Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB throttled to 1Mb/s. Will this change with Efibre?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My NGB connection is currently throttled at 1 Mb/s. This was set by broadband support because (they said) the line into my house could not handle a higher bandwith. Even though I could get 2.7Mb/s before the NGB upgrade.

Will this change if I upgrade to Efibre. The new cab is about 30 metres from the house.

Thanks

Drake70

Also, I am eligible for Efibre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

drake70 wrote: »
    Hi,

My NGB connection is currently throttled at 1 Mb/s. This was set by broadband support because (they said) the line into my house could not handle a higher bandwith. Even though I could get 2.7Mb/s before the NGB upgrade.

Will this change if I upgrade to Efibre. The new cab is about 30 metres from the house.

Thanks

Drake70

Also, I am eligible for Efibre.
    Hi drake70

If your line qualifies for efibre this will deffinately not be the case. When ordering efibre you can ask for an indication of what speed you can expect and I'm very sure it will be alot more than 1mb.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Thanks Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Al
    No worries drake70

Al

UPDATE:

I have just had Efibre installed. Download rate is now 47 Mb/s on average. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

UPDATE:

I have just had Efibre installed. Download rate is now 47 Mb/s on average. Very happy.

Hi , would you be able to give us run through as to how the installation went . Will be ordering it soon myself and just curious .

• Advertisement

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Hi , would you be able to give us run through as to how the installation went . Will be ordering it soon myself and just curious .
    Sure.

I ordered online around 19th/20th September.

Then received two emails and two letters with general information. ( one of the letters had the installation date blank and a note stating if this was blank I would be contacted directly).

On the 4th October I received a text stating that an engineer would call on the afternoon of the 7th October for the installation. I also received a phone call form Eircom later that day confirming the same.

Today (11:45 approx. 07/10) the engineer rang to say he was at the cabinet and was about to start the upgrade, he then called over to the house about 10 - 15 mins later.

He installed a new junction box in the hall and then set up the new router. Once this was done I was able to run a speed test a few mins later and was getting around 47Mb/s down and 8Mb/s up.

I have just tested again:

3018501192.png

Very simple and quick process.

Just to say that the router has two USB ports which seem to be for streaming from portable HDD's, need to look into this more.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Sure.

Then received two emails and two letters with general information. ( one of the letters had the installation date blank and a note stating if this was blank I would be contacted directly).

On the 4th October I received a text stating that an engineer would call on the afternoon of the 7th October for the installation. I also received a phone call form Eircom later that day confirming the same.

Today (11:45 approx. 07/10) the engineer rang to say he was at the cabinet and was about to start the upgrade, he then called over to the house about 10 - 15 mins later.

He installed a new junction box in the hall and then set up the new router. Once this was done I was able to run a speed test a few mins later and was getting around 47Mb/s down and 8Mb/s up.

3018501192.png

Cheers mate , you seem to be one of the lucky ones who had a fairly incident free install . Let's hope this is the first of many .

Yeah, hopefully all others will be as good. The engineer said that mine was one of the first in the area.

Good luck with yours if you're going ahead with it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Sure.

On the 4th October I received a text stating that an engineer would call on the afternoon of the 7th October for the installation. I also received a phone call form Eircom later that day confirming the same.

3018501192.png

Cheers mate , you seem to be one of the lucky ones who had a fairly incident free install . Let's hope this is the first of many .
    I can confirm that a friend had his installed in a similar time over in Drogheda. Some customers may be unlucky due to the condition of the line or other similar factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

30m from the cab! o my, what a delight..i'm about a mile along the road, or 300m as the crow flies, so don't expect anything like your speed..Good for you, enjoy it and hope it stays that good. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement