Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenview Health and Leisure club

Options
  • 18-09-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    I’m thinking of joining this gym as I pass this way eachday. Does anyone have any feedback on the place. I went there this week for afree trial.

The best a sales lady could offer me was 488 if you pay up frontfor gym and pool or 48 a month. I was a bit annoyed as they told me when Ibooked the day pass that there was no extra charge when paying monthly. I thengot the rubbish its bank charges.

Anyway any feedback welcome, especially what rate you got.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Hi Arklow, can't offer any feedback on it but am interested to know what you thought of it from your free trial, as I am thinking of joining it too ... Any feedback You can offer would be appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Hi Wicklow Will

Overall I was happy with the place.The gym was small and a bit dated so I think if you are a serious user it could be a problem, having to wait for benches etc. Spoke to a few people there and they seemed happy with it. Steem room and sauna was good but the pool was full of kids.

Lots and lots of How cheap the membership was and how everyone pays up front bla bla.

Hi Martin, thanks for the info. Was just thinking... 488 seems a bit steep this day and age. Dunno what you think of it ... i.e. is what you get reflective of €488 for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Yes indeed I though the same thing. Im undecided myself whether to go ahead, especially when paying monthly costs 588.
    I said to them alright its more celtic tiger rates, the reply being I though it would be over 600

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If you are near Sandyford or elsewhere have a look for the Ben(?) Dunne gyms - heard them on the radio recently - amazing prices, unfortunately none near Delgany/Greystones.

• Advertisement

Martin32 wrote: »
    Yes indeed I though the same thing. Im undecided myself whether to go ahead, especially when paying monthly costs 588.
    I said to them alright its more celtic tiger rates, the reply being I though it would be over 600

If it weren't for the convenience of it (on my route home so therefore more likely to use membership) I wouldn't even toy with the idea of it at those kind of prices and I'm by no means sold on it yet. But it's good to hear both the positive and negative points about it. Thanks a million.

Taltos wrote: »
    If you are near Sandyford or elsewhere have a look for the Ben(?) Dunne gyms - heard them on the radio recently - amazing prices, unfortunately none near Delgany/Greystones.

Yeah, none near us here and not exactly appealing trying to struggle through peak time traffic from M50 to get to Sandyford :( But thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Hi
    I’m thinking of joining this gym as I pass this way eachday. Does anyone have any feedback on the place. I went there this week for afree trial.

The best a sales lady could offer me was 488 if you pay up frontfor gym and pool or 48 a month. I was a bit annoyed as they told me when Ibooked the day pass that there was no extra charge when paying monthly. I thengot the rubbish its bank charges.

Anyway any feedback welcome, especially what rate you got.

Many thanks
    There is a Ben Dunne Gym in Cherrywood which is cheap. I used to be a member up in Glenview, place is very small; free weights area is tiny.. the machines they have are ancient..although it`s nice to have the pool.

About 4 mins drive from the Glenview there is Go Gym.. just take the turn for Greystones..its in Charlesland.. Place is huge in comparison to Glenview and I believe they are considering re-opening the pool that was closed under previous ownsership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Woofstuff wrote: »
    About 4 mins drive from the Glenview there is Go Gym.. just take the turn for Greystones..its in Charlesland.. Place is huge in comparison to Glenview and I believe they are considering re-opening the pool that was closed under previous ownsership.
    The pool is being used for classes - it's just not got any water in it! :p

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

astrofluff wrote: »
    The pool is being used for classes - it's just not got any water in it! :p

All above board according to safety regulations im sure!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

Woofstuff wrote: »
    There is a Ben Dunne Gym in Cherrywood which is cheap. I used to be a member up in Glenview, place is very small; free weights area is tiny.. the machines they have are ancient..although it`s nice to have the pool.

One of my mates was a member at Glenview. His take is like Woofstuff's — gym is small, little free weights zone, not much floor space for mat work, etc. In practice, what this meant was it was useable in comfort only during off-peak times, so for anyone wanting to drop in after work their 45 minute routine would stretch to over an hour due to waiting on machines, weights, and other gear.

He also said that some facility or other is often out of order. The sauna, the steam room, the jacuzzi, the hot tub — and that the hot tub is rarely hot.

But good for swimmers and grand if you are able to go off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tinkerbella

Hi Arklow, did you go for it in the end?

I'm a member for a long time now, about 8 years I think and won't be renewing my membership despite the cheaper rates I'm being offered.

I think it's really gone downhill the last couple of years and seems to be really oversubscribed. The changing rooms are my main problem, I go straight from work certain days and have to que for space to get changed as the place is overrun with children coming/going for swimming lessons. Same when I'm finished, wait again for showers and dodge badly controlled children when I'm waiting.

The gym is small and has been updated very little within the last few years, machinery often is out of use and slow to be fixed.

I'd stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NewArklow2012

No Tinkerbella, didnt in the end. With all the negative feedback and the fact that they would not budge on price I decided against it

Advertisement