If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help...my Monitor Audio WV8 Just went up in flames....Literally!!!!!!!

Options
  • 18-09-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Was watching a movie earlier on and a humming noise started to come constantly through my sub, then smoke started to come out of the bottom ! I have it 20-24 months and it's had little use - maybe 2-3 times a week (its in a cabin we use for movie nights) the cabin is well insulated and bone-dry - and its plugged into a power-surge protected switch. i'm baffled as to what caused this, I've included some pictures....Any advice lads?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

kingaaa wrote: »
    Was watching a movie earlier on and a humming noise started to come constantly through my sub, then smoke started to come out of the bottom ! I have it 20-24 months and it's had little use - maybe 2-3 times a week (its in a cabin we use for movie nights) the cabin is well insulated and bone-dry - and its plugged into a power-surge protected switch. i'm baffled as to what caused this, I've included some pictures....Any advice lads?
    In the first instance - apologies, of course this should not have happened - I would presume without even referring to them that Monitor Audio will be rather keen to get this back to base to fully test it to see what has happened here - it looks from the photos as if the voice coil has run really hot and melted the adhesive which retains the cone - if you could PM your details I'll arrange to have it collected and sent to Monitor Audio for inspection.

I'm actually meeting one of the chief bods from Monitor Tomorrow (Thursday) so I'll bring this up as a meeting point when I see him and revert here asap,

Thanks again,

John McDonald

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

In the first instance - apologies, of course this should not have happened - I would presume without even referring to them that Monitor Audio will be rather keen to get this back to base to fully test it to see what has happened here - it looks from the photos as if the voice coil has run really hot and melted the adhesive which retains the cone - if you could PM your details I'll arrange to have it collected and sent to Monitor Audio for inspection.

I'm actually meeting one of the chief bods from Monitor Tomorrow (Thursday) so I'll bring this up as a meeting point when I see him and revert here asap,

Thanks again,

John McDonald
    Thanks John - I'll p.m. my address.....I actually think you dropped them off in a 4x4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Kingaaa.

Collection arranged as agreed.

Can you label the box with the following : 

FAO Dan
    Monitor Audio
    24 Brook Road
    Rayleigh
    Essex
    SS6 7XJ

Many thanks

Dave

No problem Dave, and once again thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

my wv8 has also packed it in. didn't go up in flames though, just stopped working.

tried replacing the fuse in the unit with the spare one provided but both are fine.

replaced the fuse in the plug, but still nothing doing. does this happen a lot - subs just stop working for no reason?

i've had mine about 2 years, bought from r sounds.

the other speakers are fine, all monitor too.

did you have links to prices of replacements?

Edit: just saw the mrw10 on another thread.

shipping on this to dublin guys?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

who_ru wrote: »
    my wv8 has also packed it in. didn't go up in flames though, just stopped working.

tried replacing the fuse in the unit with the spare one provided but both are fine.

replaced the fuse in the plug, but still nothing doing. does this happen a lot - subs just stop working for no reason?

Hi Who,

Sorry to hear that :(

If you can drop me a PM with your name and address the pack was bought under I can check on the warranty for you. 

For the MRW10 we could offer delivery at just £9.95.

Let me know on the Vector and we'll see what we can do.

Chris

Who-RU,

just spotted your post and it seems that there is an anti VW8 epidemic out there!!

We will happily repair your VW8 under warranty is it's only 2 years old - Monitor Audio are really good and I'm sure they will give us the parts for your unit.

If you would like to PM me the details I'll get the guys to give you a shout to get you sorted out - or of course I'll offer you and extra extra special upgrade deal on an MSW10 ;)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Kenny/John

PM sent to Kenny.

Cheers.

Kenny/John

PM sent to Kenny.

Cheers.
    It will probably be the 2nd half of next week before i can get the sub up to you there John/Kenny, a bit tied up lately although nothing kinky i can assure you.

Thanks again.

Kenny/John

PM sent to Kenny.

Cheers.
    It will probably be the 2nd half of next week before i can get the sub up to you there John/Kenny, a bit tied up lately although nothing kinky i can assure you.

Thanks again.
    Hey who_ru.

No problems at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've one of these too. Mine runs very hot on the rear panel when switched on - even on standby.
    I have to leave it switched off when not in use, but when you turn it on, it can emit a very loud buzzing noise. I've learned to turn on the rocker switch verrrryyy slowly to (mostly) prevent this.
    Apart from this, it's a good sub.

Hi Gman, we have managed to resolve the issues with these so if your sub is acting up then we can get this sent sorted out for you.

They have a 2 year warranty so if it's inside that, send it up to us and we'll get it sorted for you.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Gman, we have managed to resolve the issues with these so if your sub is acting up then we can get this sent sorted out for you.

They have a 2 year warranty so if it's inside that, send it up to us and we'll get it sorted for you.

Many thanks

Dave
    Hi Dave, any word on my sub ??

Hi Kinga, can you give me a buzz when you get a sec ?

