Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Paz-CCFC every pub in the land has to display it's price list in a standard format. Granted it may not be visible straight away but if you are price conscious they you should be aware of this and seek it out. There's no harm asking the barman what's the general price of a pint before you order, no shame in that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

@Paz-CCFC every pub in the land has to display it's price list in a standard format. Granted it may not be visible straight away but if you are price conscious they you should be aware of this and seek it out. There's no harm asking the barman what's the general price of a pint before you order, no shame in that at all.

Every pub/hotel I ever worked in had to have a list by law something like this displayed somewhere visible, usually near the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The law on pricing is woefully inadequate. Only one draught stout/lager/ale/cider, one bottle equivalent of those etc. has to have its price displayed. And those pricelists can be displayed in awkward places, on small A4 sheets, solely to abide by the bare minimum legislation requires.

Consumers shouldn't have to seek out the price. Every single product should be clearly displayed, at the entrance (some pubs do this, but very few in my experience) or on boards over or beside the bar etc. In a shopping centre, if the shops had all the price down in one corner, that'd be deemed unacceptable. I don't see why a consumer should be expected to actively work to find out the prices of the product that they want. I agree, no shame in asking the barman, but again, a consumer shouldn't have to ask the price of all the products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The law on pricing is woefully inadequate. Only one draught stout/lager/ale/cider, one bottle equivalent of those etc. has to have its price displayed. And those pricelists can be displayed in awkward places, on small A4 sheets, solely to abide by the bare minimum legislation requires.

Consumers shouldn't have to seek out the price. Every single product should be clearly displayed, at the entrance (some pubs do this, but very few in my experience) or on boards over or beside the bar etc. In a shopping centre, if the shops had all the price down in one corner, that'd be deemed unacceptable. I don't see why a consumer should be expected to actively work to find out the prices of the product that they want. I agree, no shame in asking the barman, but again, a consumer shouldn't have to ask the price of all the products.

I think for draft, the pint/glass price should be on the tap itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Loire wrote: »
    I think for draft, the pint/glass price should be on the tap itself.

Just like they do in wetherspoons, I would definitely be in favour of it but the VFI would have a stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I suppose the thing about pub prices is that consumers are expected to go in, order blind and hand over a tenner or a twenty without knowing the prices. In a shop or a restaurant, they have them displayed on the shelves or on the door/menu. Many have it online as well, so you can get an idea of what you'll be paying ever before you enter the place. Pubs like the Franciscan Well and Bierhaus are very informative in terms of their products, with menus/chalkboards displaying the type of beer, abv and price. Wetherspoons will be good as well, with their menus in the pub and online. The majority of pubs don't do this, however. They know that the consumer with ten others behind him in the queue won't ask "What's the price of this tap? And this one? And this one?". They'll just feel under pressure and order a beer without knowing the price.

Lack of consumer information is probably my biggest gripe with the pubs. Charging high prices for drinks is one thing. Their value can be debated. But not having the prices of your products clearly displayed is simply unacceptable, in my opinion.

I'm with you on that.
    Rising Sons is another appalling example of this - and some of the draught beers there can be crazy money.

Personally, I only frequent pubs I know to have reasonable prices and/or clearly displayed prices, Bierhaus and Fran Well being two of them. The Abbot's Ale House also display their prices clearly.

Personally, I only frequent pubs I know to have reasonable prices and/or clearly displayed prices, Bierhaus and Fran Well being two of them. The Abbot's Ale House also display their prices clearly.

prices in Bierhaus etc can be just as high as Rising Sons etc but you are happy to spend your money in the former because the prices are clearly displayed?

I'm all for clear pricing, most the pubs don't do it for obvious reasons.

The Government has removed most of my disposable income now so they have indirectly relieved me of problems like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Was I rising sons once the week it opened. Was a bit shocked when I ordered steeple hemp. Barman ...5.30 . Similar or better over in bierhaus was 4 odd euro or 3 euro for cask with beoir card

prices in Bierhaus etc can be just as high as Rising Sons etc .

No. Like for like, this is never the case.

prices in Bierhaus etc can be just as high as Rising Sons etc .

• Advertisement

OK, fair enough.

I do find it a bit cheeky alright from the likes of Rising Sons, they brew the beer on site so surely transport costs etc have been greatly slashed and they still have the neck to charge €5.30 per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Back on topic, anyone have an opening date?

CHealy wrote: »
    Back on topic, anyone have an opening date?

A long shot but their link here says

"This pub opened on: 01 Sep 2015"

They are from the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I passed by today and there seemed to be a lot of work going on anyway

3 months sounds about right, there is a lot of working to do there as they are making the Newport and Mangans into the one unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

Opening two weeks before Freshers Week. Jumping in the deep end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hope you still don't have to get an elevator to get to the toilet when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Looking at plans online the gents are downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

gimmick wrote: »
    I hope you still don't have to get an elevator to get to the toilet when it opens.

I dread to think about how many drunk lads just pished in that lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Where can I see the plans online does anyone know? The one in Dun Laoghaire has a bar on both floors and the gents is downstairs. In the blackrock one which also has two floors (but only the bottom one as a bar), the toilets are upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

kingtut wrote: »
    Where can I see the plans online does anyone know? The one in Dun Laoghaire has a bar on both floors and the gents is downstairs. In the blackrock one which also has two floors (but only the bottom one as a bar), the toilets are upstairs.

