Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city held to ransom

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

chopper6 wrote: »
    So in your opinion it's better to do nothing? You think being delayed for half an hour on the bus is worse than paying taxes to support non working people,bank shareholders,politicians fat salaries and nearly a billion in ' overseas' aid?

It is better to do nothing. Unless the protesters have a viable solution to put forward, all they are doing is making the problem worse, blocking one of our busiest streets slows the economy and costs a fortune to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

So in your opinion it's better to do nothing? You think being delayed for half an hour on the bus is worse than paying taxes to support non working people,bank shareholders,politicians fat salaries and nearly a billion in ' overseas' aid?

So you're saying that tomorrow all is gonna be good and we can spend to our hearts content?

Get real.

How much is this going to cost the taxpayer today - extra garda resources, lost taxes, hiring of barricades, etc.

Whether we bailed the banks or not, we're spending more than we earn. Not sustainable. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Did you read what I said?

You're making it out like the only two choices are DO NOTHING or BLOCK O'CONNELL BRIDGE.

You do realise there's plenty of other places in the city to protest at, plenty of more significant and apt places that will still get attention and won't p*ss off the working people of the city don't you? :rolleyes:

It's not the protesting that's p*ssing people off - it's the location of the protesting.

This standard response of "Oh it's better to do nothing then is it? That's why the country is in the state it's in." is lazy, boring and to be honest completely stupid in a black-and-white juvenile way. Just because you're protesting for something good doesn't mean you have the right to do it wherever you want at whatever time you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Uriel. wrote: »
    So you're saying that tomorrow all is gonna be good and we can spend to our hearts content?

Get real.

How much is this going to cost the taxpayer today - extra garda resources, lost taxes, hiring of barricades, etc.

Whether we bailed the banks or not, we're spending more than we earn. Not sustainable. End of story.

So...it's better to do nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

P_1 wrote: »
    4utwZ.png

Some enterprise coming as a result of this farce I guess...

Pretty smart going on their behalf!
    Hell, I'd nearly go in to town for the 10% off!!!

So...it's better to do nothing?

Honestly, if the choices are this farce today or maintain the status quo... Then it's an obvious answer.

But as you rightly know, they aren't the only options available.

How about some of these fnucks put together a policy book on viable alternatives so that people can get behind it?

No they won't do that because they're only answer is burn everyone, tax the rich and give more to to the scrotes.

Dilusional stuff

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Did you read what I said?

You're making it out like the only two choices are DO NOTHING or BLOCK O'CONNELL BRIDGE.

You do realise there's plenty of other places in the city to protest at, plenty of more significant and apt places that will still get attention and won't p*ss off the working people of the city don't you? :rolleyes:
    See people like you whinging that you've been inconvenienced on a public board means the protest had some effect.
    Why should everybody wave placards at the entrance to govt house? That's old hat and nobody takes any notice.
    Might I remind you that the Easter rising was largely unpopular with the citizenry as it stopped them going about their business and many of them were of a similar opinion to you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

See people like you whinging that you've been inconvenienced on a public board means the protest had some effect.
    Why should everybody wave placards at the entrance to govt house? That's old hat and nobody takes any notice.
    Might I remind you that the Easter rising was largely unpopular with the citizenry as it stopped them going about their business and many of them were of a similar opinion to you...

Had an affect, but one that misses the bloody point.

I'm not inconvenienced at all. I'm not trying to get home right now.

And I'm not saying it didn't have an effect. It clearly has. The effect is that they've p*ssed off half the city.

But they've p*ssed off the people who have no control over the things they're protesting about. There's members of the government over in the Merrion hotel right now probably having a laugh about the f*cking eejits stopping the regular working stiffs from getting home after a hard day's slog. Those laughing c*nts in the Merrion are the people they should be inconveniencing - not the poor sods who are working hard every day to try and pay their way and raise their families.

I'm just pointing out that your 'it's do nothing or do exactly this' attitude is hugely flawed and juvenilely black and white.

At least they had a plan in place and they started it on a holiday weekend not at rush hour on a weekday! :pac:

• Advertisement

Had an affect, but one that misses the bloody point.

Which us what? Others have made our bed for us and we should just bloody well lie in it?

There was purpose to the Easter rising, they had a goal, something they were working towards. They didn't just block the place up and shout "Brits Out", which is basically what these protesters are doing. Voicing their displeasure, without any type of coherent plan, or viable alternative.

Which us what? Others have made our bed for us and we should just bloody well lie in it?

If these gob****es had popular support, there'd be a bigger turn out.

