Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund for debs dress bought online

Options
  • 18-09-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

My daughter bought a dress online from VoguePromDresses.co.uk and it arrived last Friday. The dress is the completely wrong size and a dressmaker advised that it couldn't be resized because it was so big. I emailed them immediately including photos of the dress on her. They have emailed to say that they have good quality control and that they sent what was ordered. They offered me 50% off my next order! Grrrrrrrrrrr. There is no phone number and no address to return the item to. Because they're outside the EU I don't seem to have any rights. I am going to contest it with them but I think the whole process will be futile. We had to hire a dress and while I was in the shop I spoke with another mother who had the same issue last year. She still waiting for a refund. I will also persue it with the bank and apply for a chargeback. If anyone could advise further I would really appreciate it. I would also like to know if there was somewhere I could report this site because its a total <SNIP> and I don't want to see anyone else go down this road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Out of curiosity, did they provide sizing guides on the website? Something like Size 12 = 34" bust, 28" waist etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Yes, they did and we went with their sizing, ordered a size 4 (US) and what arrived was a UK 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

chancer12 wrote: »
    Yes, they did and we went with their sizing, ordered a size 4 (US) and what arrived was a UK 10.

Thats correct a USA size 4 is the same as UK size 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

McLoughlin wrote: »

All online converter sites I have seen says a US size 4 is a UK size 6

http://www.85b.org/dress_conv.php

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

homer911 wrote: »
    All online converter sites I have seen says a US size 4 is a UK size 6

http://www.85b.org/dress_conv.php

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

Other sites give anywhere from a 10 (ASOS) to a 12 (Wikipedia, so least trustable out there). I believe from reading somewhere that this is due to huge amounts of vanity sizing in the US - this lead to the introduction of Size 0 and then 00 to refer to what used to be a 4.

• Advertisement

We referred to their measurement guide and went with the quoted inches/cms rather than individual sizing. The dress has a 36 inch bust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ForestFire

not sure if it applies here, but do you not have the right to return anything bought on Internet within 7days for a refund - normally unused (not sure if trying size counts as used) and you will have to pay the return postage?

ForestFire wrote: »
    not sure if it applies here, but do you not have the right to return anything bought on Internet within 7days for a refund - normally unused (not sure if trying size counts as used) and you will have to pay the return postage?

my problem is that there is no address to return it to. Yes, they say return within 7 days but they haven't given me an address. Because they're based outside the EU (China) they're not required to have their address on the web. The use a .co.uk address to fool you into thinking they're UK based. Its only when you run into difficulty that you discover otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ForestFire

my problem is that there is no address to return it to. Yes, they say return within 7 days but they haven't given me an address. Because they're based outside the EU (China) they're not required to have their address on the web. The use a .co.uk address to fool you into thinking they're UK based. Its only when you run into difficulty that you discover otherwise

But in your opening post you only said they had sent what you ordered, which is correct?

Did you request to send it back under the 7-day returns policy?
    Have they not agreed to this, and have they said why?
    If you request this maybe they will then give you the address?

Also, if you are going to contest it with your credit card company, I would retain all e-mails and make it clear in an e-mail that you wish to return under the 7-day policy and request the return address.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.voguepromdresses.co.uk/help#Return-Policy
    Please Note: We are Not responsible for the unfitness if the customers provide wrong size or measurements. We suggest the customers take the item to local shop to fix. We could help to fix without charge but the customers have to pay for the shipping cost for 2 ways.

No go I think, best you could do is keep bugging them and see if you get somewhere.

You have no consumer rights in this case as they are based in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I do a whois lookup on the domain name, this is the information that is returned
    Domain name:
    voguepromdresses.co.uk

Registrant:
    shen chen

Registrant type:
    Unknown

Registrant's address:
    Chaoyang District Beijing China
    beijing
    beijing
    China

Registrar:
    GoDaddy.com, LLP. [Tag = GODADDY]
    URL: http://www.godaddy.com

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 11-Dec-2012
    Expiry date: 11-Dec-2014
    Last updated: 12-Sep-2013

What you have here is a clear case of goods not being as described, which is normally grounds for refund, replacement or repair. If they won't engage with you, then document everything and look for a chargeback from your credit card provider.

Have done a Google search this afternoon and there are loads of reviews from people who have been <SNIP> by them. | will contest it with them but am downloading the other comments in the hope that the bank will take that as evidence. Am so angry about this. Hate being ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

McLoughlin wrote: »

No, the US size = 2 down from the UK size, ie US 6 = UK10, so a US 4 = UK8. Usually, although obviously some places the sizing is bigger.

Contact your credit card company, OP. Next time do your research before you place an ford and don't let the domain extension fool you into thinking it is a UK company just because it has a .co.uk part on the web address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

so you went online to get a bargain because you didn;t want to support local stores.

