Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco ---- Dont mess with my Mrs.

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Well at least I think this is brilliant.

My good lady had a voucher for E9 for Tesco. Spend E65 and get refund of E9.This voucher expires tomorrow. So, she goes shopping in Wexford branch this morning and fills her trolley to the tune of E120.00.Goes through the checkout,but only remembers the voucher when transaction is complete.She then asks about the voucher only to be told "Too late, you have to spend another E65 to redeem the voucher." Speaks to a Manager who smugly reiterates the "Store Policy".
    "Right, she says, you can take the lot back and refund me". Store policy allows refunds without question. They then refund her, she wheels the trolley to another checkout and gets her voucher taken into account whilst paying. Tesco-
    Muppets!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

So your telling me, your wife forgot to claim a voucher (Her fault) and the couldn't understand why the shop couldn't fix it for her, even though it was her mistake, and the manager and individual were simply doing their job and following store policy which they have to do to get paid at the end of the week and keep their job.

Then she went on to make them refund and resell goods and carry out all the processes i am assuming are involved in this because of her mistake !!!!

And you think you won, do you post on a forum about it, well thats just moronic !!!

The people who write store policies are the people who profit from you shopping there, so in essence they still got your money and they effectively won, the tiny anount of a voucher you wife redeemed means nothing to them, your wife just simply pissed off someone just like me and you because of her error in not using the voucher, MORONIC !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

YourName wrote: »
    So your telling me, your wife forgot to claim a voucher (Her fault) and the couldn't understand why the shop couldn't fix it for her, even though it was her mistake, and the manager and individual were simply doing their job and following store policy which they have to do to get paid at the end of the week and keep their job.

Then she went on to make them refund and resell goods and carry out all the processes i am assuming are involved in this because of her mistake !!!!

And you think you won, do you post on a forum about it, well thats just moronic !!!

The people who write store policies are the people who profit from you shopping there, so in essence they still got your money and they effectively won, the tiny anount of a voucher you wife redeemed means nothing to them, your wife just simply pissed off someone just like me and you because of her error in not using the voucher, MORONIC !!!

So your telling me you cant see how a customer who just spent €120 on shopping would be shown some courtesy by managment by allowing her the use of a valid voucher.
    MORONIC !!! lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

I posted this to illustrate the "Jobsworth " attitude of certain individuals. I NEVER stated "She couldnt understand the store policy".In fact she understood it so well that she used it her advantage. A little bit of common sense should have been used in these circumstances, rather her been put under pressure to spend further to redeem the voucher. Do you work for Tesco???? Grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

mountai wrote: »
    I posted this to illustrate the "Jobsworth " attitude of certain individuals. I NEVER stated "She couldnt understand the store policy".In fact she understood it so well that she used it her advantage. A little bit of common sense should have been used in these circumstances, rather her been put under pressure to spend further to redeem the voucher. Do you work for Tesco???? Grow a pair.

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Once the transaction is complete the voucher can't be scanned so the Tesco employees were right; but good for her, thinking on her feet and using another element of store policy to ensure she got to use her voucher!
    Glad you're proud of your wife an'all OP, but it's hardly breaking news is it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A little bit of common sense should have been used in these circumstances,
    The system probably did not allow it, and might have had to be done the way she did it. The manager, or more likely the cashier should have suggested doing what she did.

I get very short dated offers in tesco, like buy 18 eggs get 100 points ( a euros worth). I similarly did this trick with that voucher, forgot I had it, ask them to refund and buy again on the spot.

Another time at the customer counter I had 4 items, the limit was 3 items, so I just put one item back and paid & left, can't remember if I went back with the single item again. Not sure if their till was programmed with a 3 limit, I actually really do wish the self serve or express checkouts did stick to their limits, if there is a quoted limit, like 10 items.

I met my mates missus in the customer line once, returning beer, when the cashier asked if anything was wrong with it "yeah, its only €1 a bottle in the offie next door!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If the Tesco employee had said "No, we can't accept the voucher now - why don't you return all the goods for a refund, buy them all again and make sure you scan the voucher this time" you wouldn't be saying what a brilliant idea it was. There's only so much Tesco can do if people don't help themselves.