I've left a message on your mobile.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Dave...tried to ring on the number you left but it's not going through?

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Dave...tried to ring on the number you left but it's not going through?
    Hi Kingaaa,

Sorry you couldn't get through.  Must have been pretty hectic here yesterday.

Dave is back in on Monday so I'll get him to get in touch with you.

Chris

Big shout out to all the Lads in Richersounds, especially Dave....it's great to see true customer service still exists. Monitor Audio seemed to be looking for a way out of replacing the unit but the lads stepped up and sent me a new sub....saying they would deal with M.A. With customer service like that, why would you go anywhere else?

Cheers Lads

Key Kingaaa, we hate to see happy customers with unhappy products, so we dealt with it. Glad we could help. Any future hassles, keep us posted.

ATB

Dave

Many thanks

Dave
    I spoke with Kenny (or maybe Chris) at the weekend re this when I was putting through an order. Any update?

Hi Guys,

PM'd kenny a while back regarding the sub i sent for repair. i got your pm about transit issues.

is there an update on this?

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »

Many thanks

Dave
    I spoke with Kenny (or maybe Chris) at the weekend re this when I was putting through an order. Any update?
    Hi G,

Don't think it was myself you were chatting to.  

I'll drop you a PM now.

Chris

Hi Guys,

PM'd kenny a while back regarding the sub i sent for repair. i got your pm about transit issues.

Hi again,

We've got the new amp module here in the store.

We'll have one of the guys get it swapped over asap!

Apologies about the delay.

Chris

Hi Guys,

Hi again,

Chris
    Thanks Chris

Hi Guys,

Hi again,

Chris
    Thanks Chris
    Hi

Subwoofer received back yesterday from Richersounds after being repaired. It's in perfect working order and an excellent repair job it is.

Thanks to all concerned - much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

Hi again,

Chris
    Thanks Chris
    Hi

Subwoofer received back yesterday from Richersounds after being repaired. It's in perfect working order and an excellent repair job it is.

Thanks to all concerned - much appreciated.
    Hi Who,

Glad you've got it back :)  

Now you can enjoy your full system again!

Chris

Hi guys, my query has reached a bit of a dead end it seems.
    Since MA have produced these faulty subs, and I have notified that my one has been running very hot, should I :
    A: Throw it in the bin
    B: Continue to use it with the risk of it going on fire due to a known manufacturers fault.
    or 
    C. Think a little more wisely when spending in the future?

Since MA have produced these faulty subs, and I have notified that my one has been running very hot, should I :
    B: Continue to use it with the risk of it going on fire due to a known manufacturers fault.
    or 
    Hi G,

I've requested another call back from Monitor Audio on this.

I'll let you know what they say.

Chris

or 
    Gman,

We have spoken to MA regarding your Vector sub - however prior to saying how we got on - I have to say that there is NO generic issue with Vector subs overheating - we have literally sold 100's of these subs over the years and we have seen one issue with one unit which produced smoke from the driver.

Whilst its always unfortunate that ANY unit is faulty its unfortunately a fact of life and its not that unusual for a drive unit to overheat and produce smoke - this can frequently happen with passive drivers which do not have a built in amplifier. Its also common for amplifiers to run hot, sometimes especially when they are running a low load - but to restate - there really is no general problem with the Vector subwoofer overheating - I have spoken to Monitor Audio and they dont have any concerns and I've done a web search and there are no reports that I can see of any 'smoking' VW8's. ( and we all know that ANY issue will always be plastered over the web!)

Monitor Audio have said that if you are concerned about your subwoofer - you can send it to them and they will test it and if there is any issue they will contribute to the repair cost even though it is outside warranty.

If you are going to send it to Monitor Audio please just drop us a line and I'll tell them to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks again and pelase feel free to drop me a line if you are unhappy or if we can assist in any way - however my general message would be that there is NO known manufacturer's fault - but again fi you are concerned - they are happy to assist.

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manuel Castellano

Hello, I just faced the same problem that Who_ru. I bought my Vector speakers package 1 year + ago. I bring my speakers to spain were I'm actually leaving, perfectly packaged and I installed all of them. It worked perfect only for a couple of hours. Then the VW8 never turned on again. I checked the fuses and both (working and replace ones) are perfect, but the subwoofer never turned on again. 
    Could you pls, tell me what can I do?.

Regards.

Manuel.

• Advertisement

Hello, I just faced the same problem that Who_ru. I bought my Vector speakers package 1 year + ago. I bring my speakers to spain were I'm actually leaving, perfectly packaged and I installed all of them. It worked perfect only for a couple of hours. Then the VW8 never turned on again. I checked the fuses and both (working and replace ones) are perfect, but the subwoofer never turned on again. 
    Could you pls, tell me what can I do?.

Regards.

Manuel.
    Manuel,

if you can PM me your receipt details from us with date of purchase I will look up your purchase and get onto Monitor Audio for you to see how we can sort this issue for you in Spain,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.