Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quebec - recommendations?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this crops up often - where would you recommend? What time of year?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Spring or autumn, it absolutely sucks coming back in the middle of a good Canadian summer, and winter's a bit harsh for moving.

Guess the main options are Montreal and Quebec.

Montreal is cool, has a nice relaxed vibe, but still plenty going on work-wise. They've festivals there too like the Just for Laughs, and some jazz and fireworks. 50/50 French and English, best of both worlds if you ask me. Nice metro, library universities. Multi-culti, hot summers, cold winters. Moderate bed-bug problem like a lot of north-american cities.

Quebec is a good bit colder than Montreal, a bit smaller and more European style, one of the oldest cities on that side of the pond. Much more French oriented, wouldn't go without having a good grasp of it. The river freezes over there, it's pretty spectacular. They also have an ice hotel in winter worth a visit.

Guess there'd be work in Gatineau/Ottawa too, never been but it strikes me as being more Ontario-like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Against wrote: »
    Spring or autumn, it absolutely sucks coming back in the middle of a good Canadian summer, and winter's a bit harsh for moving.

Guess the main options are Montreal and Quebec.

Montreal is cool, has a nice relaxed vibe, but still plenty going on work-wise. They've festivals there too like the Just for Laughs, and some jazz and fireworks. 50/50 French and English, best of both worlds if you ask me. Nice metro, library universities. Multi-culti, hot summers, cold winters. Moderate bed-bug problem like a lot of north-american cities.

Quebec is a good bit colder than Montreal, a bit smaller and more European style, one of the oldest cities on that side of the pond. Much more French oriented, wouldn't go without having a good grasp of it. The river freezes over there, it's pretty spectacular. They also have an ice hotel in winter worth a visit.

Guess there'd be work in Gatineau/Ottawa too, never been but it strikes me as being more Ontario-like

Thanks for that mon ami, it's r&r I'm going for and I can get by in French, so I think I like the sound of Quebec :)

Advertisement