Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Age Group Racing MOD WARNING POST 1

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE - I'm moving this because it was off topic in the other thread. BUT, I am very aware of the road this could go down, and I'm feeling very trigger happy after the past 2 weeks on here. Opinions, and counter-arguments ONLY, DO NOT attack any poster or participant involved.

any thoughts on Shane Scully blog on his website

http://www.shanescully.com/the-age-group-triathlete-delusion/

Have expressed my opinion already on what i think of the qualifying standards and why they should change.

The thoughts of an Irish competitor on the course with a beer in hand annoyed me....and a foreign competitor proposing near the finish chute annoyed me even more!! Totally taking the piss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Have expressed my opinion already on what i think of the qualifying standards and why they should change.

The thoughts of an Irish competitor on the course with a beer in hand annoyed me....and a foreign competitor proposing near the finish chute annoyed me even more!! Totally taking the piss.

My only thought?

Needs its own thread & lots of popcorn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

My only thought?

Needs its own thread & lots of popcorn!!

Oh no you don't. I'm not taking the day off work to moderate that car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I am revoking my shunning of boards. <snip> no need for this addition

I agree with Shane completely. Its a total farce, a cash cow bled mercilessly by the NGBs. The numbers that can "qualify" have increased year on year on year.

Even if you put higher standards on the qualification process its still a completely pointless exercise.

Look at the people winning and podiuming in domestic races, then look at those going to the worlds. Now look at the intersection of these sets. Wow its empty......

You won your AG group at the worlds "I'm the best in the world at that AG", nope just the best of those that's not figured it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In fairness SS is right. I got caught in that whole "representing Ireland" feeling the first time i went to one of these "champs" but soon realised (as soon as i got hit for the costs!) its a fundraiser for the elite race. Its as much an achievement as doing any race in the country and should be praised as much as that. It is ridiculous that people think they have represented their country as they have done anything more than send an application in and pay a small fortune.

Id probably go along for the fun of it all if the costs weren't so extreme. I mean first they get you with a ridiculous "application fee" then theres an entrance fee, then you pay for "team support" (last time i checked you did anyway). And when your bank balance is already in the red they hit you for the Irish trisuit lark. I know the Ironman and Challenge races aint cheap but I feel they offer a lot more for the fee. Theres the whole ironman tattoo debate there too though.

If it makes people happy then fair play to them but i can see how it gets under SS's skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have seen some of the 'Triathletes' that qualify and represent Ireland in the Euro and World championships. I think TI need to set a qualifying standard.. not just a slot allocation.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    I have seen some of the 'Triathletes' that qualify and represent Ireland in the Euro and World championships. I think TI need to set a qualifying standard.. not just a slot allocation.

Simple enough

male : "do you have a single digit body fat percentage?"
    female : "do you have a mid teen body fat percentage?"

I'm going to get accused of sitting on the fence.

I see where Shane is coming from and whilst I agree with a lot of what he says (and have said similiar myself) why the stress about it?

I say, so what.

If someone wants to race AG so be it. If someone qualifies to race for 'Ireland' either by selection process or roll down, so what. We're Irish and proud to be Irish no matter how good or bad we are at triathlon.

Yes, it might devalue the essence of representing your country on an International stage. It's not what I expected when I started triathlon. To me representing your country meant being the best at what you do, wearing the Irish shirt, or qualifying for the Olympics meant the hard work you put in earned you that shirt.

So what if AGers don't put in the same work, so what if the bar is laid low to entry. So what if it's all people aspire to do in the bucket list box ticking kind of way that is normal now.

Triathlon is individual so who cares what the others do as long as you are in front of them (and they're not drafting!!)

Springs to mind NSFW

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    Simple enough

male : "do you have a single digit body fat percentage?"
    female : "do you have a mid teen body fat percentage?"

i know a couple of people who fit that who would

a) drown during the swim
    b) need an arrow to tell them which way to face on the bike
    c) run only in the event two of them were going for the last available free weights bench at the gym

so agree completely, twould be highly entertaining tv :D

on a more serious, the last few posts answer one of my questions at least, being new to the sport(first season) i was surprised at some of the times posted by the qualifiers, the course didn't look especially tough, yet some of the times were mid pack for most of the races i've done, so seemed strange. Making a bit more sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I myself would much rather see Triathlon Ireland and other ngb's go about it this way.

I will use Kevin Thornton as an example

TI: Kevin, well done on another dominating win, its looking good for you in the National Series. We would be proud for you to represent us in the World Championship as we think you have a real shot of winning.

Don't worry about costs - we will cover everything.
    You wont be out of pocket

Instead its a ridiculously easy qualifying system where anyone that has the readies to hand can represent their country. TI send a "support" team to handle these "athletes", which to me just looks like a jolly for the lads. I bet they were disappointed it was only in London this year, kitzbuhel next year - thats more like it, better send out a few TI boys to check out the accommodation and recce the course - why not go in March and do a few days skiing while we are at it :D

It seems like one big money drain, paying for the Ireland tri suits, the track suits, an outrageous entry fee and some of the hidden charges that Ed has listed that I didn't even know about

pgibbo wrote: »
    The last km
    That now famous NUMPTY comment

Not as famous as this Numpty is going to be.
    It was an obscure event called the ITU World Triathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Have to say I understand and agree with SS points on Age group qualification times. I have experienced triathletes boasting about winning their AG in Mickey mouse races and find it infuriating:

'Many of these entrants are year 2 triathletes and are the type that do this so as to brag about it to their friends in the office or on Facebook the next day.'

