Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stock Markets

• 18-09-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

So i'm just after unlocking trevor but i cant get my head around the stocks, i understand how they work but how do they work in los santos?

Is there any way to guarantee that i'm going to get a payout?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

CMpunked wrote: »
    So i'm just after unlocking trevor but i cant get my head around the stocks, i understand how they work but how do they work in los santos?

Is there any way to guarantee that i'm going to get a payout?

You'll do some
    assassination
    missions for Lester
    in a bit and he'll tell you that the rival company will do well in shares because of it. Go in and buy a load of stocks in that company, carry out the assassination and wait a bit afterwards. Profit! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

DarkJager wrote: »
    You'll do some
    assassination
    missions for Lester
    in a bit and he'll tell you that the rival company will do well in shares because of it. Go in and buy a load of stocks in that company, carry out the assassination and wait a bit afterwards. Profit! :D

I edited your post to give an idea what you were spoilering, hope you dont mind.

But there are so many different stocks, is there any outside of missions things that can be done?

I heard someone say you could buy them in a certain car company and then go around blowing up other cars, raising the value?
    Has anyone done anything like this yet?

I edited your post to give an idea what you were spoilering, hope you dont mind.

But there are so many different stocks, is there any outside of missions things that can be done?

I heard someone say you could buy them in a certain car company and then go around blowing up other cars, raising the value?

Haven't done that yet but I have bought stocks in companies with a decent rise in share price (you'll see this as a green up arrow and percentage beside it on the stocks screen). Returns have generally been good on ones showing 10% upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Do the shares in LifeInvader go up after
    the assassination mission for Lester?

Any tips on quick money in them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Do the shares in LifeInvader go up after
    the assassination mission for Lester?

Any tips on quick money in them?

nope they go doooooooooooooooooooown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Soby wrote: »
    nope they go doooooooooooooooooooown

I bought them at $6.18 a share afterwards thinking they might go up a bit after a while so not too much to be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I bought the shares that had dropped in price the most, thinking they can't get much worse. Eventually they will turn around. Hopefully I'm right as I spent nearly all of Michaels money on them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Buy stocks in a car company and target THEIR cars. Made about $30K on top of my investment after blowing up about 6/7 cars.

After a conversation with a friend earlier, I've come to the following conclusion:

* customer has car blown up
    * customer replaces car either buying it new again/insurance replacing it
    * sale = profit for car company
    * profit raises stock price

All equates to a profit on your stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Buy stocks in a car company and target THEIR cars. Made about $30K on top of my investment after blowing up about 6/7 cars.

After a conversation with a friend earlier, I've come to the following conclusion:

* customer has car blown up
    * customer replaces car either buying it new again/insurance replacing it
    * sale = profit for car company
    * profit raises stock price

All equates to a profit on your stock.

The car stocks are all on the BAWSAQ which is the online driven one so it's down to what the whole of the GTA V users are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So I'm doing the first Lester
    assassination mission with franklin
    , he's some guy from a hotel, should I buy some stocks from whatever company he is from?
    I don't think I heard him mention a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

First think I did after the cut scene was look for
    Beta Pharmaceuticals
    but they weren't listed.

General strategy I'm employing applies to real life - hedge your bets. No CGT in GTA...I wish that was the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So I'm doing the first Lester
    assassination mission with franklin
    , he's some guy from a hotel, should I buy some stocks from whatever company he is from?
    I don't think I heard him mention a company.

He mentions 2 companies. The first one is the company the guy you're killing works for. Avoid those altogether. If you've already invested in those, sell them immediately. Even if you lose money.

The second company is the one that Lester will say he has a special interest in. Pile all your money into that company.

These are just some of those that I remember popping up on the LCN market:

Debonaire
    GoldCoast

There's also 1 or 2 on the BAWSAQ market but can only remember Vapid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Where do you actually invest in the stocks? cCan't find it on the map.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Where do you actually invest in the stocks? cCan't find it on the map.

You'll get an email with the link to the site or you can also access it through the Internet on the phone. Not sure if you can actually do anything on it until you get that email from Lester though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya know those blue dot random events that pop up? Well driving along I got one, decided to see what it was about, some dude robbed another guys bike so I ram him return bike and got no reward.

A few hours later I get an email from the guy I returned the bike to and he'd given me 100K worth of shares in his company, result.

I'm not sure where the event was but I was playing as Michael at the time, when I get home I'll let ye know what company it was, email said he was a rich e-billionaire or some such, I still have the shares, think theyve marginally risen in value to about 101k if I sell them.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya know those blue dot random events that pop up? Well driving along I got one, decided to see what it was about, some dude robbed another guys bike so I ram him return bike and got no reward.

A few hours later I get an email from the guy I returned the bike to and he'd given me 100K worth of shares in his company, result.