I'm glad I wasn't in the queue behind her when all this was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The transaction was closed and finished on the till. It would not have been possible to scan the voucher at that point. It's tough on your wife, but she had a duty to remember the voucher when paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dee_mc wrote: »
    Glad you're proud of your wife an'all OP, but it's hardly breaking news is it :)
    Skid X wrote: »
    There's only so much Tesco can do if people don't help themselves.
    I think this story was more about getting on over on the allegedly smug manager. If the manager was apologetic/sympathetic it would be less of a good story. Turning the tables on their own policies.

If I have big vouchers to get rid of I tend to look for highish value items with no use by date, like get loads of washing powder or stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of people out there that still think that because someone works in a super market their beneath them and their to take pathetic abuse from, well lets face it, people that have nothing better to do with their time but to make other peoples lives a misery. Im not saying this was the case here but it does happen all the time. Well i agree with other post here saying that basically these people where doing their jobs. ie, if a till cant do the transaction after the fact then its not the staffs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

PL05 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of people out there that still think that because someone works in a super market their beneath them and their to take pathetic abuse from, well lets face it, people that have nothing better to do with their time but to make other peoples lives a misery. Im not saying this was the case here but it does happen all the time. Well i agree with other post here saying that basically these people where doing their jobs. ie, if a till cant do the transaction after the fact then its not the staffs fault.

Stall the digger there . At no time was my wife disrespectful to the girl behind the till. When it was pointed out to her what the problem was, she went to customer services and the meeting with the manager took place there. There was no delay to anyone in a queue or anything like that. I"m always on at her to keep out of Tesco , as I"m a firm believer in supporting the little man. As a matter of fact we use a local independent butcher for our meat buying. Does anyone here for one minute believe she would have received that level of treatment from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

Judging by this post i think its you that needs to grow a pair and do something else rather than telling everyone about your mrs shopping adventures and as for your jobsworth comment, would it be the case that unlike these people, maybe your not working, this might explain the reason you have time to put up stupid threads. Or maybe its you that should,nt or would,nt mess with your mrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Stall the digger there . At no time was my wife disrespectful to the girl behind the till. When it was pointed out to her what the problem was, she went to customer services and the meeting with the manager took place there. There was no delay to anyone in a queue or anything like that. I"m always on at her to keep out of Tesco , as I"m a firm believer in supporting the little man. As a matter of fact we use a local independent butcher for our meat buying. Does anyone here for one minute believe she would have received that level of treatment from him.

No, you just came on here and called them muppets and "jobworths" and made their life (and other customers' lives) a misery for a mistake you/she made and then came on here to crow about it.

Petty petty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If the manager suggested the idea of doing what she did this thread would be just as bad.

I'd do the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, he is a Jobsworth, his life and family depend on that Job.

I am also a jobsworth!

In the local tesco there is a sign on the shopping divider thing telling you to use coupons at the time of purchase as they cannot be used later.

In Dunnes there is a printed out sign behind each checkout, so there must be a problem coming back with the vouchers later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Doubtful that all the folks finding the thread slightly off are scanning goods at checkouts for a living, but more folks reading the original post and thinking that it's tone and intention were just totally off.

It's a non-event. Your wife (in the wrong) forgot to hand in the voucher. As dudara explained, it couldn't be done after the fact. As such, the whole transaction has to be repeated. Life goes on.

What gets people's goats is the rather self-satisfied, verging on the smug, tone of the post. This was hardly David v Goliath. More scatter-brain versus technological limitations of Tesco's POS systems, which for some reason, the OP seemed to think was worthy of broadcast.

TBH I'm not even sure it's thread worthy, but I'll defer to the local mods on that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's a vat thing. If the voucher is produced after the sale is registered the retailer is caught for the vat on the full value. When the voucher is redeemed prior to the sale, the price is written down, thus reducing the vat content. I know there is no vat on food but there is vat on lots of other things they sell so one rule fits all. That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm agreeing with BuffyBot here - this is not a Consumer Issue. The voucher has to be linked to a sale and Tesco could not accept the voucher after the sale was complete. In order to use the voucher, the option was to start a new transaction.

Thread closed as it's getting heated and nasty.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement