Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluorescent lights draining battery.

Options
  • 18-09-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

So a friend of mine is having problems with the battery on his car draining. He put a new battery in a few weeks ago, went away and it's drained again. He keeps his car in an underground car park with fluorescent lighting. His mechanic tells him that fluorescent lights drain car batteries.
    Sounds like complete and total BS to me. Has anyone else ever even heard of this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Get the mechanic to explain exactly how it happens cos that's a story i'd really like to hear.Sounds like the mechanic isn't very good at mechanics and can't find the problem so palmed him off with this crap.

Nothing can drain a battery except something connected to it or its natural wastage over a period of years ,known as the battery's shelf life.Fully charge the battery,disconnect the car leads and leave it over night.If the battery holds its charge you know its the car draining it,then take it to a competent mechanic who can find the source of the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's exactly what I had thought. I think it's likely to be a charger or something left in the cigarette socket or a bulb in the boot not switching off from a faulty switch.
    I was curious if anyone had heard of this myth before.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

could be loads of things draining the battery, could be a faulty altenator, a dormant factory alarm system, a stereo wired incorrectly, list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Or one or two I seen, boot light not going off when the boot is closed.

Advertisement