Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city held to ransom

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You've failed to address any of the points I've raised.

Is it true that the "flouride is a mind control substance" people were also part of this protest today?

What's fluoride got to do with anything?
    Anyway,never mind...you did *your* part...you moaned on the Internet and denigrated a bunch of people who bothered to do more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Uriel. wrote: »
    So the Irish people are wrong and the 0.004% of the population causing trouble out there are right?

Suuuure...

Lets see some stats to back that up...causing trouble now is it?
    I suppose people are happy as long as they have super fast broadband and sky tv to watch...to hell with everybody else,pull the ladder up.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

You all sound like a bunch of right wing selfcentred capitalist twats.
    Slaves to a system that does not work.
    Im all right Jack feck the rest of yeas attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

They could of done it on a night with no champions league. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

chopper6 wrote: »
    What's fluoride got to do with anything?

I'm just asking because I read people saying that the anti-fluoride brigade were on the mic at the protest earlier. I was just wondering if they were part of the blocking of the bridge too. Because if someone was blocking my route home to give out about something as frivolous as fluoride I would be most certainly very very unhappy.
    Anyway,never mind...you did *your* part...you moaned on the Internet and denigrated a bunch of people who bothered to do more.

I've protested plenty in my time buddy, I just don't block important bridges at rush hour while I do it.

I have nothing against anyone who was at the protests today - only the people who blocked the bridge.

And for the record at the moment I'm at work - earning a living to pay for the mistakes of the f*cking eejits who ran this place into the ground.

I work hard. Very hard. I wonder can the lads lying down on O'Connell Bridge all say the same?

And why aren't you out there with them if they're such heroes of the nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

good to see a form of protest that actually works been used..irish people dont know how to protest properly. take a look at previous protest's where they basically turned them into big concerts where everyone was Shepperd off to a near by park....and nothing came of that....the only way protest works properly is to disrupt the traffic...compare our usual protest's to those in france where traffic is disrupted and the country is put into lock down..... they usually get the results they want and the politicians listen to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I suppose people are happy as long as they have super fast broadband and sky tv to watch...to hell with everybody else,pull the ladder up.

Ask yourself this...why was it such a bad turnout? Maybe the MAJORITY of people are not as bothered as the couple of hundred that turned up today. Here's a hint....they don't speak for the majority of the Irish people. They claim they do but they don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I'm sure the folk who want these peaceful protesters pepper sprayed and carted off to jail will still be singing from the same hymn sheet when they lose their job and are stuck on the dole like all these protesting 'wasters',or when their child is denied the services of a special needs teacher thanks to our wonderful government.

...they usually get the results they want and the politicians listen to them

As a matter of interest what exactly did the guys on the bridge want? It didn't seem clear at all.

I was in the middle of it. I loved when the guy shouted "What do we want" and somebody shouted "Grand Theft Auto 5" "And when do we want it ?" NOW !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

IrlMonk infracted, do not post in this thread again

I was in the middle of it. I loved when the guy shouted "What do we want" and somebody shouted "Grand Theft Auto 5" "And when do we want it ?" NOW !

You were on the bridge?

What did they want?

I mean can someone boil it down to one concise sentence?

As a matter of interest what exactly did the guys on the bridge want? It didn't seem clear at all.

an end to austerity....and end to corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

@bumper
    The majority of this country have blinkers on. They are unaware of how they are been manipulated. In time the tide will turn once again. It will happen, and your children will be thankful that we stood up to these kind of people.

an end to austerity....and end to corruption

But had no solution on how to achieve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

stats to back what up? the percentage of people protesting today in comparison to the population. you dont need to be a genius to worth that out.

actually it's not to hell with everybody else, when the significant majority don;t support or at least show indifference to some sort of ill thought out, achieve nothing protest, it's the" to hell with everyone" attitude of the minority that is displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Why did the gardai not intervene? Did they really just stand by and let the city come to a standstill. Very poor if they did.
    Can anyone who was there confirm what the gardai did, and how long did they wait before they intervened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

IrlMonk wrote: »
    @bumper
    The majority of this country have blinkers on. They are unaware of how they are been manipulated. In time the tide will turn once again. It will happen, and your children will be thankful that we stood up to these kind of people.

so in the grand scheme of things a handful people "know" and are "right" everyone else is wrong??? yep, sounds legit:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm sure the folk who want these peaceful protesters pepper sprayed and carted off to jail will still be singing from the same hymn sheet when they lose their job and are stuck on the dole like all these protesting 'wasters',or when their child is denied the services of a special needs teacher thanks to our wonderful government.

The dole costs money, teachers cost money, money we don't have. If people want to protest, fine, but it achieves nothing unless they have a plan. We would all like more gardai, teachers, better roads, better healthcare, but protesting won't pay for them. Its not that nobody cares, but most people seem to have better handle on basic maths that others. We can't spend what we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

You were on the bridge?

What did they want?

I mean can someone boil it down to one concise sentence?

Apart from a good slap??

I was there for over an hour waiting for a bus and to be honest I'm still not sure what they were protesting. At one stage it looked like a secondary school tour that got lost as the average age seemed to be about twelve.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    so in the grand scheme of things a handful people "know" and are "right" everyone else is wrong??? yep, sounds legit:rolleyes:

We would be lost without them :rolleyes:

bumper234 wrote: »
    But had no solution on how to achieve this.

did you not hear them chanting enda enda enda out out out?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Sounds about right. Nothing better to be doing with themselves than disrupting the working public.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

IrlMonk wrote: »
    You all sound like a bunch of right wing selfcentred capitalist twats.
    Slaves to a system that does not work.
    Im all right Jack feck the rest of yeas attitude.

The system probably works more / slightly better than those attention seekers blocking the public highway. Pity it didn't rain, a few of them looked like they could do with a wash.

Sounds about right. Nothing better to be doing with themselves than disrupting the working public.

But they were doing it for our own good....they had to drag themselves off the sofa for this you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

OK The "professional protestors" always seem to dodge this issue like a fat kid dodges lettuce, so I'll say it nice and loud.

If austerity doesn't work, WHAT'S YOUR REALISTIC ALTERNATIVE?

All I ever see you Shinners & Crusties doing is this

MajorMax wrote: »
    OK The "professional protestors" always seem to dodge this issue like a fat kid dodges lettuce, so I'll say it nice and loud.

If austerity doesn't work, WHAT'S YOUR REALISTIC ALTERNATIVE?

All I ever see you Shinners & Crusties doing is this

and all you fianna failers and blue shirts do is cut and tax..there is only going to be one way of returning to growth and thats by spending....that isnt going to happen if the cuts and taxes continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

and all you fianna failers and blue shirts do is cut and tax..there is only going to be one way of returning to growth and thats by spending....that isnt going to happen if the cuts and taxes continue.

I am no Fianna FAILer or a Blueshirt, nice attempt at misdirection there, if you're not with me, you're against me is a very simplistic mindset, but I did ask for a realistic alternative, you can't spend if you've no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

More spending like we had under the FF government during the Celtic tiger years? That's a great idea, bound to be a success, sign me up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Spending what? We can't print money. If we were to borrow to fund a spending spree our bond yeilds would soar and our debt would start to increase exponentially. If we could have borrowed on the bond market we wouldn't have needed to be bailed out in the first place. So what are we supposed to spend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement