Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height restrictions

Options
  • 18-09-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

I am new to this so will give it a shot at least! On a recent trip around a small part of the west of Ireland i started to notice that there seemed to be a large number of Height Restriction barriers at access points to beaches, car parks, shopping centers etc.. This was annoying as i had a high top camper van with me. Can anyone explain why these barriers have been erected? Why are they needed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Freire_16 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am new to this so will give it a shot at least! On a recent trip around a small part of the west of Ireland i started to notice that there seemed to be a large number of Height Restriction barriers at access points to beaches, car parks, shopping centers etc.. This was annoying as i had a high top camper van with me. Can anyone explain why these barriers have been erected? Why are they needed?

Thanks!

Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

650Ginge wrote: »
    Travellers.

Not really :rolleyes:

They are the lazy solution for keeping out certain people who may use the area to set up an unauthorised encampment and commit offences against litter, pollution and public order regulations.

It's so much easier for the authorities to deny access to such areas to everyone with a high vehicle (including law abiding people), instead of prosecuting the law breakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I believe in France they have a law restricting the number of days (to a maximum of 5, I think) a vehicle (camper/motorhome/caravan) can remain parked in the same parking area in any period of time (1 month, 3 months etc). It can also apply on private ground such as a "terrain de loisirs" (leisure ground). It you want to stay longer you have to get permission from the local town hall. Thus there are very few hight restriction barriers there.

And what annoys me about these so called parking or picnic areas is that they are generally empty or only have one or two cars there. So much expense to make the area and only car users can use them. A number of times, recently, I have had to park over night in the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

niloc1951 wrote: »
    ......certain people who may use the area to set up an unauthorised encampment and commit offences against litter, pollution and public order regulations

I take it you're being sarcastic there Niloc - that's pretty much a spot on description of the problems our mobile brethren have caused, and the reason why barriers are in place to keep them out. I could be wrong, but with our generous state rental allowances, there doesn't seem to be as much "wild camping" going on - maybe we are in a position to open up these public spaces again for everyones use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

odds_on wrote: »
    I believe in France they have a law restricting the number of days (to a maximum of 5, I think) a vehicle (camper/motorhome/caravan) can remain parked in the same parking area in any period of time (1 month, 3 months etc). It can also apply on private ground such as a "terrain de loisirs" (leisure ground). It you want to stay longer you have to get permission from the local town hall. Thus there are very few hight restriction barriers there.

And what annoys me about these so called parking or picnic areas is that they are generally empty or only have one or two cars there. So much expense to make the area and only car users can use them. A number of times, recently, I have had to park over night in the main street.

Hight barriers are actually illegal in France. The only time they are permitted to be used is as advanced warning of restricted headroom (bridge etc.)

The ACCL (Association Camping-Car Liberté) in France have won court cases against several municipalities who installed hight barriers to 'restrict free movement', and have been awarded damages in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Had two weeks holidays in August in my campervan in France. Traveled around brittany and some of Charente maritime and height barriers are very much in evidence on car parks in both areas. Perhap not as common as this country but plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Freire_16

Thanks for the feedback! Why would these barriers be directly aimed at 'Travellers? Would that not be deemed as pretty direct discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Freire_16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! Why would these barriers be directly aimed at 'Travellers? Would that not be deemed as pretty direct discrimination?

Well they don't have "Traveller Barrier" written on them or anything, so there's no outright proof that's what they're for - and you won't get anyone from the council admitting it - but it's pretty obvious to anyone who's seen the way that camps have been set up over the years and the mess they've caused, that this is the reason for the barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Its not just the travellers theses hight bars are aimed at a lot of them are to keep the motorhome community out,some county councils Kerry being the one im thinking of but they are not alone are of the opinion that if they bar us from their parks we will go to the hotels,guesthouses and camp-sites instead,the use of bye laws to fine people for overnight parking is an other deterrent used more recently
    Same as the op i cant understand why as a law abiding motorist i should be banned from useing theses areas purely because i drive a motorhome. I would like to see some of theses barriers and bye laws challenged

Advertisement