment because you wern't treated nicely by the staff.

Or because a certain company monitors boards.ie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So next week the OP will have 3 trimmers, 2 chargers and one working battery!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I assume he'll drop the other 2 Strimmers into his nearest lidl store before the week's out.

Advertisement