Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a NAS box with Ethernet and USB at the same time

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Probably asked this before, but I had no luck if I did.

I'm looking for a NAS box that I can load files onto via gigabit Ethernet preferably by FTP which will either be connected on the local LAN, or remotely (from outside the LAN), but which can be browsed locally by USB (by an Android mini-PC) at the same times. Most NAS boxes that I've found is either USB xor Ethernet, but not both at the same time.

The current setup is copy files to USB drive from PC, unplug USB drive, walk to other room, and plug USB drive into the Android mini-PC, and play files. Playing over the current network won't work as well, as it's via a homeplug setup that can't handle video from a machine on the LAN without freezing every couple of moments.

Would prefer something around the €50 mark, but acknowledge that I'll probably spend more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The only commercial product that allows this in even a limited way is the pricy Lacie d2 Network 2 drive series and that's limited to the creation of a 500GB Fat32 partition which will be available through the USB, the remaining space available only as network shares.

http://www.lacie.com/ie/products/product.htm?id=10476

Possibly feasible to create a homebrew version using a beaglebone device as it has a USB client port but would be a pretty technical project.

Would it not be possible to have the Mini-pc behave as the NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ressem wrote: »
    Would it not be possible to have the Mini-pc behave as the NAS?
    Have had limited success in finding Android software that will act as a server, with none actually working correctly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Woohoo, found this free FTP Server which works a charm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

the_syco wrote: »
    Have had limited success in finding Android software that will act as a server, with none actually working correctly :(

The Samba servers require the device to be rooted to work with the low numbered ports 139 and 445, but some of the webdav servers, set to use port 8080 or any port over 1024 should be able to work.

Advertisement