I'm not sure where the event was but I was playing as Michael at the time, when I get home I'll let ye know what company it was, email said he was a rich e-billionaire or some such, I still have the shares, think theyve marginally risen in value to about 101k if I sell them.

Oh no...I had the same encounter but couldn't chase the bike as I was on foot and ended up knocking the guy out on the side of the street :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    Oh no...I had the same encounter but couldn't chase the bike as I was on foot and ended up knocking the guy out on the side of the street :D

After the
    Jewellery store heist
    it provided a nice earner in my bank account actually.

I've also invested a few quid in Lifeinvader on the off chance that the shares go back up eventually. :pac:

It's best to only store excess cash in BAWSAQ, vapid, brute, amunation.

Vapid make the police cars and brute make a lot of buses and SUVs that get, both of which players blow up a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Great... Now I'm stopping and doing every bloody random event. :pac:

I'll let ye know the name of the company once I get home, it was just by chance I stopped as I've skipped the majority of them actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Varik wrote: »
    It's best to only store excess cash in BAWSAQ, vapid, brute, amunation.

Vapid make the police cars and brute make a lot of buses and SUVs that get, both of which players blow up a lot.
    If the BAWSAQ is user driven, would that not mean that Rockstar will have to artificially force down share prices since everyone will be destroying police cars and as such, the shares of Vapid would always be going up and never dropping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For Lesters missions, the important thing is to listen carefully to what he says. On the last two of his missions I couldn't figure out what company I was meant to invest in, and that was when I had a good bit of money I could have invested and make a good return on.

Can you see what he says in the brief if you pause the game and check from there?

I'm only a couple of hours in so I dont have that much money to invest at the moment but its something I'll look out for when the next one comes up.

On the markets, I dont think those shares would rise to much would they? The world is so diverse and every players action in it differently that some people wont go around blowing up cops cars and the like. I wouldnt use it anyway to make money, to much hassle to blow up cop cars and then try and evade them for a few mins that I dont think it would be worth the return.

Can you see what he says in the brief if you pause the game and check from there?

I'm only a couple of hours in so I dont have that much money to invest at the moment but its something I'll look out for when the next one comes up.

On the markets, I dont think those shares would rise to much would they? The world is so diverse and every players action in it differently that some people wont go around blowing up cops cars and the like. I wouldnt use it anyway to make money, to much hassle to blow up cop cars and then try and evade them for a few mins that I dont think it would be worth the return.
    But you'd just have to invest in the cop car company early on and then play the missions as normal. You and every other player will be blowing up loads of cars just to get through them.

humanji wrote: »
    But you'd just have to invest in the cop car company early on and then play the missions as normal. You and every other player will be blowing up loads of cars just to get through them.

This is very true alright but is the market specific to your game our is it live according to R* and what goes on in the GTA world in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is very true alright but is the market specific to your game our is it live according to R* and what goes on in the GTA world in general?

The Basdaq ones are connected to R* and will mostly be effected by online. You can only connect to Basdaq ones when you're signed in (I was playing with no Internet yesterday and wondering why I couldn't check the Basdaq ones)

So I just bought a couple of million dollars worth of shares in Ammunation and Los Santos Customs, as I figure they'll be used a lot when online kicks in in two weeks. Just figured I'd buy them now and hopefully make a huge profit in a few weeks. Even if I only make 35% profit, I'll still get a few million for single player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Penn wrote: »
    The Basdaq ones are connected to R* and will mostly be effected by online. You can only connect to Basdaq ones when you're signed in (I was playing with no Internet yesterday and wondering why I couldn't check the Basdaq ones)

So I just bought a couple of million dollars worth of shares in Ammunation and Los Santos Customs, as I figure they'll be used a lot when online kicks in in two weeks. Just figured I'd buy them now and hopefully make a huge profit in a few weeks. Even if I only make 35% profit, I'll still get a few million for single player

Shares bought in SP will be affected by MP ye ?

humanji wrote: »
    If the BAWSAQ is user driven, would that not mean that Rockstar will have to artificially force down share prices since everyone will be destroying police cars and as such, the shares of Vapid would always be going up and never dropping?

The price only goes up if the destruction is increasing, to drive the price up compared to yesterday you'd need to destroy more cars than yesterday.

If a company's profits go up then they're share price goes up but if it's constant then they won't change much and may go down.

The guy who I saved earlier was the owner/CEO of Animal Ark, I'm sure if you meet certain criteria he'll pop up.

