Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5S release date Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That was in cork city tho

fair play, you were doing good, the b@stards here give you nothing and sell for about €300

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drumzone

billie1b wrote: »
    fair play, you were doing good, the b@stards here give you nothing and sell for about €300

90 euro.... id fire the ****in phone at him

drumzone wrote: »
    90 euro.... id fire the ****in phone at him

I just turned my back to him and told him to run and jump but not so nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How much will the 5s be from the irish store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone who does is mental!! Il be ordering from apple on the Friday morning then whoreing out my white 4s too the highest bidder!! What colour 5s are people going for?

I'm due an upgrade now and waiting till the 5 is available. I was previously in a 2 yr contract. The phone (iPhone 4) was €29 I think and I paid €32 -40 a month for 24 months. So for roughly €800/900 I had a phone, as much texts and calls as I needed and all you can eat data for 2 years and i reckon I could still get €150-200 for the phone (which will be unlocked) if I decide to sell it so it could possibly only have cost me €600 for the two years.
    A sim free phone at the time would have cost roughly the same (€550 I think they were) and I would then have had to pay for calls/text/data on top of that. I don't see how that's mental. Makes perfect economic sense to me which is why I plan in taking out a new 2 yr contract when the 5c arrives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This ^^.
    Unless you can get some tariff that costs virtually nothing, there's nothing mental at all about getting a network phone. Selling my old handset + contract always pays for the new one.

I know people on "cheap" tariffs that never make calls or only use data on wifi. I don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The gap between plans has gotten bigger now though.
    It's now a 20 per month difference between the sim only and with phone all you can eat offers on 3, it used to be only 10 back when the iPhone 4 came out.
    That's 480 extra over the life of the contract plus whatever they will charge you upfront for the phone.
    The contract version will probably still be cheaper overall but not by much and maybe the freedom to change operator or use another sim overseas is worth the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

How much will the 5s be from the irish store?

i was told by the girl in 3 that it could cost 200 euro upwards on bill pay under a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

dloob wrote: »
    The gap between plans has gotten bigger now though.
    It's now a 20 per month difference between the sim only and with phone all you can eat offers on 3, it used to be only 10 back when the iPhone 4 came out.
    That's 480 extra over the life of the contract plus whatever they will charge you upfront for the phone.
    The contract version will probably still be cheaper overall but not by much and maybe the freedom to change operator or use another sim overseas is worth the difference.
    What exactly do you mean by the bit in bold? also if the difference is 20 now and was 10 well then that only comes to 240 over the 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade now and waiting till the 5 is available. I was previously in a 2 yr contract. The phone (iPhone 4) was €29 I think and I paid €32 -40 a month for 24 months. So for roughly €800/900 I had a phone, as much texts and calls as I needed and all you can eat data for 2 years and i reckon I could still get €150-200 for the phone (which will be unlocked) if I decide to sell it so it could possibly only have cost me €600 for the two years.
    A sim free phone at the time would have cost roughly the same (€550 I think they were) and I would then have had to pay for calls/text/data on top of that. I don't see how that's mental. Makes perfect economic sense to me which is why I plan in taking out a new 2 yr contract when the 5c arrives.

Agree with the bill-pay/prepay story, added reason for bill-pay for me is (data-)roaming is often cheaper/free. Still njoy free data roaming on my VF contract...
    I don't get the part where you say you waited to upgrade until 5c/5s is available and then you say you're gonna get the 5c? I mean that's just an iPhone 5 is a plastic jacket, you might as well have gotten the 5 then... Or did you mean to say 5s?

guil wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by the bit in bold? also if the difference is 20 now and was 10 well then that only comes to 240 over the 2 years.

I mean back when the iphone 4 came out on three, their sim only plan was 30pm and the with phone plan was 40pm, a 10 euro difference.
    This is the 350 units plan with all you can eat data.
    But some time ago they cut the price of sim only version of that plan to 20pm while leaving the version that comes with a phone at 40pm so the difference between them is currently 20 euro.

So to get the iphone 4 back when the launched it would have cost you 240 more than getting the sim only plan over the 24 months, which given the phone itself was free with the plan was a bargain.

