Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying my electricity account

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I might be strange; but I want to talk to an agent when paying on the telephone; it does mean that someone has to be employed;
    However the electricity company have a very strange policy, one gives the account number, name and address and the amount, at this point they ask for my phone number, a security question, and then my date of birth further security, I give them the laser number etc, no no they exclaim we need you to answer the security question.
    Why you have all the necessary information, it is not that some total stranger is going to pay the bill, if they are does that matter?
    Can someone tell me why in this modern age Electric Ireland operate a very peculiar system, most of the operators give up in sheer despair ; and accept the laser number.
    To make matters worse their telephone system is dire with the agent breaking up and the whole quality dismal in this day and age.
    Yes I know I can go and pay in An Post, but that is not my choice I like to pay on my own terms, it is my money.
    Anyone know or work for Electric Ireland can explain why there needs to be security when paying an account, very baffled,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's probably policy: to ensure a consistent and secure service reps are probably under instruction to do certain checks on all calls. There may also be system limitations without the correct answer being inputted/selected by the agent. Even the agent taking a payment would be considered making a change to the account, and that puts responsibility on them to ensure the person doing it is allowed to do so.

(And you would be surprised: someone may be ringing up to "just pay", but lots of identity theft stars with people calling to do innocuous things and escalate there. They find a loophole in a company and work it - "I'm just calling to x: would you mind updating my mobile number" followed by "oh yes, I need to change my landline", soon followed by "I need to change my address" etc using the previously changed details as verification. This isn't nessecarily the case for Electric Ireland, but alongside the obvious Data Protection concerns, it's one of the reasons why call centres put these procedures in place)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's a talk to section here for Electric Ireland, you could PM a MOD to move your thread there, but they will just tell you that it is policy.

Dont worry though, length of time on a call is a KPI for call center staff, it must be seriously in EI's interests to make you go through the security questions and keep the line busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally the KPI is to keep the call as short as possible in call centres, not as long as possible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is really all about Data Protection and security. If Electric Ireland and other companies don't adopt this kind of process, then other people will be complaining that their account was accessed incorrectly.

There is a second level to consider. When you are sure that the right person is calling for the account, then the payment will be applied correctly. Imagine if you rang up and said I want to pay for Paddy Murphy from Killarney. If the customer service agent took you at your word, and accepted the payment, it could easily be applied to the wrong account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

thanks, it seems I was a bit of a burke to say the least, valuable lesson but very discreetly put, once again many thanks, Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Most call centres are poorly managed and resistant to change. This is simply an example of an over zealous data protection policy.

There is no reason why data protection needs to come into payments, if the flow of information is in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Bepolite wrote: »
    Most call centres are poorly managed and resistant to change. This is simply an example of an over zealous data protection policy.

There is no reason why data protection needs to come into payments, if the flow of information is in one direction.

Utility companies tend to be over zealous due to the fall out from data protection law being broken, huge fines, loss of customers etc. Also with utilities many accounts can have the same address listed on them due to many houses being in the same town land so it makes it easier to differentiate. Would you be happy OP if your personal details were given out to someone in error?

Utility companies tend to be over zealous due to the fall out from data protection law being broken, huge fines, loss of customers etc. Also with utilities many accounts can have the same address listed on them due to many houses being in the same town land so it makes it easier to differentiate. Would you be happy OP if your personal details were given out to someone in error?

There's a robust, well maintained and thought out system and then there are systems that are put in place, difficult and never reviewed. It actually tends to be static, badly reviewed systems that are breached rather than ones that are periodically reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It's not one direction. You will know how much the leccy bill is for. That gives you a lot of information about a household. If it's a small house with a large bill, they may have high priced leccy items [large TV, console, PC's other].

Data protection is absolute, regardless if the data SEEMS to be one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a bit odd as if you're phoning into the automated system, you just need the account number and your payment card number and it will process the whole thing automatically without any confirmation of security details.

It just wants your money!

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    It's not one direction. You will know how much the leccy bill is for. That gives you a lot of information about a household. If it's a small house with a large bill, they may have high priced leccy items [large TV, console, PC's other].

Data protection is absolute, regardless if the data SEEMS to be one way.

Who said anything about them giving info out on the bill? A number of companies will allow payments on an account where the person calling asks to make a payment. Information flows in one direction only.

I actually work in a role that deals with this on a semi regular basis for a large firm with a very good record for data protection.

Who said anything about them giving info out on the bill? A number of companies will allow payments on an account where the person calling asks to make a payment. Information flows in one direction only.

I actually work in a role that deals with this on a semi regular basis for a large firm with a very good record for data protection.

When the money comes out of the payers account, they know the bill amount.

RangeR wrote: »
    When the money comes out of the payers account, they know the bill amount.

I see where you are coming from. I suppose in the context of 'paying the bill' you are correct. It's perfectly possible to make a payment without disclosing this info though, and is done by quite a few companies, without issue in relation to data protection.

Whilst phoning the Electric Ireland I do it for one reason it gives people a job, yes there is a fully automated system or I could pop into the post office.
    However using automated this or that just takes people out of the loop, however I still fail to see what security is at risk, my date of birth is absolute bull****e as is my telephone number.
    But I have appreciated all the comments and explanations, if I am paying an account or it can happen that some other person could be paying it for me, in view of the short dating of accounts, I take it they would not accept the money.
    Yes direct debit, yes the ESB stopped payment through credit cards many moons ago; whilst it is an easy option with a Visa card I do not feel inclined to go that route, when it suits them.
    Probably an age related problem, but thanks, I will go to the post office from now on.

Only comment on the above is that the post office also employ people and they're not likely to be relocated to Eastern Europe or India at the drop of a hat! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest, paying at the Post Office will sustain more jobs than calling the Electric Ireland call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hopi watcher

Steer well clear of the electricity prepay meters being advertised, they are much more expensive and when you run out of money your power is switched off by ythe meter. Very dangerous where there are eldely people or children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Steer well clear of the electricity prepay meters being advertised, they are much more expensive and when you run out of money your power is switched off by ythe meter. Very dangerous where there are eldely people or children.

Or pretty much anyone if you are relying on electricity for your heating and we had a cold snap like the winter of a couple of years ago.

Very good warning, it needs something more said on the matter, it stands to reason these idea's are only to make money for someone and it sure isn't us.
    I will keep clear of old people and children for sure.

Hang on. PAYG ANYTHING is always more expensive that bill pay. In any sector. The main benefit is that it allows you to control your spending. The idea is not to top up every time the meter runs out. The customer has to take some responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Hopi watcher

RangeR, we are talking here about a basic utility, the point is if people know how much more expensive prepay is would they sign up? They'd want to soft in the head, Why give your hard earned money away. By the way PAYG is not always dearer and in fact it should always be cheaper given the supplier has guaranteed pay and there is no need for a credit period. As I said on another thread, this is beginning to look very much like a rip-off. Everyone be careful.

Advertisement