Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl 3 Year Guarentee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Fair play to Lidl. As others have stated batteries are consumables. You wouldn't bring your printer back for an exchange when the ink runs out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

wingnut wrote: »
    Fair play to Lidl. As others have stated batteries are consumables. You wouldn't bring your printer back for an exchange when the ink runs out!

Just to underscore a point though: You might be pretty narked if once it ran out of ink, you had to buy a new printer because new cartridges weren't available. I actually think this is more along the lines of the OPs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Bepolite wrote: »
    Just to underscore a point though: You might be pretty narked if once it ran out of ink, you had to buy a new printer because new cartridges weren't available. I actually think this is more along the lines of the OPs issue.

Just to underscore your point: The suggestion was made to the OP to buy a new battery however the OP never said he/she attempted to find a replacment battery therefore it is unknown if they are unavailable.

YourName wrote: »
    Just to underscore your point: The suggestion was made to the OP to buy a new battery however the OP never said he/she attempted to find a replacment battery therefore it is unknown if they are unavailable.

These should be available from the seller, so it's not a massive leap to assume they're not available given they didn't just say, that's X euro please and one will be straight out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

These should be available from the seller, so it's not a massive leap to assume they're not available given they didn't just say, that's X euro please and one will be straight out to you.

Actually it is.

I've checked the owner manuals for a few different models of Florabest Cordless trimmers and they all clearly state that batteries are available from their Customer Service. They also give the contact details of their service centre in the UK
    Only use an OEM battery
    pack replacement available from our
    Customer Service

If the parts are not avail then the OP may be able to seek redress under Sect 12 of the SoGaSS act:
    12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

OP, the manual also states that batteries are not covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Actually it is.

It really isn't. Someone whould have been able to have told the customer this.
    I've checked the owner manuals for a few different models of Florabest Cordless trimmers and they all clearly state that batteries are available from their Customer Service. They also give the contact details of their service centre in the UK

Why should an Irish customer have to contact the UK?

If the parts are not avail then the OP may be able to seek redress under Sect 12 of the SoGaSS act:

OP, the manual also states that batteries are not covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

Yep we've covered that, but thanks for linking it - I normally get moaned at for linking legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

im on your side...we had a laptop battery fail after a month and a half and Sony would not honour it! never would i have guessed a 200€ battery would not be covered...luckily we used my insurance from ccard to claim!

But lesson was learned there....it was in the manual that it wasn't covered...hence my saying unfortunately its not Aldi/Lidls fault....
    This should have been replaced or you should have returned the laptop as "not fit for purpose".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It really isn't. Someone whould have been able to have told the customer this.
    Just because someone doesn't offer an option doesn't mean that option isn't available. Imo it's not a reasonable assumption especially since the OP hasn't even mentioned if that option was given or not. I accept you may have a different view though.
    Why should an Irish customer have to contact the UK?
    In an ideal world there should be local support, but some companies don't provide local support, that's the way they choose to run their business.
    Yep we've covered that, but thanks for linking it - I normally get moaned at for linking legislation.
    I won't moan at ya for linking, I promise :) . Since we only covered the 'battery not included in the guarantee' bit I thought it useful to make readers aware of the company's obligation to make spare parts available for a reasonable time.

Just because someone doesn't offer an option doesn't mean that option isn't available. Imo it's not a reasonable assumption especially since the OP hasn't even mentioned if that option was given or not. I accept you may have a different view though.

Likewise - To be fair we don't know how cooperative the OP was or what avenues they explored, I take your point to a degree. Really though there should be a local number of the OP if they run in to difficulty if the store can't help them, which given the number of products, they can't be expected to be an expert on everyone.

In an ideal world there should be local support, but some companies don't provide local support, that's the way they choose to run their business.

I have to disagree with you here. Where does one draw the line? I used to work for a business that used to charge £1 a minute for support. It's one thing if you order from a UK based web retailer, quite another if you buy something from a local store. As above it is reasonable to ask a customer to call a number for practical purposed, but not to base that number outside of the jurisdiction.
    I won't moan at ya for linking, I promise :) . Since we only covered the 'battery not included in the guarantee' bit I thought it useful to make readers aware of the company's obligation to make spare parts available for a reasonable time.

Ah we go back to the guarantee, warranty, condition distinction so rarely understood :pac:

Advertisement