But now with the 5S, it is going to cost you 480 over the 24 months and they won't be giving the phone away for free either, so it's not as attractive as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

nearly sure the iphone 4 wasn't free with the 40 flexi plan with 3 when they released it, never interested with 3 though after been with them years ago with a nokia 6680.

nearly sure the iphone 4 wasn't free with the 40 flexi plan with 3 when they released it, never interested with 3 though after been with them years ago with a nokia 6680.

I could be wrong it was over 2 years ago now, it wasn't very much extra if it wasn't free.

rodento wrote: »

Slim to none I'd say.
    Last year the 5 and 4S split was 68% vs 23%
    This year the 5S and 5C split is 64% vs 27%
    The 5C replaces the old strategy of selling last years model at a discount by putting last years model in a higher margin plastic case before selling it at a discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Wonder will there be much of a waiting list

Hi. I am new to Iphone, being soo loyal to Blackberry, even to their latest device... I HAVE to move onwards!! I don't want to go on contract, but all phone shops are saying priority goes to BillPay blahh. Just wondering, how does the Apple Store work? is it very hit and miss, like getting concert tickets with the mention of waiting lists? How long afterwards are people talking if they purchase from the Apple Store online.

Any info regarding this will be so gratefully appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I signed up with 3 when the 4 was released and the handset cost €199 on €40 PM plan. Returned the phone after 2 days due to 3G issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Hi. I am new to Iphone, being soo loyal to Blackberry, even to their latest device... I HAVE to move onwards!! I don't want to go on contract, but all phone shops are saying priority goes to BillPay blahh. Just wondering, how does the Apple Store work? is it very hit and miss, like getting concert tickets with the mention of waiting lists? How long afterwards are people talking if they purchase from the Apple Store online.

Any info regarding this will be so gratefully appreciated.

Go online on 25th October or before if you don't want the new models coming out, pick the iPhone you want & proceed to payment. It will then give up approx date when you to expect your iPhone to be shipped to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Will there be any shops in the republic selling sim free on the 25th? I'm thinking Carphone Warehouse would be my only hope! I need one asap. This Galaxy S4 is wrecking my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

siobhanoh wrote: »
    Will there be any shops in the republic selling sim free on the 25th? I'm thinking Carphone Warehouse would be my only hope! I need one asap. This Galaxy S4 is wrecking my head!

CPW don't sell sim free phones. Apple.ie is the only place, there's no bricks no mortar shops that sell sim free in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I've just made an offer of 800 for a 32gb gold on adverts and it has been accepted. I am guessing the retail price of this will be 749~789 so I don't mind spending the little extra to save me the wait or the drive to Belfast. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the transaction.

The box is sealed. Should I ask to see the phone before handing over the cash? This guy has 25 positive reviews on adverts with 1 neutral and 5 negative saying he didn't turn up. I think I can trust him??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

I've just made an offer of 800 for a 32gb gold on adverts and it has been accepted. I am guessing the retail price of this will be 749~789 so I don't mind spending the little extra to save me the wait or the drive to Belfast. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with the transaction.

The box is sealed. Should I ask to see the phone before handing over the cash? This guy has 25 positive reviews on adverts with 1 neutral and 5 negative saying he didn't turn up. I think I can trust him??:confused:

Should be fine I'd say. Take the phone from the box and try your sim in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If hes selling for 800 makes ya wonder how he got it in the first place and how much he paid for it too make a profit

€720 sim-free in Belfast, average of €30 return trip to Belfast, you have a proper receipt and so on, I know which I would choose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If hes selling for 800 makes ya wonder how he got it in the first place and how much he paid for it too make a profit

Probably bought up north for mid 700 and realizes its available shortly here so just cutting his losses and selling it on at small profit rather than face the possibility of being stuck with it.

People are forgetting that although it's released here on the 25th it will be in very short supply. It will be mid November to December before there's a good flow of units available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

seen a tweet from gs elevator gossip saying "iphone 5c is just a polite way of saying poor".i chuckled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rodento wrote: »

Is anyone here considering buying a 5c?

I don't see the point of it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Aotearoa wrote: »
    seen a tweet from gs elevator gossip saying "iphone 5c is just a polite way of saying poor".i chuckled.

Same can be said about the S4 and S4 mini from samsung, 2 different phones to cater for 2 different markets.

Advertisement