Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partner at the end of his rope!!!!!!

Options
  • 18-09-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies and gents,

just wondering whats the general consensus on Napping?

Back ground is, 17 month old daughter.. usually up around half seven, bottle then breakfast.. usually naps around 12 for an hour, or an hour and fifteen the most as it effects her night time sleep otherwise. Bottle before bed usually outcold by 8 at the latest...

Since monday she has been going nuts when my partner tries to put her down for a nap.
    He says shes in fine form.. except when nap is mentioned.
    Usual routine.. is her 10 min cartoon, warm water and shes lies on his chest with her taggy and goes to sleep. We then put her on the floor in her sleeping bag (on a mat not on the floor). This may sound odd/wrong/terrible, but shes never "napped" in cot, used to be on the couch, till she worked out how to get off.. and the floor just works for us. (please dont have us arrested :( )

But now shes just not interested, and I think my partner is feeling the strain. He usually gets an hour to him self to read or shower or make dinner or clean or just have a hassle free cup of coffee. but not this week. and I feel terrible for him :( Hes stay at home (no work in construction where we live and i work 40 hrs a week)

Is it not very early for her to be growing out of naps? Last night the child was wall falling by 7, which is very early for her "usually", and asked for her bottle and went straight to sleep...

I know not every child is the same, but it just seems very early to cut them out?

I should say that shes not walking, but shes Schumacher crawling!! Lightening fast.. and walks holding couch/wall/rads etc etc..

Any ideas? or just let (non) sleeping dogs lie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Aggh my post got eaten...

What I had said was

1) No one here will judge you on where your child naps, if my son required a coal sack to nap in, I'd probably arrange it.

2) She seems too young to give up a nap, I think that happens somewhere around 2 1/2?

3) Most likely a phase, he probably just needs to keep trying her and she'll get back into it. This is what I had to do with my fella. If still no joy by end of weekend, maybe try other things to help her nap - wheeling buggy around etc

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

If she likes napping the floor, leave her. I wouldn't judge someone for that at all.

Around the same age my little girl went through a phase like that. She refused to go for a nap for a few weeks, but she eventually got back into wanting one. She's 21 months now, and the odd day she will still refuse a nap but generally naps for about 90 mins everyday. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I feel your/his pain. My 22 month old stopped napping a few weeks ago. The naps stopped out of the blue, she just began refusing to sleep. Like you i thought 19/20 months was too young to stop naps but i couldnt get around her at all. Her bedtime is now 730 as opposed to 8/830 but i admit i miss that hour during the day to wash/cook/chill! Maybe your little one has just outgrown naps

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks so much with the replies...
    He got her down for a half hour at about half one. He brought her for a walk.. maybe shes just having a few days off for herself.
    I do feel bad for him tho.. Its a big change for him from being the breadwinner/working 7-7.. to being at home with a young child.
    Ughhhh ... oh to live in a perfect world huh!

p.s. i posted the "dont arrest us" comment cuz M.I L. ate me one day when she called over and the child asleep on the floor :eek:
    before having our daughter i would have also said "whatever works for ya go for it", but its seems thats not everyones thinking haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

It certainly is a huge change for him. I work three days and I sometimes find it hard being home all day alone with baby on my off days. I mainly only feel like this when going through tough times (bad teething, whinging, me feeling poorly etc).

But even on the best of days, where I'm having lots of fun playing with him, I still love that nap time to go sit with a cup of tea unmolested for half an hour.

Mammies & daddies need their own form of nap time I reckon!

I wonder is there any kind of set up at a crèche, either a standard one or one at a shopping centre where you can have a drop in service. You know what I mean - like they used to have one in a Superquinn near me so you could go off for 1/2 hr, hour to get your shopping done.

Honestly, if my fella stopped napping, I'd find a local childminder that would take him for an hour so that I could take a short break and catch up on some stuff.

• Advertisement

no not at all (live in the back hole of beyond)
    and even when my sister was working in the local creche they wouldnt do a drop in like that, and no way we could afford fulltime.

We bring her to the soft play areas in castlebar so she can mingle with her own age, but thats about it...
    Ah shes a great kid really, dont get me wrong, but yeah, daddy needs his own time too.. He usually "clocks off" before the keys are out of the ignition when i get home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Again, not a criticism.

Our physiology tells us not to go to sleep when we are cold (in contrast, we find it difficult to wake up when too hot) - it has been colder the last week than previously. Might the floor be colder than you think?

i dont think so, and i only say i dont think so, because shes only put on the floor when asleep.. so in theory this is happening when trying to get her to sleep on her dads chest..

wish it were as simple as that tho!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My 17 month old still has 2 naps, though the second one is starting to fizzle out.
    I found napping became more difficult just before he started walking, it was like his brain was all revived up putting all the pieces together.
    As soon as he started walking he went back to sleeping normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My 2 went through this at the start of the Summer, I found a walk from 11:30 - 12:00 did the trick. I would make the bottle before the walk and bring the two of them straight in the door, bottle , bed.

I think I would have gone back to work full time if they didnt nap at the time. Now at 19 months he still sleeps for 1 hour 12-1pm. He acts drunk if he gets no nap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SeventySix

My daughter is starting to drop a nap at 14 months!! She will only do 30 - 40 minutes in creche (3 days a week) and the other days will do between 1-2 hours, thankfully. She only every took one nap, has been a bad day time sleeper since she was born. The days that she only sleeps 30-40 minutes she is fine in the evening, not extra cranky or tired seeming. She sleeps 12 - 13 hours every night. I think some babies need less sleep than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I haven't read all the replies, but check out the wonder weeks. The 18 month one would be around now for you and can mess with their sleep. As can buy developments, maybe her language or walking might take a jump soon.
    Wherever she's happy sleeping is where she's happy, better on a mat than falling on the couch!

My son stopped napping at 16 months bar the odd nap in the cat. Some just don't seem to need as much sleep I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

liliq wrote: »
    My son stopped napping at 16 months bar the odd nap in the cat.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Victor wrote: »
    :D

That's what lack of naps will do to ya! ;)

Advertisement