All the planning documents are available on the Cork City Council planning site

They're quite good for uploading everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Didn't JD Wetherspoon's already purchase the former Bank of Ireland retail branch (old BOI bank in Douglas includes a fine size car park at the rear for future development) in Douglas Village?
    If it is now Wetherspoons's it would bring welcome competition in terms of more competitive pricing for Food & Drink for the existing bars in that suburb. A bar venue free from loud music is sometimes a welcome relief if people wanna chat and hear each other on a night out with the lads/ladies. Bring on the cheaper priced beers & grub if it tastes alright and costs much less overall at the end of a session!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Didn't JD Wetherspoon's already purchase the former Bank of Ireland retail branch (old BOI bank in Douglas includes a fine size car park at the rear for future development) in Douglas Village?
    Yeah they did and its currently awaiting planning permission. I think someone said above that it had gone back to JDW for some comment or something along those lines but it'll probably be a few months yet before theres a decision.

moyners wrote: »
    All the planning documents are available on the Cork City Council planning site

They're quite good for uploading everything

I look forward to checking out J.D.Wetherspoon's new Cork City Centre licenced premises to be known as: The Linen Weaver on Paul Street (formerly Newport Bar right opposite main entrance to Paul Street Shopping Centre). Apparently it is hoped to be open by 1st September this year so they are aiming at being settled in time for the Christmas Trading Season.

Sadly, no premium beers such as Heineken, Amstel, Guinness products or even Murphy's Irish Stout at bargain basement prices however; you should be able to get Foster's Lager and Beamish Stout among other less known names. No loud music blaring so expect a lot of chatting too and food! I'm not sure if they provide TV Sport such as Sky Sports, ESPN, BT Sport and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I look forward to checking out J.D.Wetherspoon's new Cork City Centre licenced premises to be known as: The Linen Weaver on Paul Street (formerly Newport Bar right opposite main entrance to Paul Street Shopping Centre). Apparently it is hoped to be open by 1st September this year so they are aiming at being settled in time for the Christmas Trading Season.

Sadly, no premium beers such as Heineken, Amstel, Guinness products or even Murphy's Irish Stout at bargain basement prices however; you should be able to get Foster's Lager and Beamish Stout among other less known names. No loud music blaring so expect a lot of chatting too and food! I'm not sure if they provide TV Sport such as Sky Sports, ESPN, BT Sport and so on?

I wouldn't be so sure. I've been in witherspoons in the UK that were like sports bars with all the tvs and had bands and djs at night

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. I've been in witherspoons in the UK that were like sports bars with all the tvs and had bands and djs at night

I've no reason to doubt your own personal experience of Wetherspoons in the UK however; they are not necessarily gonna treat the Irish market in exactly the same way.

Look at the way a different arrangement with Heineken will allow their main Heineken & Amstel products to be sold at special low rates at Wetherspoons premises in the UK but under absolutely no circumstances was the same deal gonna apply over here in the Republic of Ireland. We were lucky to get Fosters and Beamish stout at the reduced rates along with some obscure "yellow-pack" beers I suspect.

Time will tell in relation to Live TV Sports and Music/DJs although; it is my understanding that they will not be providing music in the pubs here in the Republic of Ireland.

Sadly, no premium beers such as Heineken, Amstel, Guinness products or even Murphy's Irish Stout at bargain basement prices however; you should be able to get Foster's Lager and Beamish Stout ?

You seriously view Heineken and Amstel as "premium products"? Really. I've no issue if you like these product but what makes them "premium"?
    How is Beamish less "premium" than Guinness or Foster's less "premium" than Amstel or Heineken?
    Is it down to quality of ingredients?
    Is it down to expensive production processes?
    Or is just because these products are more extensively marketed, more expensive and more popular that you see them as "premium"?

Witherspoon's are great supporters of local and international microbreweries wherever they open. Expect to see lots of genuinely high quality Irish beers (ones made with quality ingredients without short cut cost saving industrial processes) at very reasonable prices.
    They will have way more "premium" products than the average bar.

Strange post. Are you a publician? Calling Heineken and amstel premium brands!

rob316 wrote: »
    Strange post. Are you a publician? Calling Heineken and amstel premium brands!

Guys, I'm NOT a Publican - Don't shoot the messenger! Of course it's all a matter of personal taste but the producers obviously want their product range to be viewed differently.

For example; Heineken Ireland clearly wanted Murphy's Irish Stout to be regarded as more upmarket than Beamish Stout whether you or I agree with them or not. If you want to know why, you need to go and ask them as I am not privy to all aspects of their internal market strategies for obvious reasons! My argument was based on what Heineken UK and Heineken Ireland eventually decided was acceptable to them in each respective territory following the fall-out with Wetherspoons.

• Advertisement

You seriously view Heineken and Amstel as "premium products"? Really. I've no issue if you like these product but what makes them "premium"?
    How is Beamish less "premium" than Guinness or Foster's less "premium" than Amstel or Heineken?
    Is it down to quality of ingredients?
    Is it down to expensive production processes?
    Or is just because these products are more extensively marketed, more expensive and more popular that you see them as "premium"?

Witherspoon's are great supporters of local and international microbreweries wherever they open. Expect to see lots of genuinely high quality Irish beers (ones made with quality ingredients without short cut cost saving industrial processes) at very reasonable prices.
    They will have way more "premium" products than the average bar.

Guys, I'm NOT a Publican - Don't shoot the messenger! Of course it's all a matter of personal taste but the producers obviously want their product range to be viewed differently.

For example; Heineken Ireland clearly wanted Murphy's Irish Stout to be regarded as more upmarket than Beamish Stout whether you or I agree with them or not. If you want to know why, you need to go and ask them as I am not privy to all aspects of their internal market strategies for obvious reasons! My argument was based on what Heineken UK and Heineken Ireland eventually decided was acceptable to them in each respective territory following the fall-out with Wetherspoons.

Advertisement