Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Great, i am in. Registration completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

through the page registration_new?

i just got that page to load and it's got the hillseekers training thing from earlier...

Remember, your max HR is 220 minus your age.. Did you exceed it?
    You are going to hate me:rolleyes: I was only messing...
    Can't connect either, site still hanging.
    AON challenge starts at registration time...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

911sc wrote: »
    Looks dead to me, can't connect.

dead for last 30 mins.............. any ideas??

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

they just posted on fb saying it's completely smashed and the more you try the more it'll reject you. helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

this sucks

AON FB wrote:
    Due to the level of activity on the site the link to the registration page is not working. It's now like queuing for an emergency exit….the more you rush the more you will have to wait.

Art just posted that the link to register isnt live yet becuase he can't get in either... So we may all take a deep breath Art ONeill Challenge The link to the registration page is not live yet because there is too much traffic on the site. Letting people know the time of registration was done in the interest of fairness so apologies for the level of interest in this great event. Not one place has been sold yet but as soon as I can access the site the registration link will be published. The more people hit the refresh button the longer this will take. Apologies for the virtual queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's off until tomorrow according to the FB page. Sleep easy....

I'd go for this only that it's 99 quid... Might go do it the night before/after with a few mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Registration is off for tonight, from the FB page -
    Sincere apologies but due to unprecedented traffic levels on the Art O'Neill website the registration page is not working. None of the places have been sold and we will post here about how we intend to avoid the traffic issue shortly. REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE GOING LIVE TONIGHT so you can go to sleep knowing that you won't be missing out. Once again sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Proposal to Art O'Neill Event Managers: Anybody wishing to participate on the event enters a draw by buying a €25 ticket with full proceeds going to the good people in the DWMRT (reckon around €12,000+), each ticket is numbered. Then in Great Outdoors numbers are drawn from a drum and first 200 numbers drawn determines the participants. Forget this inet approach, its been a shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Anybody know where I can get a new F5 button for tomorrow? Old one's worn out after tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Proposal to Art O'Neill Event Managers: Anybody wishing to participate on the event enters a draw by buying a €25 ticket with full proceeds going to the good people in the DWMRT (reckon around €12,000+), each ticket is numbered. Then in Great Outdoors numbers are drawn from a drum and first 200 numbers drawn determines the participants. Forget this inet approach, its been a shambles

That's an awful idea. They misjudged the demand. Easy to rectify. It's a small set up. Online is the fairest. Everyone has the same chance.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    That's an awful idea. They misjudged the demand. Easy to rectify. It's a small set up. Online is the fairest. Everyone has the same chance.

It's whomever pushes F5 at the time really. And has an excellent internet connection.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It's whomever pushes F5 at the time really. And has an excellent internet connection.

Exactly. F5 is fair. My experience in buying glastonbury tickets, is that internet speed isn't that much a factor. Just luck and a bit of perseverance. A lotto will only result in ppl not that arsed throwing in an entry.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

How was demand misjudged, it was obvious from Facebook and previous years interest demand would be high? Whats so awful about raising funds for a voluntary service that supports the AON and Hillwalker's 365 days a year ?

How was demand misjudged, it was obvious from Facebook and previous years interest demand would be high? Whats so awful about raising funds for a voluntary service that supports the AON and Hillwalker's 365 days a year ?

The website didn't work. That indicates the demand was misjudged.

That's quite the strawman argument re your idea. My criticism of your idea was to A) charge people €25 for the chance to enter an event and B) names out a hat. Issue isn't charity.

There's an excellent fundraiser for such a service on Sat that I hope to go. But let's not come up with knee jerk reactions over one website failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lz8070

Forget the whole issue of registration. My view is that the REAL issue is the National Parks & Wildlife Service not issuing a permit for more than 200 people. Have they issued a detailed breakdown of the reasons why they are limiting entry? If they have, does it stand up to scrutiny? Are we just talking about overpaid civil servants on a power trip??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Slieve Rua

In the event that I don't get in to this year's AON, is there any similiar type event somewhere in the country in January?

Slieve Rua wrote: »
    In the event that I don't get in to this year's AON, is there any similiar type event somewhere in the country in January?

Go yourself with a bunch of mates. Did it last year, similar time but still fun, probably do it again this year.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Go yourself with a bunch of mates. Did it last year, similar time but still fun, probably do it again this year.

that's what we're thinking of doing, will definitely post here if doing it, see how many are interested

• Advertisement

"Registration by lottery" ... "Registration details coming shortly" :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Art O’Neill Revised Registration Process

Due to the unprecedented demand for such a limited amount of places for the 2014 Art O’Neill Challenge we have decided to change the registration process to a lottery for places. We feel this is the fairest way for all interested parties to be in with a chance of a spot. Anyone who would like to take part email the following address but follow the directions below exactly.

Only emails received between 9pm, Tuesday, November 19th to midnight will be in with a chance.

All emails of interested parties are to be sent to art.oneill@mail.com

Any mails looking for places to the info@artoneillchallenge.ie will NOT be considered for the lottery.

The Subject Line must contain your intended Race Category ie Ultra, Hybrid or Walker.

Message Body must contain the following information only:
    • Full Name(of the person who will be using the place)
    • Guided or Unguided – please specify
    • Mobile number

Note: Mails containing other unspecified information and/or any mails received outside of the allotted time above will not be considered and will be deleted without being read.
    200 lucky participants will be selected at random from all the eligible mails received. The resulting list of would-be participants will be contacted next week via email with details of how to secure their place. Any offered place is only for the person specified in the message body and it will not be possible to transfer any places.

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you.
    AON Team

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingtherese

I don't understand the logic here at all.

You give people at least 3 days notice of when registration will open.

It doesn't open. Due to technical problems, fair enough.

Then you give people no notice at all and open up a lottery. So all of us who had assumed that you would give some notice and went off to get on with our lives last night missed out on this.

No logic at all with the follow through on this.

tbf, the following was posted on the previous page. maybe you missed this, it indicated to me that i should keep a regular eye on the site to see what would happen next anyway.
    Sincere apologies but due to unprecedented traffic levels on the Art O'Neill website the registration page is not working. None of the places have been sold and we will post here about how we intend to avoid the traffic issue shortly. REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE GOING LIVE TONIGHT so you can go to sleep knowing that you won't be missing out. Once again sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

they had also mentioned on fb that they may operate a lottery system after it was suggested by a commenter and i think additionally on fb they had said that they would provide an update yesterday (tuesday).

finally, if you follow this thread, someone else posted last night (2 posts above yours) that this was how it was going to roll and then AON themselves posted details.

this is a niche event with little publicity, the only way to be fairly sure of keeping up to date was to follow a discussion like this or the page on fb.

now, having said all of that, i'm sitting in a lottery and likely to be sitting on the sidelines with you when it actually takes place!

Any word?

This week I understand but exact day not given, fingers crossed. 500 names in draw 200 will be dawn for AON 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eoin0603

Has anyone got word yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

up on Facebook that the 200 names have been picked from the virtual hat and those lucky enough will find out later today!

i'm in :D

• Advertisement

Me too! In my Junk folder!

Advertisement