Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes

• 18-09-2013 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Anyone got recent experience of uploading your own songs on iTunes?

Whats the criteria nowadays? They were pretty choosy a while ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I just got the outline requirements: 20 albums!

What download providers (aggregators) do any of you guys use?

Cheers

Requirements
    The requirements to work directly with Apple are listed below. If you do not meet all of these requirements, you can work with an Apple-approved aggregator instead.

Aggregators are third parties that can help you meet technical requirements, deliver and manage your content, and assist with marketing efforts.

Technical Requirements:
    A Mac running OS X 10.5.8 or later
    At least 512 MB RAM
    QuickTime 7.0.3 or later. This is so you can encode and deliver content using our dedicated software.
    For optimal performance, use an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.5 or later. However, PowerPC G4 and G5 are also supported.
    At least 20 GB of available hard drive space (more for larger catalogs) is recommended.
    A broadband internet connection with an upload rate of 1 MB/sec or faster is recommended.
    To deliver music video or concert film content to the iTunes Store, you must use an Apple-approved encoding house. Encoding houses typically charge fees for their services. Learn more about the differences between encoding houses and aggregators.

Content Requirements:
    At least 20 albums in your catalog
    UPCs/EANs/JANs for all products you intend to distribute
    ISRCs for all tracks you intend to distribute
    Financial Requirements:
    A U.S. Tax ID
    A valid iTunes Store account, with a credit card on file
    Apple does not pay partners until they meet payment requirements and earning thresholds in each territory. You should consider this before applying to work directly with Apple as you may receive payments faster by working with an Apple-approved aggregator.
    If you meet these requirements and wish to apply, click Continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

?

Use TuneCore.com. You can putup as little or as much as you want, via a website so it doesnt matter what OS you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

maccored wrote: »
    ?

Use TuneCore.com. You can putup as little or as much as you want, via a website so it doesnt matter what OS you have.

Do you know how much that costs by any chance?

?

Thanks for that, and indeed I noticed that iTunes defaluted to Tune Core.

I have used CD baby before, seems to work OK easily enough, lots of partner download providers. But I always get a bit cautious when using cover songs as they (the download providers) go global and you need licences in all territories...

I'm in permanent avoidance of covers now just in case.

its costs roughly around €30 to put an album out on itunes, cd baby and a list of other places. Well, its probably more expensive now but it was around that when I last used TuneCore in 2008

• Advertisement

for covers, go to IMRO and they get clearances for you.

for covers, go to IMRO and they get clearances for you.

Indeed, IMRO issues Mechanical licence for UK and Ireland, but have to be careful when "publishing" covers on CD baby.

CD Baby, as a digital distribution agency, distributing to numerous download partners, worldwide and as far as I know, licences are needed for sales in those territories also, particularly North America.

The uploader of the cover also needs to take responsibility for the collection of the royalty fee at source and forwarding this to the copyright owner.

Would this also be your understanding?

We released a Velvet Underground cover worldwide via tunecore and IMRO didnt outline any issues. Plus we never had any problems. I have no idea of the legality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Tunecore charge 30$ for all stores, per album, per year.
    An additional 10$ can be paid to automatically add the release to any new stores that are added to Tunecores catalog during the year.
    Otherwise, it's ~ 1.50$ I believe to amend the list of stores you're distributing to.

Just interested on this one:

Macored: Did you have to get permission from the Copyright owners of the Velvet Underground works prior to publishing on Tune Core?

I gather that Tune Core collect the royalties at source for the Copyright Owners for all CD Downloads

Some copyright owners are more willing than others.

We were working on a project and I applied to IMRO/MCPS for a Mechnical Licence...but the Copyright owners managed the licencing themselves and a licence was not available from MCPS.

So I contacted them (major record label in the States) directly, and very promptly after received a legal "Cease and Desist" Notice and had to provide all demos to the record company and fill out an application form.

I wasn't sure what the fee would be, if indeed it was granted at all, so we shelved the recording project.

Some artists don't want you to record their songs, or certainly are very specific about how and who records it, and they can name their price in the licence fee.

To sell to North America you have to get a licence from Song Clearance, where you have to pay upfront for anticipated CD downloads, say 100 or 200.

Not sure if Tune Core covers that in their agreement?

http://www.songclearance.com/

• Advertisement

imro looked after everything for us - I assume the VU tune we covered was covered by their licence.

Advertisement