Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie access in Dublin Public Library

Options
  • 18-09-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm sitting in the main public library, using my laptop to do some stuff, connected via their wi-fi.

Tried to check boards.ie, and found it was blocked by their security policy.

Luckily I had my mobile broadband dongle, so go in that way.

But is it always like this? Have people protested? They had no problems letting me in to Facebook and other timewasters. And I'm sure I've looked at boards in here before.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not really a Dublin City forum issue so moved to Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Never had a problem in my local library, West Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

what library? Did the block message say what system they use and what the block criteria was? And did you ask the staff about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Orion wrote: »
    what library? Did the block message say what system they use and what the block criteria was? And did you ask the staff about it?

The central branch, in the Ilac centre.

I didn't note down the message, didn't really think about the significance of it immediately. There was something about trying to access a site that violates our policies and click here to request a review.

And no I did not leave my stuff unattended in order to go an find a staff member - kinda guessing that it would be a challenge to find the one person who was clued up about their wireless, esp at 7pm in the evening.

I figure it's more an issue for Dublin people who are genuine library members to complain about, rather than a culchie (sic) who's some up for the day to consult some reference books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

tbh i'd say the staff wouldnt be able to help ,the IT would be managed offsite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Boards is flagged as a mature content website. I've had to get the filter taken off from my phone provider a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Boards is blocked in DCC libraries. But facebook and twitter isn't. But I have noticed twitter has a lot of nsfw pics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hfallada wrote: »
    Boards is blocked in DCC libraries. But facebook and twitter isn't. But I have noticed twitter has a lot of nsfw pics

My post above is the reason why. Neither facebook nor twitter were blocked for me. But boards was and the reason, was for it being classified as mature content.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems abit crazy that boards.ie is blocked and facebook and twitter aren't, especially when you consider boards is a moderated site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Cabaal wrote: »
    Seems abit crazy that boards.ie is blocked and facebook and twitter aren't, especially when you consider boards is a moderated site

Happens in my place of work too, youtube, facebook, twitter and boards are blocked because of "traffic" that's what we are told anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Happens in my place of work too, youtube, facebook, twitter and boards are blocked because of "traffic" that's what we are told anyway.

I imagine your user name sums up exactly why the site is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boards is part of for instance OpenDNS's "Social/Forums" policy so if the library use that it will block every social site and many know internet forums.
    They probably don't want people using up bandwidth with facebook/youtube/chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I remember having this problem in a Dublin library I popped into one time, and the problem wasn't that www.boards.ie was blocked, it was that boards.ie (without the www) was blocked, or something like that.

This makes no sense to me, not knowing anything about technology, but apparently that was the problem (if I am remembering correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could it have been the other way around?
    boards.ie and www.boards.ie are actually two different things.

Most often blockers make the mistake of blocking www.something.com but forget to also block just something.com
    It really depends on how the blocking was set up but I doubt librarians would have the know-how, they probably would use some standard filter in the router.

Read more here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/URLs_with_or_without_www

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I was pretty sure it was just boards.ie that wasn't working (because that's the way I tend to enter it) but yes it could have been the other way around; maybe someone who uses the library regularly can check that out.

Advertisement