I was playing as Michael and it was evening/night time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

On my first assanation mission I made 700k+ profit on Michael from the stock market. 150k + on Franklin and Trevor. A lot of money to be made if you play it right

Hareton wrote: »
    On my first assanation mission I made 700k+ profit on Michael from the stock market. 150k + on Franklin and Trevor. A lot of money to be made if you play it right

I'll be doing that anyway for the next one that pops up anyway, make sure everyone invests in the rival company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

so with the assisinations, i did my 2nd one where i had to kill
    jurors for redwood
    and lester said Deb cigarettes stock would rise after it so I put 15k into it. It has risen but should I wait a certain amount of time before selling? Also, when I was given the mission, I had 5 minutes to do it, no way had time to change to mike and trevor to invest as well.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    jurors for redwood
    and lester said Deb cigarettes stock would rise after it so I put 15k into it. It has risen but should I wait a certain amount of time before selling? Also, when I was given the mission, I had 5 minutes to do it, no way had time to change to mike and trevor to invest as well.
    You could change person, buy the stock and then let yourself fail, giving you plenty of time to do it again when you replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

sheehy83 wrote: »
    jurors for redwood

It can take nearly 20 mins for stock prices to rise fully. The seem to top out up in the 80% range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hareton wrote: »
    It can take nearly 20 mins for stock prices to rise fully. The seem to top out up in the 80% range

Cool, mine went to about 80% alright, must cash in and look up the next assassination so I can invest early.

• Advertisement

Ya I sold my shares after the 2nd assassination when they got to nearly 70% ^ good idea on getting in early actually. :pac:

It's not always the case but investing in the company who share price you lowered when the bottom out is also good.

I've invested in LifeInvader but theres been no upward movement so far in its price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've invested in LifeInvader but theres been no upward movement so far in its price.

I think everyone has!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

On one of the random events, someones bike got robbed so I got it back for him but got nothing back for it, stingy ba**ard i thought :P Two days later I get a text off him saying hes a really rich man who owns a organic pet food company and gave me 100,000 dollars worth of shares in it haha :D Havent risen one bit, theyve just went down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    On one of the random events, someones bike got robbed so I got it back for him but got nothing back for it, stingy ba**ard i thought :P Two days later I get a text off him saying hes a really rich man who owns a organic pet food company and gave me 100,000 dollars worth of shares in it haha :D Havent risen one bit, theyve just went down.

Push bike or motor bike? I got both today, push bike got stuck so I couldn't get it back, motor bike got away when I went off the overpass trying to weave in and out of cars too quickly :pac:

Getting tired of trying to play the stocks.

I invested in Lotter beer (LCN) and then proceed to blow up a lot of their competition, nothing much happened to the price and now it's falling to a new record low; I can't actually afford to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

None of my stock purchases seem to be rewarding either - very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Push bike or motor bike? I got both today, push bike got stuck so I couldn't get it back, motor bike got away when I went off the overpass trying to weave in and out of cars too quickly :pac:
    Push bike :p
    Loving the random events, walked into suburban yesterday and it was getting held up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Varik wrote: »
    Getting tired of trying to play the stocks.

I invested in Lotter beer (LCN) and then proceed to blow up a lot of their competition, nothing much happened to the price and now it's falling to a new record low; I can't actually afford to sell.

I thought when it comes to the likes of car companies, it's better to blow up your own cars so people get insurance money and buy more of them?

Haven't tried it yet, but I definitely remember hearing something along the lines of that.

Also, it may be a good idea to finish the story before trying the assassination missions, so you have plenty of money to invest.

Jamez735 wrote: »
    I thought when it comes to the likes of car companies, it's better to blow up your own cars so people get insurance money and buy more of them?

Haven't tried it yet, but I definitely remember hearing something along the lines of that.

Also, it may be a good idea to finish the story before trying the assassination missions, so you have plenty of money to invest.

For cars it's meant to be but for other companies the common idea is to blow up the competition, I might try it the other way soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I'm gonna do a test later. I'm gonna invest in the taco company and the blow up all the trucks for clucking bell to see how it affects the stock prices

I'm after doing a random event where a guy gave me a stock tip - for the BAWSAQ market which is supposedly independent of in game events!

Are Rockstar controlling both markets now?

Strangely enough, the BAWSAQ seems to be down at the moment too.

Ugh BAWSAQ is officially down so I can't make a profit on the first assassination mission, and it won't let me do the 3rd heist until I've finished the assassinations! :(

However, once it's up and running again, ...given that loads of people will be receiving the same stock tips from random events, and the same companies stocks will rise from assassinations, that means that
    beta pharmaceuticals and Tinkle Telecom
    as well as a few others will constantly be rising because everyone will be doing assassinations.

I think Rockstar have realised their mistake of putting stocks affected by in game events on the BAWSAQ instead of LCN, and that's why it's down. It doesn't make sense that
    beta pharmaceuticals and Tinkle Telecom
    are on the BAWSAQ.

Not sure about ammunation too, they don't have any competition so their stock should never go down given that it's on the BAWSAQ and not LCN because players will always be buying ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

BAWSAQ is back up now. Shares for Betta Pharm are 209 approx for me ... cant remember what I bought them at though.. not sure if I should sell or not

• Advertisement
Advertisement