Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No luck for me. Ahhh well. I'll go do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Out the Gap (Billy Byrnes gap!!), got a place in AON 2014 having missed out last year. Really enjoyed AON 2012 and cannot wait for January 10th to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

200 offers were sent out to those selected in the lottery but surprisingly 70 people have yet to sign up. Reminders have been sent out to everyone and the offer will expire tomorrow at midnight so check your email before time runs out. A further draw will be made for any remaining spots on Monday and those people will be notified by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Keep your eye on the ball, guys. You yet have a chance of getting a place. The draw on Monday might be your 'in' to the AON, so keep an eye on your Inbox - and your Junk box.

Good luck! ;)

Mycroft H wrote: »
    No luck for me. Ahhh well. I'll go do it myself.

We'll start a Bart O'Neill, that oughtta get around them pesky park regulations!

• Advertisement

What about Red Hugh O'Donnell Challenge!!! Very surprised 70 successful applicants have not taken up their spot and another draw has too take place.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

There is too the alternative tradition that Art O'Neill is buried at the Cloughrawn, near the Shay Elliot carpark or the Three Crosses Pass...

You sometimes read or hear that the 'ree' in Glenreemore etc. is 'rí' as in king and a ref to Art O'Neill, but it seems the name in the form Unry is far older.

That said, there is a strong tradition that he was buried at the foot of the steep ground in Glenreemore. But possible that he died or took fatally ill there and was brought onto Glenmalure, to be buried up at the Cloughrawn. Take your pick :)

Draw number 3 coming up after December 6th the closing date for 2nd round offers, its a bit like the CAO at this stage

Hello all,

The information night in the Great Outdoors is for the registered participants just so we can handle the numbers. A mail will be sent to everyone tomorrow so people can show there interest in attending again so we know how many people to expect. There will be a second information night in early January also for anyone who can't make it next week.

As regards the question on route from Ballinagee Bridge from AON2013 thread: There are multiple routes using St Kevin's Way to Glenreemore Brook, forest tracks and forestry short cuts that can be used but we will be recommending the use of forest tracks straight past Oakwood Hostel so there is as little impact as possible from participants along the sensitive King's River track and Glenreemore Brook.

Approaching Art's Cross: There is a bit of a track along Glenreemore Brook leading into the valley and you can visit Art's Plaque. Here most people continue up the left hand side of Glenreebeg Brook. Again in an effort to avoid undue erosion I would suggest that following the right side is better. It is steep heathery slopes but no muck and no chance of falling into the river. Avoiding Art's Plaque altogether is also an option and then if water flow allows the more direct approach over Nye Rocks(East West Maps) will get you to Art's Cross handy enough. A final option here is to by-pass the plaque and work your way up the (southeast) back wall of the valley. There are some rocky outcrops here so more care would be required here. Also if you go too far you would have to double back a bit to get to the cross which is an important navigational landmark before heading towards Table Track.

In my opinion the route on the right of Glenreebeg Brook is the easiest because while it is a tough climb from the valley to Art's Cross it's a short sharp shock and you're done.

If any one that can't make the info nights can email info@artoneillchallenge.ie about route queries I'd be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Good talk tonight in the Great Outdoors. Some great advice from the 'Resident Champion'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Good talk tonight in the Great Outdoors. Some great advice from the 'Resident Champion'.

Did he get a place in the lottery for this year ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Did he get a place in the lottery for this year ???

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Very informative night. Cheers.

On the survival blanket/bag. Is this the SOL item that combines two that was referred to?

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Emergency-Blanket/dp/B00266H5VI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_9

The Sol Bivvy link above is what we want. The first link is just to a fancier version of a foil blanket but you also need a bivvy bag unless you get the combo. There is another link here.

http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy

Great Outdoors were out of stock on this yesterday but expect to get more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would that pass as a bivvy on walks from hiking clubs where they say a bivvy is mandatory?

Thargor wrote: »
    Would that pass as a bivvy on walks from hiking clubs where they say a bivvy is mandatory?

That should more than cover any requirements by a club as it adequately serves functions of both a foil blanket and a bivvy bag. It is more expensive though so just in case your club has a reason to be particular you should check with them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fobbzy

Would recommend the Blizzard Bag... Great bit of kit..... It is a little heavy for this event for running but for walkers or solo trips to the hills it's the muts nuts. It comes in at 380g but equivalent to a 3 season sleeping bag and about the size of an old vhs video cassette . They do a lighter one at 250g but insulation is less as it's only 2 ply not 3....... Seriously if you go to the hills on your own, runner or walker its the business.http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lackawee

I intended going to the talk on Wednesday night but didn't make it in. Is there any change to the route from last year?

fobbzy wrote: »
    Would recommend the Blizzard Bag... Great bit of kit..... Seriously if you go to the hills on your own, runner or walker its the business.http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag

It's £35.83 (UK shipping) from the manufacturer. That's €42.52, and postage to ROI may be extra.

• Advertisement

It looks as if it's going to be a moon-less night for the greater part of the event. The half-moon will set at 3.14am on Saturday morning and not rise until 1:13pm on Saturday. The forecast at the moment can't be relied upon. Accuweather indicates considerable clouds with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm later on Friday, but Saturday is expected to be mostly dry with a temperature of 10°. I know, I know, but it's no harm dreaming. ;)

Lackawee wrote: »
    I intended going to the talk on Wednesday night but didn't make it in. Is there any change to the route from last year?

Some route to Ballynultagh. From there it's up to yerself.

So it's into the forest entrance before Ballynultagh Gap, like last year, rather than all the way up to the Ballynultagh Gap?

I passed (yes, PASSED) AON record holder Eoin Keith, as he was running on the Wicklow Way today. Not many people can claim to have done that.

By the way, we were moving in opposite directions, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Surprisingly nice day for a run!

In my case just a fast walk. ;)

Was a nice day all right. Did a recce of the first off-road section from Ballynultagh Woods. Went as far to the edge of the forest and headed back to the start.

Meant we could check out two different routes. First route was directly down to the river from the gap, crossing it at the earliest opportunity and then hitting the edge of the forest. On the return leg, we stayed up high.

Decisions, decisions!

Great day for it. I almost stood on a deer at one stage. It was nestled under a small ledge, didn’t see me (nor I them) till the last second before darting down the mountain with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was a nice day all right. Did a recce of the first off-road section from Ballynultagh Woods. Went as far to the edge of the forest and headed back to the start.

Meant we could check out two different routes. First route was directly down to the river from the gap, crossing it at the earliest opportunity and then hitting the edge of the forest. On the return leg, we stayed up high.

Decisions, decisions!

Great day for it. I almost stood on a deer at one stage. It was nestled under a small ledge, didn’t see me (nor I them) till the last second before darting down the mountain with ease.

I've wondered about that section myself too, if your confident of breaking through thick forest undergrowth and finding the fire road quickly then I think following the river down is your best bet. Finding the edge of the forest and then going back up the hill to find the proper entrance takes a long time. In hindsight I'd recce breaking through the thick forest growth at the bottom corner and go with that.

Won't make it this year to test this out unfortunately.

I did think about that but I was talking about staying high to the east of the river and hitting the gap in the forest bang on rather than going near the river and climbing back up to find it.

I wouldn't chance going through the forest undergrowth. Route choice will depend on how much light there is with the moon/clear skies.

• Advertisement

A successful B'nultagh-B'gee route last year.

Ballynultagh Wood - Ballinagee 2013 (a).JPG

Advertisement