Amongst the other crazy sh1te it's simply an attempt to protect the welfare setup that allows people to do **** all and blame everyone else for making them do something

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

The comments on this thread are disgraceful, you lot sound like a right bunch of idiots and are self centred gits. Open your eyes yeas fools, they have every right to protest.
    Countries all over this earth are in tatters because of Governments that manipulate the people and have turned them into slaves.
    The person that has opened this thread is an outright eejit.
    Slaves to the multinationals and when they have had their fill they will pack up and leave, then what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its very hard to say. All they apparently did was block the road. All people are talking about, is them blocking the road. What were they protesting, roads? :confused:

If you think that's a bit of a brash and ignorant comment for me to make, well you'll be on target there with that. Because I've no idea what they were protesting against. What their agenda is. No one is talking about the specifics of their cause.

That's what I meant by "missing the bloody point." Their protest is ineffective as such, other than being disruptive.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    There was purpose to the Easter rising, they had a goal, something they were working towards. They didn't just block the place up and shout "Brits Out", which is basically what these protesters are doing. Voicing their displeasure, without any type of coherent plan, or viable alternative.
    I think the 'goal' of today's protest was to let people know that not everybody is so concerned about themselves that they'll allow the govt to do what it likes. It seems to me that the culture of ' I'm alright jack' is alive and well with a good dose of 'keep yer head down,toe the line' thrown in.

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Open your eyes yeas fools, they have every right to protest.

Of course they do. But it's the stupid place they've chosen that's p*ssed everyone off.

The comments on this thread are disgraceful, you lot sound like a right bunch of idiots and are self centred gits. Open your eyes yeas fools, they have every right to protest.
    Countries all over this earth are in tatters because of Governments that manipulate the people and have turned them into slaves.
    Slaves to the multinationals and when they have had their fill they will pack up and leave, then what?

That's a ridiculous argument, the right to protest doesn't give you carte blanche to do what you want. What mutlinationals are you talking about? You have a tin foil hat on, don't you?

The person that has opened this thread is an outright eejit. H

Perhaps you'd rather be on the dole.?
    You'd swear things were so bad in this country.

I think the 'goal' of today's protest was to let people know that not everybody is so concerned about themselves that they'll allow the govt to do what it likes.

The protest did that very well all day. Why the need to block O'Connell Bridge to end it all?

It's the "I have to be noticed but have no useful suggestions myself" attitude of those few protestors (not the majority mind) who blocked the bridge that has rightfully drawn the ire of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

But the country is more or less doing fine as far as I can tell. I and everyone I know have a warm house, good food, some disposable income. Most people are generally content. Sure we grumble about the increased taxation, rising rents and various social problems, but there is no stomach for protest. The vast vast majority of people are comfortable, and they have every right to be. They do not deserve to be disrupted by overreacting protesters who seem to think the country is some kind of wasteland, when it very clearly isn't.

I think the 'goal' of today's protest was to let people know that not everybody is so concerned about themselves that they'll allow the govt to do what it likes. It seems to me that the culture of ' I'm alright jack' is alive and well with a good dose of 'keep yer head down,toe the line' thrown in.

No it was to disrupt and have a row.

That's clear to see with the type of people in attendance, the type of banners, the behaviour, the complete magic box of crazies getting a chance at the microphone and most of all the complete lack of a book of realistic alternatives.

The message for the general population received is likely to be, another bunch of hippies /crusties doing nothing but causing trouble and costing money

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The protest did that very well all day. Why the need to block O'Connell Bridge to end it all?

It's the "I have to be noticed but have no useful suggestions myself" attitude of those few protestors (not the majority mind) who blocked the bridge that has rightfully drawn the ire of people.

Drawn the ire of self-centred moaners...if that's the only outcome of the protest then it has at least shown up Irish people for what they've become.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Yeas pack of turncoats.......
    Yeas mustn't have a clue What's going on.
    And as for your remark Nino Brown! ! You must have ear plugs in your ears and a blindfold over your eyes you eejit.
    Pathetic the lot of yeas...
    Should be ashamed of yourselves.

Drawn the ire of self-centred moaners...if that's the only outcome of the protest then it has at least shown up Irish people for what they've become.

You've failed to address any of the points I've raised.

Is it true that the "flouride is a mind control substance" people were also part of this protest today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

And as for your remark Nino Brown! ! You must have ear plugs in your ears and a blindfold over your eyes you eejit.

Well unfortunately our views represent the majority of people in this country, not yours. You can't have a popular revolution if the public does not actually want it. Accept that.

Sorry man, it's not my fault, the western media have me brainwashed, I'm a puppet to the illuminati now, waiting patiently for the new world order.

Well there's a measured and well thought out argument.

Thanks for taking part. Your contribution has really been worth while and informative.

Just spouting abuse at people is helping how, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ashamed to see the scum grinding a city to a halt, ashamed to see them stopping hard working taxpayers from going home after working all day to pay these scumbags dole, ashamed to see the behavior of these lowlifes.

Everyone of them should have been pepper sprayed, dragged off to jail and kept there for a week. I would also like to see the social welfare investigate these scum and dock them a days dole, if you are out protesting then you are not looking for work.

• Advertisement

So the Irish people are wrong and the 0.004% of the population causing trouble out there are right?

Suuuure...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement