Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill 2014

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Any idea if the Art O'Neill will be going ahead again in January (for walkers)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

As far as I know, they are still trying to get approval from the Parks and Wildlife people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Slieve Rua

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Looks like I'm right. Here is the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-ONeill-Challenge/235486523164257?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Slieve Rua wrote: »
    Any idea if the Art O'Neill will be going ahead again in January (for walkers)?

It was a struggle to get a permit in 2013 and it was only agreed quite late. I also read somewhere after the 2013 event that it if AON happened in 2014 it would probably only be an event for runners but that said I am sure the organisers will try for a permit that allows as many entrants as possible and hopefully includes walkers.

The event has been running for years, long before its more commercial version, so there will be people doing the AON no matter what happens with the permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The event has been running for years, long before its more commercial version, so there will be people doing the AON no matter what happens with the permit.

That's what I thought too, I couldn't figure how the WMNP could be involved in issuing permits, as for years there have been a bunch of hardy souls meeting to do the walk and commemorate the event. There's nothing to stop anybody meeting up with a few pals and heading off. I guess that a paid entry & organised event falls into a different category

• Advertisement

I think the issue of permits only came up when the populartity of the event started to grow in 2012 when there were approx 450 entrants including runners and walkers. I believe that in 2013 there were even more people interested (I heard the figure of 7-800) and the national parks then started to get concerned. In fairness the organisers have really tried to limit the impact that the event has on the landscape and certainly in 2012 and particularly 2013 people were guided in small groups on different routes after the road section in order to limit 'beaten track' damage. Ballynabrocky was was also avoided at the request of the WMNP.

So it just remains to be seen if a compromise can be reached for 2014 but it would be a shame if a challenge that was primarily a walkers event becomes open to just ultra runners due to restrictions.

As you say Barry there is nothing to stop people just commemorating the history and walking the route independently but I have to say the atmosphere in Dublin Castle on the night plus the massed walk out of the city into the dark hills is pretty special. I think also a lot of people enjoy the fact that the event is organised with guides (if required) and return transport; There is a poster called Gravale who says they used to finish in Glenmalure then walk back over Lugduff and down into Glendalough to get the bus back to Dublin....not many would fancy that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Interesting how a thing can explode in popularity so quickly, I always thought the commemorative walk was the preserve of just the few. That said, I think that activities that have a link back into historical events should be encouraged. For example, it was good to see old graveyard at St.Ann's chapel up in Glenasmole being brought to wider public attention when it was incorporated into the Dublin Mountains Way. But then it was removed due to 'too many' people accessing the site. Not quite sure if this was in best interests of our heritage, as the public need to be encouraged to visit these places in order to appreciate and value them. The latter point of placing a value on heritage being the important aspect. Art O'Neill walk might be approaching same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Yes, it has been happening for many years, at least as far back as 1952. This link is from 1954. Art O'Neill Walk (early years).jpg

Before the present format was begun in 2009 the number of participants on the official walk has varied over the years, from as little as one or two up to sixty-two. It was organised in a very casual way whereby people would just turn up on the night and I'd lead them all as a single group to the finish. It was understood that everyone had to be self-supporting in every way. I handed out the following notice at Dublin Castle on the night:

PLEASE NOTE:
    THERE WILL BE NO SUPPORT DURING THE WALK
    THERE WILL BE NO TRANSPORT IF YOU WITHDRAW
    THERE WILL BE NO FOOD OR DRINK ALONG THE WAY
    YOU MUST FIND YOUR OWN WAY HOME AT THE FINISH
    THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LEADER

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED BEFORE YOU START OUT!

We never had an accident - I always carried a humane killer for such eventualities - or had to call Mountain Rescue, though on one occasion I got an irate phonecall from a guy's wife who was worried that her husband had not arrived home and that perhaps he might be lying in a ditch somewhere. As it happened he was drinking pints in Rathdrum.

At the finish (which sometimes went as far as Greenane) some had arranged their own transport home, while I would lead others on the VERY steep climb up to Lugduff and down to Glendalough for the St. Kevin's bus back to Dublin.

