Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill servicing

Options
  • 18-09-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I have a treadmill in my house which I've been using for the last 18 months several times a week. I've been doing the basic lubricating and cleaning of the belt, but I suspect it could do with a more thorough service at this stage. Despite tightening, the belt still goes through a phase at the start of a run of moving slightly forward at each step, it takes a couple of minutes of running on it at 12kph before it stops.

However I'm not sure how you go about getting this done (taking into account I'm not convinced about taking it apart and servicing it myself), or who to contact. Anyone had reason to do this previously? I'm in the Wexford area if anyone can be that specific :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I have a treadmill in my house which I've been using for the last 18 months several times a week. I've been doing the basic lubricating and cleaning of the belt, but I suspect it could do with a more thorough service at this stage. Despite tightening, the belt still goes through a phase at the start of a run of moving slightly forward at each step, it takes a couple of minutes of running on it at 12kph before it stops.

However I'm not sure how you go about getting this done (taking into account I'm not convinced about taking it apart and servicing it myself), or who to contact. Anyone had reason to do this previously? I'm in the Wexford area if anyone can be that specific :)

Depending on the model you should have 2 tightening bolts at the rear of the treadmill. These are used for alignment and to remove the rear roller.
    It sounds like your belt has just loosened over time and you need to increase the distance between both rollers, i.e. loosen the bolts.
    Do this 1 quarter of a turn at a time on both bolts, hop on the treadie and then repeat until there's no slippage.
    Worth doing before requesting a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Thanks Beep beep. That would suggest I've just been doing the basic bit wrong all this time. I've been using the left bolt to square the belt, but I've been tightening both in an attempt to prevent slippage. Which would probably explain why its not been working well! I'll loosen them a bit and see what that does.

Is there a kind of rule of thumb as to when a mill should get a more thorough look over (if at all)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Is there a kind of rule of thumb as to when a mill should get a more thorough look over (if at all)?

Not unless it breaks (IMO), lube the belt regularly, grease the rollers once a year.

Advertisement