Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Freeze please help

Options
  • 18-09-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok so where to start, my PC freeze's for no reason when i am using chrome or Internet explorer i have run every type of stress test going and cant find a fault with my hardware.

I have also made use everything is up to date.

Specs:

AMD FX 4170 Quad-core 4.20Ghz

8GB 1600mhz patriot viper Ram

Nvidia GTX 660

1TB 7200rpm HDD

m5a97 R2.0 motherboard

TP-LINK 150mbps wireless

PSU: Cosair 650w

Any help would be great as it is really doing my head in now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Does it freeze completely? Do you have to do a hard reset? Or can you ctrl-esc/ctrl-alt-del and close any unresponsive apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanskyline

Does it freeze completely? Do you have to do a hard reset? Or can you ctrl-esc/ctrl-alt-del and close any unresponsive apps?

Yea i have to hard reset, sometime the mouse can move but nothing responds and sometimes the mouse freezes two, but i can never ctrl,alt,del

How many sticks of RAM do you have?
    Can you remove 1 stick and test? If it crashes, remove the remaining stick and put in the first one.

Process of elimination!

How many sticks of RAM do you have?
    Can you remove 1 stick and test? If it crashes, remove the remaining stick and put in the first one.

Process of elimination!

Yea i have two so i will try that thanks.

Yea i have two so i will try that thanks.

Let me know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a loose RAM module. Make sure the clips are fully fastened holding the modules in place. What happens is as the system heats up the RAM slightly dislodges and causes the lock up. My machine passed memtest86+ with flying colours for hours with no problem suffering similar symptoms, the culprit was a loose RAM module :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

The HDD could have took a knock. Try chkdsk and schedule a disk check for the next reboot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Ok guys so i have taken the PC apart, cleaned it, applied new terminal paste, made sure all the connections are good and made sure the ram was in 100% in, also i ran chkdsk and found nothing, everything seems to be working great now but i will keep you posted if any more problems come up.

Thanks all for you help :D

Ok guys so its been a few days since i done everything that was suggested the good news is that i havent had any freeze's that lead to a hard reboot, but there has been a few times where it would freeze for about 20sec's, I dont mind it that much but would be nice to fix it.

All that is running is chrome with maybe 3/4 tabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Maybe try and re-install chrome or go with firefox and see if that improves it?

Bit strange it only happens with the browser.If it was hardware acting up it would freeze when you could be doing anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement