Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5S release date Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Whats the earliest upgrade people have got from vodafone?

Afaik VF don't do early upgrades anymore unless you pay the €10 extra/month (it's included on the €75 plan). Then you can upgrade after 12 months on a 24 month plan, but you have to return your "old" phone. If you don't have this generally they won't let you upgrade even a month early...
    As for the poster with 11 months left, I would wait as well, otherwise you have to buy off the complete contact (as in pay 11x monthly fee). You could try and ask if you pay the €10 a month now to upgrade early, but I'm guessing they would want 13x€10 of you then and hand back your iPhone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

So the "Select 100 Non Eircom/Eircom Customer 12 month" plans get you the phone for €469 + € 19.31/month (€ 701 total)

Straight away that's cheaper than any pay as you go phone, and you get some minutes & data too...definitely a bargain!
    It's even better than the Vat Free option, which would be €540 + €20/month ( lets call that the minimum) = €780!!

Very rarely does a bill pay plan work out cheaper than pay as you go in the long run!

Thanks a million, I know what plan I'm going for! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Jamez735 wrote: »
    So the "Select 100 Non Eircom/Eircom Customer 12 month" plans get you the phone for €469 + € 19.31/month (€ 701 total)

Straight away that's cheaper than any pay as you go phone, and you get some minutes & data too...definitely a bargain!
    It's even better than the Vat Free option, which would be €540 + €20/month ( lets call that the minimum) = €940!!

Very rarely does a bill pay plan work out cheaper than pay as you go in the long run!

Thanks a million, I know what plan I'm going for! :)

No worries! I'll be updating that with o2 and Vodafone later but I don't think you'll be able to do better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

dmcg90 wrote: »
    iPhone 5S Price Comparison Spreadsheet:

I've been working on this last night, I only got Three, Meteor and eMobile done so I'll be adding Vodafone and O2 over the weekend.

Any suggestions, feedback, etc. is welcome.

I'll be expanding this to the other sizes too when I have time. I think this should be pretty handy when trying to figure out which iPhone plan is cheapest for you in the long run.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkJWCt2_BMGsdEk0d0N2LTE5UXgtNEZJSnJYRXZBeGc&usp=sharing

May be you can just highlight the Cheapest Plans/ Total Cost in Green and highlight the most Expensive plans/Total Cost in Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Here Guys...I am reading the above posts....I am wondering which of these providers below would you get the cheapest ready to go phones from A) Apple UK B) Apple Ireland C) Vodafone ? Any responses appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

whiz wrote: »
    Here Guys...I am reading the above posts....I am wondering which of these providers below would you get the cheapest ready to go phones from A) Apple UK B) Apple Ireland C) Vodafone ? Any responses appreciated.

Buy from Apple and pay most up front with cheaper monthly bills.

Buy from Vodafone and have a smaller up front cost with lower monthly bills.

I usually choose option 1 because I can sell my previous gen phone at around two-thirds of the value of the new phone. If you upgrade each year this way your only big expense is up front on the first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zcott wrote: »
    Buy from Apple and pay most up front with cheaper monthly bills.

Buy from Vodafone and have a smaller up front cost with lower monthly bills.

I usually choose option 1 because I can sell my previous gen phone at around two-thirds of the value of the new phone. If you upgrade each year this way your only big expense is up front on the first year.

I don't think that is what the poster was asking and wanted to know who was it best to buy unlocked phone from if I read correctly and was not refering to monthly bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

This post has been deleted.

Paid €679 for a 16gb 5s in meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The 32gb cost me €755 in the Apple store Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

clarification...... where would you get the cheapest unlocked ready to go phones from A) Apple UK B) Apple Ireland C) Vodafone D) Another operator ? Any responses appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

clarification...... where would you get the cheapest unlocked ready to go phones from A) Apple UK B) Apple Ireland C) Vodafone D) Another operator ? Any responses appreciated.

You cannot buy unlocked from any carrier.
    Your only option is apple Ireland or apple uk. Uk will be cheaper by a few quid but you have to fact in travel or postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deasyb

Can anybody recommend a good sim only deal if I buy from Apple? Need plenty of data but few calls or texts.

Was planning on going with Eircon on one of their bundles but they aren't doing the 32gb or 64gb and their online chat says they aren't doing efibre or TV in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

I'm on a sim only rolling 30 contract with Three. It's 20 eur a month, 375 flex units (for calls/texts) and all you can eat data.

Thanks for the replies. 48 is out due to age. I've been told Three has rubbish coverage but since it's a 30day contract it could be worth a try. I like the fact it's all you can eat data. In this day and age all the networks should have unlimited data. I can't understand why any would only offer 250mb or 500mb. The way I see it, you either need data or you don't. 250mb isn't enough for anyone who needs data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Deasyb wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. 48 is out due to age. I've been told Three has rubbish coverage but since it's a 30day contract it could be worth a try. I like the fact it's all you can eat data. In this day and age all the networks should have unlimited data. I can't understand why any would only offer 250mb or 500mb. The way I see it, you either need data or you don't. 250mb isn't enough for anyone who needs data.

What part of the country are you in?

Living in Newbridge and working in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Can't see you having a problem with 3's network, i'm with 3 two years and was afraid of the change due to no signal issues, i've been all over Ireland the last 2 years, including Northern Ireland and never once had an issue, always had 3g on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My mid 50's work mate is on 48 the last year without issues. She lives in dunboyne and works in Dublin city. Age is not an issue with 48. You sign up online, just use your own date of birth but change the year to say you have just turned 18.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can anybody recommend a good sim only deal if I buy from Apple? Need plenty of data but few calls or texts.

Was planning on going with Eircon on one of their bundles but they aren't doing the 32gb or 64gb and their online chat says they aren't doing efibre or TV in Newbridge.

Be aware 2 things. 3 don't allow tethering any more on their plans, and there was a lot of threads about how poor their coverage was in Kildare. Have a search around here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

whiterebel wrote: »
    Be aware 2 things. 3 don't allow tethering any more on their plans, and there was a lot of threads about how poor their coverage was in Kildare. Have a search around here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367
    3 don't allow tethering? wtf? that's them off my list so.

From threads I have read on that forum I saw one talking about using their phone as a wifi hotspot all the time so I don't think it's true. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

My other half is on PAYG on Three and has unlimited 3G north and South with free tethering. €20 a month topup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I think its not allowed, but still work and you wont be charged extra. I use tethering from time to time, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I joined three on a 30 day rolling this week. I'm tethering away no prob, even though my contract doesn't allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Yea they don't allow teathering but I still use it every now and then.

And the coverage can be useless at times, the signal in Maynooth is really bad but when you have no three signal you fall back onto the vodafone network so you can always use voice and text just no internet.

What's going to happen with 3's coverage when the complete O2 takeover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

i signed up for meteor offer thats on special right now any network texts & calls plus 1gb of date for €30 a month, and untill march you actually get 16gb of data

Advertisement