Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5S release date Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

kceire wrote: »
    Same can be said about the S4 and S4 mini from samsung, 2 different phones to cater for 2 different markets.

There's a €200 difference in the price tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

billie1b wrote: »
    €720 sim-free in Belfast, average of €30 return trip to Belfast, you have a proper receipt and so on, I know which I would choose

I'm actually quite suspicious now because his ad said he got it "while on holidays and selling now due to house renovation". It also said "Brand new, never opened". But after a few private messages it doesn't sound legit. He told me he bought it off ebay for €700 and gave me the username of the seller who is selling them for £759 sterling so I asked for a link to the original ad but he hasn't got back to me. He also told me he opened the box to check the phone.

To be safe, I'm heading to Belfast shortly. Petrol etc. is paid for so if you could all just say a prayer to the apple gods that they will have a 32gb gold in stock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I'm actually quite suspicious now because his ad said he got it "while on holidays and selling now due to house renovation". It also said "Brand new, never opened". But after a few private messages it doesn't sound legit. He told me he bought it off ebay for €700 and gave me the username of the seller who is selling them for £759 sterling so I asked for a link to the original ad but he hasn't got back to me. He also told me he opened the box to check the phone.

To be safe, I'm heading to Belfast shortly. Petrol etc. is paid for so if you could all just say a prayer to the apple gods that they will have a 32gb gold in stock :)

Good luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd back out too tbh
    Safer to buy in Belfast based on these new comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

flyguy wrote: »
    Agree with the bill-pay/prepay story, added reason for bill-pay for me is (data-)roaming is often cheaper/free. Still njoy free data roaming on my VF contract...
    I don't get the part where you say you waited to upgrade until 5c/5s is available and then you say you're gonna get the 5c? I mean that's just an iPhone 5 is a plastic jacket, you might as well have gotten the 5 then... Or did you mean to say 5s?

Yeah sorry meant the 5S

• Advertisement

No phones in Belfast... and I'm told they don't get deliveries at the weekend. Wish your one on the phone had told me that when I rang last night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:(

No phones in Belfast... and I'm told they don't get deliveries at the weekend. Wish your one on the phone had told me that when I rang last night!!

According to this guy there is. He got one this morning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057046027&page=9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

O2 announcing their prices tomorrow, according to their support forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Hopefully that will spur the other operators to do likewise. If the prices are ridiculous (as I'm expecting) it'll be either sim free from apple or the jump to the droid side for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Have someone going to America next week and offered to pick me up one from an Apple store unlocked. I've seen some posts about baseband and stuff. Will the phone work fine here, including 3g and future 4g? What about the warranty will that also work over here for me?

Actually just had another look on apple.com (US) can you not buy them unlocked yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

username?! wrote: »
    Have someone going to America next week and offered to pick me up one from an Apple store unlocked. I've seen some posts about baseband and stuff. Will the phone work fine here, including 3g and future 4g? What about the warranty will that also work over here for me?

Actually just had another look on apple.com (US) can you not buy them unlocked yet??

The T-Mobile ones are unlocked. And they should work just fine here.

username?! wrote: »

Yeah the T-Mobile ones are sim free. Quite confusing selling them like that!

I was going to get one in america but my friend was checking the apple store daily and couldn't get one. Raging cos it was working out nearly €300 less than they were going for on adverts.

I have heard that the warranty could be an issue over here because the american phones have a slightly different model number so if you need to send it back they might not be able to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yeah the T-Mobile ones are sim free. Quite confusing selling them like that!

I was going to get one in america but my friend was checking the apple store daily and couldn't get one. Raging cos it was working out nearly €300 less than they were going for on adverts.

I have heard that the warranty could be an issue over here because the american phones have a slightly different model number so if you need to send it back they might not be able to replace it.

Do we have any idea how much the phones will be Friday from apple? I'm looking at the American store and they're around 500 € and around €600 from uk store.. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Do we have any idea how much the phones will be Friday from apple? I'm looking at the American store and they're around 500 € and around €600 from uk store.. I

The 5s starts at £550 which is ~€650. Expect it to be €650-€700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It'll be in line with German & French pricing. 699 eur, 799 eur and 899 eur for the the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB respectively.

MrMac84 wrote: »

I've no idea. The 32gb from UK store is working out about €750. I presume they would have to price it near that in euro or else everybody will just buy from a UK store!

I have standby flights and I was nearly considering popping over to New York to pick one up since they are only $815 which is around €600 but then you can't guarantee they are in stock! And I would be seriously judged by my peers for being an iSheep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have standby flights and I was nearly considering popping over to New York to pick one up

Can you get them SIM Free in NY?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I presume you can get them in an apple store? The other option was to get it delivered to my friend who lives in Manhattan and go pick it up but I would just end up waiting ages for that too.

So I have ordered from the UK store to be delivered via Parcel Motel. Delivery not until the 12th-18th Nov. Gonna be a long wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

The US iPhones support different lte bands so lte may not work here.

• Advertisement

Yes, the US Apple Stores usually get the sim free versions later on in December, but going by the website they have them in stock at present.

Just be careful warranty as you cannot send it to Apple from Ireland to get anything fixed, it has to be sent back to Apple in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Also they can only be serviced in North America if something goes wrong

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.
    Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The US 5S supports all of our LTE bands I think. It supports more bands ontop of ours as well.

miralize wrote: »
    It'll be in line with German & French pricing. 699 eur, 799 eur and 899 eur for the the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB respectively.

They have gone up in price on the French store. €811 seems a huge leap from £629 in the UK store. They will have to have the Irish price lower than that?

http://gyazo.com/92adfd33331e278b0371a8c088a2726d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

So I have ordered from the UK store to be delivered via Parcel Motel. Delivery not until the 12th-18th Nov. Gonna be a long wait!

Parcel Motel only insure packages up to €100. Bit risky for a €700 phone no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Just got my Vodafone upgrade pushed through from today. Looks like i'l be getting it off them. I'm guessing getting it off them will be a nightmare with low stock levels.

They have gone up in price on the French store. €811 seems a huge leap from £629 in the UK store. They will have to have the Irish price lower than that?

http://gyazo.com/92adfd33331e278b0371a8c088a2726d

Keep in mind France's VAT rate is lower than Ireland too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume the price increase in France is over the copyright levy. Apple were ordered by a French court during the summer to pay 5 million to compensate artists for their music being pirated, supposedly on iPads sold during 2011. I'm guessing Apple have (rightly) passed the bill onto French consumers.

There’s been a lot of division in the EU over this. I’m not sure where Ireland stands on it.

I assume the price increase in France is over the copyright levy. Apple were ordered by a French court during the summer to pay 5 million to compensate artists for their music being pirated, supposedly on iPads sold during 2011. I'm guessing Apple have (rightly) passed the bill onto French consumers.

There’s been a lot of division in the EU over this. I’m not sure where Ireland stands on it.

Is that not signalling to people that it's ok to pirate since you've paid your upfront cost in buying the device?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is that not signalling to people that it's ok to pirate since you've paid your upfront cost in buying the device?

It's worded in such a way as to avoid this. Technically it's tax on legal copies of copyrighted work. Like if you bought a song from iTunes and burned it to a disc. It was originally placed on blank CDs but was later expanded to cover tablets and smartphones. But effectively it's about compensating copyright holders for piracy. A lot of countries have a similar tax.

Advertisement