Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very very disapointed

Options
  • 18-09-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I moved into our new home on Saturday 31st August having called the prevous week to transfer my phone and broadband to the new house. I as told the phone would be live on Tuesday 6th- which it is was not. I called and the very nice chap clearly put through some sort of rush order and the phone worked, great - not too bad so far. Was told broadand was ordered and would be live 5 to 10 days.  Plugged in my router to have it ready in case it was earlier. Shortly after all lights came on and there was an internet connection, great. It was really very slow so I rang and was told there should be no connection and that the broadband was due to be switched on on the 17th, yesterday. No speed increase so I called this morning. Lady on the phone told me my broadband was on since the 11th and the previous lady should not have said anything about the 17th as this was not true!??

So my broadband is on apparently with the mighty speed of 0.7mb!!!!!due to being far away from the exchange. Eircom were very quick to commit me to a 12 month contract, which I also want looked into as I don't believe this was done honestly in a transparrent manner. I was given the impression that I needed to sign up for another 12 months in order to have my service transfered over. It was only when I came off the phone that I realised I may have had a choice whether to commit to another 12 months -  I would like this investigated too please, Eircom have been trying very persisitently to sign me up for a further 12 months for a couple of years now.

I need thave my boadband speed investigated, 0.7mb is not broadband and I refuse to pay broadband fee for those kind of speeds. 0.7mb does not come close to the spirit of "up to 8mb" statements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

murphym7 wrote: »
    I moved into our new home on Saturday 31st August having called the prevous week to transfer my phone and broadband to the new house. I as told the phone would be live on Tuesday 6th- which it is was not. I called and the very nice chap clearly put through some sort of rush order and the phone worked, great - not too bad so far. Was told broadand was ordered and would be live 5 to 10 days.  Plugged in my router to have it ready in case it was earlier. Shortly after all lights came on and there was an internet connection, great. It was really very slow so I rang and was told there should be no connection and that the broadband was due to be switched on on the 17th, yesterday. No speed increase so I called this morning. Lady on the phone told me my broadband was on since the 11th and the previous lady should not have said anything about the 17th as this was not true!??

So my broadband is on apparently with the mighty speed of 0.7mb!!!!!due to being far away from the exchange. Eircom were very quick to commit me to a 12 month contract, which I also want looked into as I don't believe this was done honestly in a transparrent manner. I was given the impression that I needed to sign up for another 12 months in order to have my service transfered over. It was only when I came off the phone that I realised I may have had a choice whether to commit to another 12 months -  I would like this investigated too please, Eircom have been trying very persisitently to sign me up for a further 12 months for a couple of years now.

I need thave my boadband speed investigated, 0.7mb is not broadband and I refuse to pay broadband fee for those kind of speeds. 0.7mb does not come close to the spirit of "up to 8mb" statements.
    Hi murphym7

When a move of service is performed a 12 month contract renewal is compulsory.

There is nothing that can be done to improve speeds affected by distance to the exchange however if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look into your service and see if there is any scope for improvement.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hi murphym7

There is nothing that can be done to improve speeds affected by distance to the exchange however if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look into your service and see if there is any scope for improvement.

Thanks

Al
    Thanks for looking into this. If this is the maximum speed I can get what are my options? I can't believe that it would be acceptable to be locked into a 12 month broadband contract with speeds of just 0.75mb. That is outrageous. Please see what you can do but I would not be happy with paying for that speed while locked into 12 months with Eircom. PM sent. Thanks again.

Hi murphym7

Thanks

Al
    Thanks for looking into this. If this is the maximum speed I can get what are my options? I can't believe that it would be acceptable to be locked into a 12 month broadband contract with speeds of just 0.75mb. That is outrageous. Please see what you can do but I would not be happy with paying for that speed while locked into 12 months with Eircom. PM sent. Thanks again.
    Hi murphym7

Your line is at a distance from the exchange however it is more than capale of holding faster speeds than what you are experiencing.

My tests confirm that your line should be able to hold around 3 to 4 mb and the core issue here is interference.

Every test I have conducted is showing that Interference is causing your speeds to run so slow.

My results indicate that the is interference is on your end and it would be the way the modem and phone are connected or possible faulty equipment.

What I'm talking about here is that the set up could be wrong and/or there could be a faulty splitter, faulty splitter or faulty modem.

This usually always happens if there are more than one telephone sockets on the premises but not specific to this case.

Firstly, please run a speed test to establish what speed you’re running at and then plug the modem directly to your socket (eliminating any phone connection) and run the same test.

If the speed improves whilst the modem is plugged directly to the socket then that shows the issues are a result of the current set up you have.

To ensure an accurate set up and eradicate the interference please try this link for further advice on connecting your equipment to accordingly to eliminate interference: http://bit.ly/PIBDSK

If the advice provided in the link I added does not help please contact eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260 (option 0) where they will guide you through eliminating this interference.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hi murphym7

Thanks

Al
    Hi murphym7

Your line is at a distance from the exchange however it is more than capale of holding faster speeds than what you are experiencing.

My tests confirm that your line should be able to hold around 3 to 4 mb and the core issue here is interference.

Every test I have conducted is showing that Interference is causing your speeds to run so slow.

My results indicate that the is interference is on your end and it would be the way the modem and phone are connected or possible faulty equipment.

What I'm talking about here is that the set up could be wrong and/or there could be a faulty splitter, faulty splitter or faulty modem.

This usually always happens if there are more than one telephone sockets on the premises but not specific to this case.

Firstly, please run a speed test to establish what speed you’re running at and then plug the modem directly to your socket (eliminating any phone connection) and run the same test.

If the speed improves whilst the modem is plugged directly to the socket then that shows the issues are a result of the current set up you have.

To ensure an accurate set up and eradicate the interference please try this link for further advice on connecting your equipment to accordingly to eliminate interference: http://bit.ly/PIBDSK

If the advice provided in the link I added does not help please contact eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260 (option 0) where they will guide you through eliminating this interference.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

I plugged the modem directly into the socket and speed has increased up to 3mb, I am happy out with that. I will go away and replace the splitter and I am sorted. Thanks a million for you help, it did the trick. I will head off now with a red face after my previous rant!

Hi murphym7

Thanks

Al
    Hi murphym7

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

I plugged the modem directly into the socket and speed has increased up to 3mb, I am happy out with that. I will go away and replace the splitter and I am sorted. Thanks a million for you help, it did the trick. I will head off now with a red face after my previous rant!
    No worries murphym7

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement