Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would introducing a curfew be legally possible?

• 18-09-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this has ever been done - for children - anywhere in Ireland as an attempted solution to anti-social behaviour?

It's commonplace in the US.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The courts can and do impose curfews but it's generally as a condition to bail. I cannot see why this power would be fettered when it comes to sentencing. Afaik, it can also be a term within the context of an ASBO, although these are infrequently used in Ireland by comparison to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I was thinking more along the lines of a blanket curfew to address chronic anti-social behaviour problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Even if it could be implemented what would be the sanction for the child was out after curfew ? Imprisonment for the child, the parent or both ?

Would it be for an individual child or for an entire area ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yorky wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of a blanket curfew to address chronic anti-social behaviour problems
    Oh, Jesus. What?

I've heard of original sin but that's a bit extreme. Not all children behave anti-socially. I was even out beyond ten past the eleven one night and there was never any serious trouble amongst my group.

• Advertisement

Yorky wrote: »
    "The land of the Free."

WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND OF FREEDOM HERE.

"The land of the Free."

WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND OF FREEDOM HERE.

Who's kind ?? Posing a question and not deaf, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

He means we don't want America's kind of freedom here.

In your opinion, all children should be under curfew as that will solve anti-social behaviour order.

Listen, if the little ****s don't give a **** about what they are doing now, they are hardly gonna respect a curfew are they? So the good children/teenagers get a curfew slapped on them while the anti-social ones continue to be anti-social. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

If the law can forbid under-18s from drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, signing contracts and voting, I don't see why it couldn't forbid them from being outdoors after a certain time.

American freedom and I was being flippant. Their justice system is hardly a model of progression and for that reason, many of the penal justice "principles" they operate are not copied here.

I don't think there is any way it could be argued that sentencing people who have never been convicted (and in most cases, never been accused) of a crime could be viewed in a good light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This was an episode of the Simpons back in the day. I believe it was put to a vote. A curfew was imposed on anyone under 65YO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the law can forbid under-18s from drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, signing contracts and voting, I don't see why it couldn't forbid them from being outdoors after a certain time.

There is no law forbidding children drinking alcohol, but preventing adults supplying alcohol, or children possessing certain alcohols ( mostly ethanol) in public.

How would you deal with the case of a child needing immediate medical attention being prevented leaving their home by a curfew?

Or children that stayed too long playing with their friends next door and couldn't go home, as they'd have to go outside?

The Auxies and Tans had curfews. Not the kind of laws to increase respect for the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I disagree with many of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Unfortunately as a 'free society' we allow parents too much latitude in 'raising' their children in the way they see fit. There is a significant issue with anti-social behaviour in certain parts of Dublin and a curfew would allow the Gardai the option of breaking up gatherings of youths and returning them to their parents. On a personal note I would be in favour of a midnight curfew of the under 18s.

The problem with this approach is it would probably then require significant follow up when they find that the parents aren't actually there and are in the local pub etc. We simply don't, as a society, put enough resources into the state to deal with social issues and frankly, culturally, don't want state interference - as has been alluded to by other posters.

Legally it's probably possible. Practically it's unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

amen wrote: »
    Even if it could be implemented what would be the sanction for the child was out after curfew ? Imprisonment for the child, the parent or both ?

Would it be for an individual child or for an entire area ?

Severe beatings for both?

Advertisement