However, reading his blog, I think if you want to make a point then simply just make it - just don't insult all around you:

'Everyone and their dog seems to have pulled on an Irish trisuit at this stage. There are no minimum standards required. If my mother took up triathlon next summer, she could probably qualify to represent Ireland within a week of starting training. To me, that is not right.'

This last blog in particular certainly would not endear SS to the public or to sponsors for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I (perhaps naively) thought an Ireland AG shirt was an aspirational goal, ie get fitter so you can hit the top 5 in the NS points or top 5 in NC races in your AG. Is it the case that places aren't been taken up, meaning that the offer trickles down to... what level?

(Agree that the top 1 or 2 going should be fully funded from TI fees or from other AG'ers costs).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I (perhaps naively) thought an Ireland AG shirt was an aspirational goal, ie get fitter so you can hit the top 5 in the NS points or top 5 in NC races in your AG. Is it the case that places aren't been taken up, meaning that the offer trickles down to... what level?

(Agree that the top 1 or 2 going should be fully funded from TI fees or from other AG'ers costs).

Every country has a quota of 20 persons per AG per sex in all events.

Effectively if you want to go you can go.
    That level.

Anyone by anyone's definition of triathlete can go.

Disagree with top 1/2 being funded. That's 1/2 per AG, that's alot of money diverted from the actual Elites and future Elites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Every country has a quota of 20 persons per AG per sex in all events.

that many? did we even fill those numbers if that is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

The AG champs remind me of the Special Olympics!

While appropriate in the Special Olympics' case, can a huge number from one country (280 Irish entrants for the World Champs) be right!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How does the selection process work in other countries? Take the U.S for example, does anyone know how they select their team?

mossym wrote: »
    that many? did we even fill those numbers if that is the case?

Like alot of posters are saying anyone can go. <Snip>, no need to go there

For 2014 from the TI site for the Worlds

5 slots available to the top five in each AG in a particular race (TBC which one)
    5 slots available to the top five in each AG in a different particular race (TBC which one)
    5 slots available to the top five in each AG in National Series 2013
    5 slots available to the top five in each AG to Irish Athletes Based Outside of Ireland

Then any remaining slots (which is lots) go into the Selection Pool

So effectively unless there are 20 faster people who have all done one of the four "qualification criteria" and actually want to go you will get a slot.

Disagree with top 1/2 being funded. That's 1/2 per AG, that's alot of money diverted from the actual Elites and future Elites.

I meant top 1 or 2 from the overall NS, and/or from the NC races (as in 1,2 across the line). So there would be a reward for someone who is not Elite standard, to up their game to be as good as the NS can be.

It could surely be funded from the pot of other AG'ers, if there are really that many going. But generally, yeah, High Performance funding>AG funding.

Anyone who has gone, how much is race entry/application/trisuit (are travel costs discounted?)

I meant top 1 or 2 from the overall NS, and/or from the NC races (as in 1,2 across the line). So there would be a reward for someone who is not Elite standard, to up their game to be as good as the NS can be.

But that defeats the whole person of Age Group racing (not saying I agree with that either)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

The National Series is not weighted properly to ensure fair qualification . Different races different fields different points.

Qualification should be based on 1 race.

To qualify to race Sprint worlds you must come in the top 3 of your age group at the Irish Sprint National Championships in the year you race

Same for Olympic. U must come in the top 3 in your age group at the National Olympic Distance Champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I (perhaps naively) thought an Ireland AG shirt was an aspirational goal, ie get fitter so you can hit the top 5 in the NS points or top 5 in NC races in your AG. Is it the case that places aren't been taken up, meaning that the offer trickles down to... what level? .

In many cases it's a money thing - the further away the races the easier it is to get a slot as fewer will want to travel. How hard will it be to get an AG slot at the worlds in Canada next year I wounder? Nor very hard I'd say.

I'm torn on the issue, I think being able to aim for an AG slot is a great incentive for the amateur racer to aim for but without minimum standards it becomes a bit of a joke in some cases. As pointed out above, you could 'qualify' for the worlds on the basis of a last place in your one and only tri as long as you are a TI member, and that is just plain wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The National Series is not weighted properly to ensure fair qualification . Different races different fields different points.

Qualification should be based on 1 race.

To qualify to race Sprint worlds you must come in the top 3 of your age group at the Irish Sprint National Championships in the year you race

Same for Olympic. U must come in the top 3 in your age group at the National Olympic Distance Champs.
    But are those in the top 3 bothering to apply to do the worlds?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

"The thoughts of an Irish competitor on the course with a beer in hand annoyed me"

Did this annoy you?

hansen.jpg?w=474&h=309

But that defeats the whole person of Age Group racing (not saying I agree with that either)

I guess it does. Or shows them up for the bit of silliness they are- plenty of M40s beating M25s as it stands.

fluboy wrote: »
    "The thoughts of an Irish competitor on the course with a beer in hand annoyed me"

Did this annoy you?

hansen.jpg?w=474&h=309

What country is he representing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Oryx wrote: »
    But are those in the top 3 bothering to apply to do the worlds?

Apart from Kevin Thornton, I don't believe they are. I could be wrong there but I don't think anyone else that finished top 3 in a NS race traveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

He is representing Austrailia.

In the same way that Nicolas Roche and Dan Martin represent Ireland while cycling for a professional cycling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would suggest he is representing Lotto-Belisol here.

In the same way that Nicolas Roche and Dan Martin represent Ireland while cycling for a professional cycling team.

So tell me how the picture is related? Does the relation end at the beer in the hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I am going to take all this down and let Tunney become the Boards triathlon villain again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement