Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering operation, Vet says no water from 8pm the night before hand?

• 18-09-2013 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Our Newfoundland Collie cross is in the Vets to be neutered on Friday morning and they want him in a 9am but as well as the no food for 24hrs beforehand which is quite normal and expected they have also said no water after 8pm the night before.

Has anyone else heard of this as its news to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Never heard of that, my vet has always said for any operation mine have gone in for, no food after 8pm the night before the op but they can have water right up until they come in....what your vet says seems a bit extreme to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'm ignoring it tbh, no food, but anything that's in his stomach will be all over the rear seat of the car anyway so it will all be gone before the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My vet says no food after 8pm, no water after midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

It makes sense not to give him water that morning. It could come back up under anaesthetic and go into his lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

inocybe wrote: »
    It makes sense not to give him water that morning. It could come back up under anaesthetic and go into his lungs.

+1 sedation makes them puke so don't risk it - my dog was sedated one time just enough to make it easier for a vet to examine him and he was dry heaving (he had been fasted).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm ignoring it tbh, no food, but anything that's in his stomach will be all over the rear seat of the car anyway so it will all be gone before the op.

Listen to your vet. He is a qualified animal surgeon, you are not.

If he says no water, don't decide you know better because when it comes to anaethetising animals you are guessing blind.

Amazed and disappointed that anyone would think to contradict a professionals advice when it comes to surgery.

I am pie wrote: »
    Listen to your vet. He is a qualified animal surgeon, you are not.

If he says no water, don't decide you know better because when it comes to anaethetising animals you are guessing blind.

Amazed and disappointed that anyone would think to contradict a professionals advice when it comes to surgery.

The same qualified professional didn't say that for the last two dogs we have taken there for neutering neither have other Vets we have used in the UK and Ireland and I don't want to distress the animal more than necessary.

The dog will get water up until he goes to bed at 10 am and I'll take the dogs water bowls out but we are going have to be very careful in the morning because the first thing all the dogs normally do is charge off down the field and into the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The same qualified professional didn't say that for the last two dogs we have taken there for neutering neither have other Vets we have used in the UK and Ireland and I don't want to distress the animal more than necessary.

The dog will get water up until he goes to bed at 10 am and I'll take the dogs water bowls out but we are going have to be very careful in the morning because the first thing all the dogs normally do is charge off down the field and into the river.

For the sake of your dog you should less weight on your anecdotal approach and more weight on the advice of a professional. Advice changes with experience.

Did you ask him why he gave you this advice or did you decide straight away to ignore him?

I find this attitude incredible.

I am pie wrote: »
    For the sake of your dog you should less weight on your anecdotal approach and more weight on the advice of a professional. Advice changes with experience.

Did you ask him why he gave you this advice or did you decide straight away to ignore him?

I find this attitude incredible.

Feel free.

first thing all the dogs normally do is charge off down the field and into the river.

My dog does the same thing so the morning of any procedures at the vet when he's going to be put under he's kept on the lead - simple as. It's not going to kill the dog to not drink or not go for a run in the morning...letting him drink could or in my case my dog eating bread/dumped food in the park (don't get me started :mad:) could cause problems when he's under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've always been told that you fast from 6pm the night before and can leave water over night, the vets I had placement in would leave water with the patient until sedated. But different vets would have different protocols so go with what your vet says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The vet I did placement with and worked for for a little while always said no food after 8pm but water can be left with the animal. Most places I've been in have said similar too. But different vets have different protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would say it also has an impact on abdominal surgery. A full bladder will obscure the uterus, for example. And it is a delicate organ, and you don't want to express it manually if you can help it. The other thing that can happen under anaesthetic is that the sphincter muscle relaxes, in which case the dog's pee/poop has now contaminated the sterile drapes protecting the surgical incision.

No water overnight is not going to hurt your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

If you make sure she pees before she goes in it should be fine though. Still, the vet knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

If its a female large breed dog no water means a that the bladder is less likely to be full and can make the operation easier as the uterus is less obstructed.

The main reason is always the risk of any contents of the stomach coming up during or after the anaesthetic and getting into the lungs....

Your vet may have had a reason for saying that restriction...why didnt you ask if you were not happy?

We usually ask for food restricted from 5 or 6 the evening before and water out before bed for preop and a walk and a pee before hand so they are comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

My vets always told me that before an anaesthetisation my cats have to be kept away from food for 10 to 12 hours and without water for 6 hours.
    But probably cats are different and have a faster digestive process.

Good luck with the doggies surgery and recovery btw! It's always terrible leaving them in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

please don't ignore your vets advice maybe they had a bad experience recently and have now decided no food no water is their new pre op policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭larchielads

my lab got neutered yesterday. the vet said no food or water after 9pm as the appointment was for 9a.m. next morning.

is it true that your dog will put on weight after being neutered as he wont have the drive/energy anymore. if this is true should i just ease back on the amount of food and keep him exercised??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You nailed it larchielads. No need for your dog to become overweight. And don't fall into the trap of indulging him and then putting it down to "ah sure, he's neutered, of course he's fat!" :D Yep, just watch his calorie intake and keep up the exercise. I didn't have to make any special effort to keep my girls' weight down after they were neutered. Just keep him active and be conscious of what he eats. Pop into the vets occasionally and put him on the scales. Especially important to keep on top of a Lab's weight - they are so foodie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭larchielads

thanks boomerang

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

When I got my dog neutered, I didnt give her food from 8pm the evening before, and no water the day of the surgery! Dont be naive, and just listen to what your vet has to say....unless you studied veterinary for 4 years too!! You will regret it if you ignore it and something happened to your dog! I know its not the same, but maybe it will put some sense into your thinking.....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056963401

Advertisement