Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inboard volvo diesel 50hp hard to get out of reverse ?

• 18-09-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Inboard volvo diesel 50hp hard to get out of reverse ?

Has anybody come across this before and can offer any suggestions !

Boat will go, into forward and reverse handy enough, but won't go back into neutral from reverse unless pushed into forward and then back to neutral.

Linkage was removed and checked, but when engaging forward and reverse gear by hand at the gearbox , its working perfectly with engine off ,
    however when ticking over with prop in water it will come out of forward by hand easily , but almost impossible to move shifter at gearbox to neutral from reverse, as if there's too much load and gears are Locked together.

All suggestions appreciated. Some of my thoughts below that are not ruled out.
    1.Engine tick over too high, - I don't think so, not affecting forward
    2. Prop shaft stiffer in reverse than forward , causing higher load on reverse gears meshing, due to a possible number of issues, like bearing wear or prop fouled with rope, its a sail boat so can't be checked on land yet.
    3. Internal issue in gearbox like worn bush on selector shaft which does seem a bit sloppy by hand.
    4 linkage issues have effectively being ruled out do to testing.

Cheers and thanks for any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

have you checked the gearbox for oil? sometimes they can be hard to get in and out of gear when the oil is low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

davlacey wrote: »
    have you checked the gearbox for oil? sometimes they can be hard to get in and out of gear when the oil is low

No not low

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sounds like a problem with the gearbox maybe the clutch or the selector linkage is worn.
    Have you got a make and model of the gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

fergal.b wrote: »
    Sounds like a problem with the gearbox maybe the clutch or the selector linkage is worn.
    Have you got a make and model of the gearbox.

Yeah I was thinking the selector shaft has to much lateral slop in it,althought this is springy slop like its supposed to be made.
    No I don't have the model but its in a sail boat with the selector located on the left Side of the gearbox as you look at it from behind the engine. The selector is brass and shaped a bit like a cross bow about 60 to 70 mm across. It's a Volvo diesel with matching gearbox paint, boat built by moody. So more than likely what volvo supply.
    I purposely temporarily over compensated on the linkage adjustment too see if this helped but no , so it's defo in the box or there's too much load on it in reverse, it's like trying to pull a car out of gear going up a hill as against it easily coming out of gear on the overrun.

Advertisement