At the end of 2008 I was approached by Gearoid Towey who wished to organise a charitable event for his friend Stuart Mangan who had been paralyzed as a result of a rugby accident. I happily had no problem with his proposed organisation of the Art O'Neill Challenge for this commendable purpose. Phew! The pressure was off me finally! The rest, as they say, is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Just got the news that the NPWS have granted a permit for the Art O'Neill in 2014 so I will post details of their availability as soon as it's arranged.

There will not be any kind of waiting list. Places will be limited to 200 and will be on a strictly first come first served basis as that is the fairest way. I will put a post on Boards, on the AON Facebook page and on the AON website to say when the places will become available. After that it's up to you.

The spirit of the event is one of challenge and adventure and so the format of the event will stay the same with an Ultra, Hybrid and Walker element depending on who gets the places of course.

I will post updates as often as possible.

Regards,

AON2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lz8070

Thanks Declan. Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Much appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Good to see the event get a permit, well done, however, cannot understand the low limit on numbers. The underfoot damage the last time I did it in 12 was very limited and had well recovered by summer. Focus should be on illegal dumping, stolen cars being burnt out etc not on a healthy pursuit marking an historical moment by people with a sense of adventure and history

The only place where I saw noticeable erosion was alongside the Glenreemore Brook on the way up to the ascent (which is perpetually eroded) to Art's Cross. Various alternatives to this route were on offer in recent years, but at that stage of the journey people are very tired and are inclined to stay alongside the river.

Gravale wrote: »
    The only place where I saw noticeable erosion was alongside the Glenreemore Brook on the way up to the ascent (which is perpetually eroded) to Art's Cross. Various alternatives to this route were on offer in recent years, but at that stage of the journey people are very tired and are inclined to stay alongside the river.

In 2012 we followed the NE bank of the brook and then up the ramp to the cross. In 2013 we contoured up the high ground on the SW bank of the brook (approx O 029 002 - T 032 990). I think if I was doing it again I would choose the contoured route again. It was a more sustained effort compared to the short sharp ascent of the ramp but the climb was steady and the ground was a lot better, particularly higher up. I would also think the ground on the contoured route is less susceptable to erosion than the side of the brook which was very boggy and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

By far the quickest/easiest way is to cross Glenreemore Brook early and follow Asbawn Brook all the way to Three Lakes.
    This of course means missing Arts Cross altogether which may or may not be in the spirit of the event.

O the shame! ;)

There should be a rule ... you must touch Arts Cross when completing the AoN Challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i really want to do this, missed the cut-off last year.
    hopefully i've better luck this time around!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rockbrook

Super event last year hope to get a place again this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Eoin0603

I am hoping to do this event for the first time, limited to 200 with 130 likes on the facebook page! the challenge might be getting into it!

We hope to have registration opening very soon so fingers on your buzzers and apologies in advance for the unavoidable lottery.

If anyone is looking for a great training race you won't do better than Run The Line which is being organised by Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue who also do support on the Art O'Neill Challenge. The team have already responded to 100 callouts this year alone so they could do with your support. Check out http://www.runtheline.ie/ for more info.

Registration for the Art O'Neill will be opening on Sunday morning hopefully. If not it will open on Monday or Tuesday evening. Please keep an eye out on the Art O'Neill Facebook page, event website or Boards.ie for details. As soon as the system has been successfully tested we will notify you of the exact time it will go live.

All the best,
    AON Event Team

In the interest of fairness and not spoiling anyones weekend registration for places for the 2014 Art O'Neill will open on Monday, November 18th at 8.30pm in the evening.

Good luck.

I'm a 4 hour marathoner hoping to run the art ultra and was hoping to team up with somebody/some people who have decent navigational abilities so we can run as a team?

Granted none of us have a place yet but is anyone interested in principle?

Registration will go live very soon. With all the activity the site will probably be slow to respond so be patient. Please fill out all the details on the form accurately especially Race Category & contact details. Only one entry per person as this is the fairest way to do it with only 200 spots available. And, as Harvey Norman says….when the 200 spots are gone, they're really gone….Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Not much luck with the site.... :-(

The only hope I have is that everyone is having the same issues with the site :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Looks dead to me, can't connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

just loaded for me but looks the same as it did earlier

Advertisement