Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me up off the plateau!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

Wednesday Morning

Weights session

Wednesday Lunchtime
    lunchtime run 8k at an easy pace

Thursday Morning

60 mins on the Turbo including 3*12 mins with 4 @95%, 4@100%, 4@ 105%,

Saturday Morning
    No Turbo session, I slept right through my alarm and woke at 07.30 having missed my slot. maybe it was a sign that I should save my legs for the half-marathon on Sunday

Sunday Morning
    Packed two sleepy and surprised kids into the car at 7.am to drive to Tralee.

One of my brothers had to pull out of the race with a stomach bug so we were down to five on the day, myself,my wife, my younger brother and my two sisters.

I ran the first 16k with my younger brother, tipping away at a handy enough pace averaging 4.30 per kilometre. I was really enjoying the race and had a great rhythm going, we just chatted away while running. most of the time our footsteps were synchronised which I love, the sound is hypnotising and you feel like part of a machine.

At 16k my calf started to lock up a bit and by 16.5k I was in a bit of trouble. Sensing my difficulty, the younger brother upped the pace and pushed ahead to take the lead. I tried to respond but my pace dropped off and I had to let him go. I stopped a couple of times, but that did no good. After a few kilometres of horrible running, basically horsing myself on using my left leg, the right calf just loosened up again. I had found the run fairly handy until the 16k mark so I said to myself, "time to enter the pain cave" for the last couple of kilometres, I pushed hard and it felt great, so I pushed harder and caught and overtook all the guys who overtook me when my calf was seized up. I finished in 1:34, just 2 mins behind the younger brother. I am fairly happy with this as it is my first ever half marathon, and my first time running over 12k in 2.5 years.

Monday
    St patricks day, took the kids to the parade.

Tuesday morning
    was up for ages with a teething infant. my legs have serious DOMS :eek: so when 6.20 came around I just couldn't bring myself to get up on the Turbo. I feel a bit guilty now but I'm not sure what kind of a session I would have managed.

Tuesday Lunchtime
    8k easy lunchtime run.. the legs feel much better now.

Wednesday Morning
    Another tricky night with a teething infant... he was happy to sleep in my arms, but if I even thought about putting him back into his cot he was off again.

early morning weights session

Wednesday lunchtime
    Lunchtime Run 11.7k in a relaxed 52mins.

• Advertisement

Thursday Morning

Turbo session - started off on a planned session of over-unders but quickly realised there was nothing in the legs, so I switched to 1 hour at 50% FTP.

Friday Morning
    Masters Swim session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Tuesday Lunchtime

Slow recovery run, 8 or 9 k in around 45 mins

Wednesday Morning
    Weights

Thursday Morning
    60 mins on the Turbo including 4 * 10 mins at 100% FTP with 2 mins recovery

Awesome blog. I did this Lamarck session yesterday. Man it's tough. What's your watts/kg out of interest. Have to laugh when you mention kids. We have 3 small girls and had to do my sessions last year at 6am and often had one of them open the sitting room door, hop on the couch and and try to have a discussion with me about Peppa Pig all the while I'm suffering doing an interval and trying to talk at the same time. That's fatherhood though.

Awesome blog. I did this Lamarck session yesterday. Man it's tough. What's your watts/kg out of interest. Have to laugh when you mention kids. We have 3 small girls and had to do my sessions last year at 6am and often had one of them open the sitting room door, hop on the couch and and try to have a discussion with me about Peppa Pig all the while I'm suffering doing an interval and trying to talk at the same time. That's fatherhood though.

Thanks PPrendeville, I got out of the habit of updating the blog over the last month or so. Training has been pretty solid and consistent though. I Love the story about the Peppa Pig discussions :D, that's exactly what it's like with kids around. Any time I have a go on the foam roller, my little girl is in like a shot to "practise her surfing".

My FTP is 282 and weight is 69kg which works out at 4.1 watts per KG. That's based on trainerroad virtual power though as I don't have a power meter. I use a Watt bike the odd time in the gym and the numbers seem fairly consistent with trainerroad, but it's hard to tell for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks PPrendeville, I got out of the habit of updating the blog over the last month or so. Training has been pretty solid and consistent though. I Love the story about the Peppa Pig discussions :D, that's exactly what it's like with kids around. Any time I have a go on the foam roller, my little girl is in like a shot to "practise her surfing".

My FTP is 282 and weight is 69kg which works out at 4.1 watts per KG. That's based on trainerroad virtual power though as I don't have a power meter. I use a Watt bike the odd time in the gym and the numbers seem fairly consistent with trainerroad, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Wow, that's some FTP you have there. You should consider road racing. :D
    Good aul Peppa, it's actually quite an enjoyable cartoon although they have changed the voice which is annoying. :pac:
    Just started using TR. What a great concept.

Advertisement