Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Service

• 18-09-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Anyone here any feedback on GEM Motorcycles for a bike service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can't say I have ever got any work done there but am familar with the owner as Dave Lyons runs bike lessons out of there and I rented a bike from him for the test. He seems like a decent guy and his workshop was very clean and organised. While I was there two motocycle Gardai were also there which suggests he's a trusted mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Anyone here any feedback on GEM Motorcycles for a bike service?

Friend of mine recently had a bad experience. Nothing major, just the usual: no communcation, no keeping word regarding time, not being there when they said they would, etc, and not doing the work when they said they would (he actually took the bike back, with no job done).

In terms of their quality of work, I've no idea. But it's enough to turn me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Is it just a routine service the bike needs Joe? Or is it more specific......I take it, its the bandit you are giving the once over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Is it just a routine service the bike needs Joe? Or is it more specific......I take it, its the bandit you are giving the once over.

Need to get the valve clearance done which is a bit more than my capabilities. Usually do the routine service myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    While I was there two motocycle Gardai were also there which suggests he's a trusted mechanic

Or they were investigating him.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

AFAIK he had the Garda contract back when he was in his previous place. Still a fair few go to him for their personal bikes.

Recently got new tyres fitted by and had a service done by him. Nice bloke. No hassle either if you're going past and want something quick done, he'll do it there and then.

That was the first time I got him to service my bike and it was just routine. Not sure how much it would cost.

Shane, The

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't say I have ever got any work done there but am familar with the owner as Dave Lyons runs bike lessons out of there and I rented a bike from him for the test. He seems like a decent guy and his workshop was very clean and organised. While I was there two motocycle Gardai were also there which suggests he's a trusted mechanic

Trusted unit of mechanics who know bikes well, all the guys in work (Donnybrook) leave bikes in with Dave Mc and crew. They look after a good few short circuit/road races and thats good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

infacteh wrote: »
    Or they were investigating him.......:D

I had thought that at first but he was having such a laugh with the Gardai it was obvious he knew them
    The Shane wrote: »
    AFAIK he had the Garda contract back when he was in his previous place. Still a fair few go to him for their personal bikes.

That's exactly what it looked like when I saw them, they weren't getting the Garda motorbikes seen to, most likely arranging a time to drop their own bikes in.

Anyway like I said I've never used him but just got the impression that he runs a good shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Yep. I feel a bit bad giving them/him a negative report just for communcation. AFAIK he's a good guy to go to and does good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pjackson

Dave fitted a Scottoiler last week for me. Neat work and excellent turnaround - I could only leave it with him for two hours. Had a couple of previous dealings and again very positive. Nice guy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thanks for the feedback. Stuck at the moment in ending the bike but I'll keep Dave in mind

Advertisement