Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city held to ransom

Options
  • 18-09-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

City Centre has been at a standstill for about 45 minutes now due to a sit down protest on oconnell bridge. A mix of anti austerity and IRA /sinn fein sympathisers.
    Cops just standing there watching.
    Hose the ****ers out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

rx8 wrote: »
    City Centre has been at a standstill for about minutes now due to a sit down protest on oconnell bridge. A mix of anti austerity and IRA /sinn fein sympathisers.

Stuck on a bus thanks to these ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Talk about alienating people. I just want to go home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Walk then,they have a right to protest.

My cousin is in there protesting about special needs cuts that affect her two autistic daughters,she is neither a IRA sympathiser or an anti-austerity loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Protesting outside the Dail = grand knock yourselves out, tis your democratic right and all.

Blocking O'Connell Bridge and preventing people from getting home = get up and away you bunch of traitorous fools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

My cousin is in there protesting about special needs cuts that affect her two autistic daughters,she is neither a IRA sympathiser or an anti-austerity loon.

They don't have a right to block the bridge. There are certain rules in place for how you can protest(e.g. throwing paint/eggs at a politician has gotten people arrested).

It also harms their cause. They will get negative PR from this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Yeah it's much better to do nothing...let the govt keep on raping the country sure as long as we get home for coronation st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

rx8 wrote: »
    City Centre has been at a standstill for about 45 minutes now due to a sit down protest on oconnell bridge. A mix of anti austerity and IRA /sinn fein sympathisers.

Are you a politician?
    If so they have managed to lock you out of your front room for a while, win, win for the crusties.

All is well now, they win, you lose, austerity is over. rejoice

if you are not a politician, then I suggest you get out of your car, go to the boot, remove your car jack and then proceed to the bridge and beat the living shte out of these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Its not the government raping the country its self centred idiots out to look after themselves. People refusing to pay their taxes meaning those that do have to pay the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Did anybody notice an influx of abandoned parked cars in the middle of roads today or was i just unlucky to walk past 3 abandoned cars? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Tis absolutely mental out there, took me over an hour to get from baggot street to harcourt street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Why are they not arresting these people? There's only about 5 people sitting on the ground, as said the rest are mostly bystanders. Of course they can protest, but how does this help Ireland and its economy? My apartment has a view on the bridge, looks like to want to make this Dublin's Tahrir square/Gehzi park :D

Twitter is going nuts in the meantime: https://twitter.com/search?q=o%27connell&src=typd&f=realtime

Right they are.. the traffic jam on the quays and surrounding areas is huge. Good luck if you're still trying to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Get real. So they have a right to protest, and screw everyone else? I have just as much of a right to not have to walk home as they have to sit on a bridge during rush hour.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The government should promise a full time job to everybody on the bridge at 7pm, that would clear them wasters off pretty F'ing quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The government should promise a full time job to everybody on the bridge at 7pm, that would clear them wasters off pretty F'ing quickly.

Then they'd protest that the jobs they were given weren't tax free.

chocksaway wrote: »
    Its not the government raping the country its self centred idiots out to look after themselves. People refusing to pay their taxes meaning those that do have to pay the price

Ah..I thought it was the Bank guarantee imposed by the govt following excessive speculation by wealthy property developers. ..

chopper6 wrote: »
    Ah..I thought it was the Bank guarantee imposed by the govt following excessive speculation by wealthy property developers. ..

Don't forget the people who bought houses they couldn't afford in the hope that it's value would increase, that's also speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Waiting on my bus for 45mins, move the f*ckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

EyeSight wrote: »
    They don't have a right to block the bridge. There are certain rules in place for how you can protest(e.g. throwing paint/eggs at a politician has gotten people arrested).

It also harms their cause. They will get negative PR from this

This could be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Don't forget the people who bought houses they couldn't afford in the hope that it's value would increase, that's also speculation.

This is the crux of the issue. People bought over priced houses they couldn't afford, companies closed for what ever reasons, people lost their jobs and defaulted on loans, banks went bust and now no one wanta to pick up the pieces. Everyone says its someone else's fault.

The ones who now want the taxpayer to pick up the tab for thier foolishness?
    I love this country...we blew up a bubble and called it a boom,payed back the bond holders out of our own pockets and have been subjected to pay cuts and tax increases without raising a voice in protest. Then when anybody dares to try and highlight issues by protesting the 'me feiners' are calling for them to be baton charged off the streets so as not to interfere with' their' schedule....we're like lobsters pulling each other back into the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Protest is moving on now, they're walking towards Trinity. No sit-in at O'Connell Bridge anymore.

The ones who now want the taxpayer to pick up the tab for thier foolishness?
    I love this country...we blew up a bubble and called it a boom,payed back the bond holders out of our own pockets and have been subjected to pay cuts and tax increases without raising a voice in protest. Then when anybody dares to try and highlight issues by protesting the 'me feiners' are calling for them to be baton charged off the streets so as not to interfere with' their' schedule....we're like lobsters pulling each other back into the pot.

We don't need a bunch of clowns sitting on O'Connell bridge to tell us the country is in trouble. Right or wrong, we are in a tough financial position now, the only way out is grow the economy and pay our debt. These people don't have any solutions, they just want to complain about the problems, meanwhile the people who are solving the problem by working and paying taxes are the only people to suffer from this protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah it's much better to do nothing...let the govt keep on raping the country sure as long as we get home for coronation st.

The choice isn't between doing nothing or blocking O'Connell Bridge.

Protesting is fine. I'm all for it. Yes we should make our voices heard but doing it where they've chosen to do it is stupid. It's affecting the ordinary working people who are just trying to get home after a day's work. Do you think there's a politician sitting on the 46a now thinking, "Oh no! I better change that austerity plan!"

They're actually irritating and inconveniencing the people they're supposed to be protesting on behalf of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Pepper spray the lot of them and if any want to stay after that.....release the hounds!

release_the_hounds.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are there helicopters buzzing overhead watching them? I'm sitting in the main library and was fancying I could hear some ...

Mmm ... might stay a bit longer now I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

4utwZ.png

Some enterprise coming as a result of this farce I guess...

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The choice isn't between doing nothing or blocking O'Connell Bridge.

Protesting is fine. I'm all for it. Yes we should make our voices heard but doing it where they've chosen to do it is stupid. It's affecting the ordinary working people who are just trying to get home after a day's work. Do you think there's a politician sitting on the 46a now thinking, "Oh no! I better change that austerity plan!"

They're actually irritating and inconveniencing the people they're supposed to be protesting on behalf of.

So in your opinion it's better to do nothing? You think being delayed for half an hour on the bus is worse than paying taxes to support non working people,bank shareholders,politicians fat salaries and nearly a billion in ' overseas' aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

They made me late earlier. They can **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Is it still impossible to get through the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Any pics? Nothing coming up on Twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement