Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word to pdf recommendation Apple mac

Options
  • 18-09-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a word doc on my mac that I want to convert to pdf, the existing printer doesn't recognize the font.

Can any one recommend a converter suitable for OSX 10.6.8 please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

nightster1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a word doc on my mac that I want to convert to pdf, the existing printer doesn't recognize the font.

Can any one recommend a converter suitable for OSX 10.6.8 please

Did you generate the word doc yourself? Recent versions of MS Office allow you to save as PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

I work as a graphic designer in a print house. Most of our customers send us word files and we just convert to PDF ourselves. If fonts are missing/different we ask customers to save as a PDF via something like www.zamzar.com and we never have issues.

Word on Mac has always had a save to PDF version since Word 2005/2008. However if not, just go to print and print to Adobe PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

OSX can convert pretty much anything to PDF. Select Print... then "Save as PDF..." from the PDF menu in bottom left. (May vary slightly between OS versions).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Thanks all for the replies. Still no luck.

I can save word to pdf no prob on docs I generate myself, they then show up as pdf files on desktop. In this case I have rec'd a proforma generated elsewhere. I then fill in the blanks. When I go to save as pdf:confused: I cannot save to pdf in the usual way.

You received the file as a word doc, then make changes and try to save it as a PDF?

• Advertisement

You received the file as a word doc, then make changes and try to save it as a PDF?

Ta. yes that's right. I was thinking maybe it's a font prob, but i'm unsure

If that's the case you should have no problem saving the word file as a PDF via the File - Save As context menu, or the File - Print menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Problem is the missing font. To choose your own substitution font, select Tools, Options, click the Compatibility tab. Click the Font Substitution button. On the left you'll see the missing font listed. Select the font you want to replace it with from the drop-down menu on the right. When you finish, click OK.

(might be somewhat different in Word for Mac)

Torqay wrote: »
    Problem is the missing font. To choose your own substitution font, select Tools, Options, click the Compatibility tab. Click the Font Substitution button. On the left you'll see the missing font listed. Select the font you want to replace it with from the drop-down menu on the right. When you finish, click OK.

(might be somewhat different in Word for Mac)

Many thanks. I was thinking it's a font issue. My tools bar in word doesn't have an options tab, but ill explore further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

nightster1 wrote: »

Have the person who sent you the .doc print to .pdf on their machine and send you the output. :confused: You can then print to your heart's content.

Another alternative is to buy the missing font and install it on your Mac.

As soon as you open a document in Word, it checks its available fonts and makes decisions about substitutions for missing fonts using rules you can specify. It has nothing to do with your printer.

What version of Word / Office for Mac are you using?

If it's 2004 or 2011, in Word go to Preferences>Compatibility>Font Substitution ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kennyp

I would print to PDF if the font issue still arises - go to the pdf printer driver and change the properties to print as image or turn on font sub

Advertisement