You get scammed by a site that shows cheap prices for cheap chinese made rubbish.

You complain that you did not get what you wanted!! - sorry, but next time support your local stores, get a dress fitted properly and ensure that your daughter feels great for her night out. Plenty of value on the main streets of Ireland.

TK Maxx & Kildare Village are 2 places you'll get great value and try it on and ensure a perfect fit before you buy.

as for any rights? - absolutley zilch as they are not based within EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

sandin wrote: »
    so you went online to get a bargain because you didn;t want to support local stores.

You get scammed by a site that shows cheap prices for cheap chinese made rubbish.

You complain that you did not get what you wanted!! - sorry, but next time support your local stores, get a dress fitted properly and ensure that your daughter feels great for her night out. Plenty of value on the main streets of Ireland.

TK Maxx & Kildare Village are 2 places you'll get great value and try it on and ensure a perfect fit before you buy.

There isnt much logic to your post. You are saying she should have supported the irish economy by buying a dress in An American owned company like Tk Maxx? I dont get the whole logic of buy goods within Ireland, when you pay over the odds for goods from foreign company. The OP probably paid more Taxes( VAT & Custom duties) on the dress importing it, rather than buying it in a foreign owned store here.

OP I would try charge back. But did you not think it was suspect when on the top right of the site complain is listed as a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

While we're doing a bit of pontificating I'd just like to post something that has been bugging me. Beyond the issues with the type of labour thats probably being used to make garments like this (yes I know penny's etc aren't much better) consider the fabrics etc that are being used. They are very unlikely to be adhering to any sort of regulations in relation to fire safety.

I hope that you get a refund, but you may have had a lucky escape on this one. Only takes a teenager to be buggering about with a firework for accidents to happen.

Yes, I went online to get a bargain. No, I wasn't aware that I was buying from China. And before you make snide comments you don't know the first thing about my family circumstances or that of my daughter. Get off your high horse. Like most parents I am attempting to do the best I can with the little I have. The choice of dress was hers, she didn't like anything she saw in TK Maxx. Its her night and she wants to feel special. It hasn't worked out but it certainly wouldn't have worked out by my picking something and telling her to wear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Yes, I went online to get a bargain. No, I wasn't aware that I was buying from China. And before you make snide comments you don't know the first thing about my family circumstances or that of my daughter. Get off your high horse. Like most parents I am attempting to do the best I can with the little I have. The choice of dress was hers, she didn't like anything she saw in TK Maxx. Its her night and she wants to feel special. It hasn't worked out but it certainly wouldn't have worked out by my picking something and telling her to wear it

No high horse, but too many people go online and believe everything they see and don't do any checking and then complain about it when it doesn't work out.

Plenty of stuff locally where it can be fitted and ensure 1005 satisfaction before pruchasing. Different TK maxx have different stock, plenty of sales and end of rail bargains in many stores too. - Online is FULL of scammers and you have no rights if they are outside the EU. Buying from a physical store and you have enormous rights. - Sometimes its worth the little extra.

Also try some of the premium secondhand stores - dresses worn for a day and sold for less than half price.

Also try some of the barnados stores (dun laoghaire & carlow in particular)- they get ex samples from some designers. - They have a particularly good name for wedding and bridesmaid dresses.

As for the other post about TK maxx not being Irish -last time I checked they employed LOCAL staff, had buildings in LOCAL shopping centres and paid LOCAL rates, LOCAL taxes and LOCAL utilities.

But forget about getting satisfaction from the place you have purchased the crrent dress from - they won't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No high horse, but too many people go online and believe everything they see and don't do any checking and then complain about it when it doesn't work out.

Plenty of stuff locally where it can be fitted and ensure 1005 satisfaction before pruchasing. Different TK maxx have different stock, plenty of sales and end of rail bargains in many stores too. - Online is FULL of scammers and you have no rights if they are outside the EU. Buying from a physical store and you have enormous rights. - Sometimes its worth the little extra.

Also try some of the premium secondhand stores - dresses worn for a day and sold for less than half price.

Also try some of the barnados stores (dun laoghaire & carlow in particular)- they get ex samples from some designers. - They have a particularly good name for wedding and bridesmaid dresses.

As for the other post about TK maxx not being Irish -last time I checked they employed LOCAL staff, had buildings in LOCAL shopping centres and paid LOCAL rates, LOCAL taxes and LOCAL utilities.

But forget about getting satisfaction from the place you have purchased the crrent dress from - they won't give a toss.

I bought two debs dresses online less than €200. The first needed to be taken in, the second was made to order and measure. Perfect fit, quality, fabric. Most people spend €400 on one. The local economy rips people off so badly when it comes to debs dresses, so feck them.

Advertisement