Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus collection in Rush tomorrow?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Just found a card through the door:

"We collect all kinds of everything"
    "Please leave items outside"
    "Collection tomorrow at 11am"

Mentions garden equipment, ornaments, bikes, toys and other stuff.
    Be careful what you leave in your garden tonight!!

No contact number or affiliation mentioned either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Have reported it to Balbriggan Gardaí, they will inform the lads and keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

Is there actually anything illegal about it if they are not pretending to be a charity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When they go & help themselves to anything they fancy taking from your premises when it wasn't intended for collection - it becomes theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

I get ya !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry I didn't have time to post this earlier...

On Friday, a blue NI-reg van with an amber hazard light mounted on the rear, pulled into the (unattended) yard by my house & a couple of lads were having a good nose around until I went out. Looking for scrap metal allegedly. I told them to leave & that there was nothing to be taken from the yard.

The main man was a 'pushy' sort & kept asking if there was anything he could take. I politely told him to get off the premises immediately.

Anyway, this is just a heads-up on this chap. He's been around the Blackhills a few times before. I'm not saying that he's up to no good, but when people drive on to private property uninvited looking to take stuff & show a reluctance to leave when told - my Spidey-senses start tingling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/WasteManagementandRecycling/RecyclingFacilities/WEEECollectioninDonabateSkerries5thOct2013/

Free Collection of WEEE and Batteries on Saturday 5th October 2013 in Donabate and Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

From now until Christmas there will be plenty of this. We will also hear of bikes etc being stolen anything that can e touched up a little and sold is valuable to someone. Keep your kids toys in back of your house.

I had a call from someone over Neil_sedakas neighbourhood about someone collecting door to door in the area for Focus Ireland. Not a hope. They were looking for sponsorship!!

LeoB wrote: »
    I had a call from someone over Neil_sedakas neighbourhood about someone collecting door to door in the area for Focus Ireland. Not a hope. They were looking for sponsorship!!

He called to me too. Said he was doing a sponsored walk in the city centre to raise funds for ID cards for the homeless.
    He greeted me with his name and address (address was fairly close by)

Are you sure this one is a scam? He seemed genuine enough, but I asked him to call back another time as I had no change. That was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Sorry I didn't have time to post this earlier...

On Friday, a blue NI-reg van with an amber hazard light mounted on the rear, pulled into the (unattended) yard by my house & a couple of lads were having a good nose around until I went out. Looking for scrap metal allegedly. I told them to leave & that there was nothing to be taken from the yard.

The main man was a 'pushy' sort & kept asking if there was anything he could take. I politely told him to get off the premises immediately.

Well if he found this scrap metal, he will be glowing in the dark

Be careful, this stuff could be dumped anywhere in DCN.

http://newstalk.ie/Warning-issued-over-radioactive-material-stolen-in-Dublin

Gardai say people should not approach or touch these items

The gardaí are warning the public to be on the look out for highly dangerous radioactive material which was stolen from a premises in north Dublin over the weekend.

They were taken during the course of a burglary in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

He called to me too. Said he was doing a sponsored walk in the city centre to raise funds for ID cards for the homeless.

Are you sure this one is a scam? He seemed genuine enough, but I asked him to call back another time as I had no change. That was last week.

Sorry for delay in getting back.

Spoke to focus Ireland and was told they DO NOT have door to door callers collecting cash.

If focus Ireland do call you might be asked to support them but you fill in a direct debit you should not be asked for money on your doorstep

• Advertisement

Cheers for the update Leo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

LeoB wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in getting back.

Spoke to focus Ireland and was told they DO NOT have door to door callers collecting cash.

If focus Ireland do call you might be asked to support them but you fill in a direct debit you should not be asked for money on your doorstep

Had the exact same, did not recognise the name or face and it all seemed a bit basic from what I could see, just said "no thanks", glad I did now.

Advertisement