Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anthony Stokes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Grasping his chance with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Like a lot of lads on fringes of Irish side,Stokes is a limited player at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

CSF wrote: »

Open legs more like. NUUUUTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

You appear to be champing at the bit to have a go at Stokes, why would that be now? Elaborate if you will.

Lennonist wrote: »
    You appear to be champing at the bit to have a go at Stokes, why would that be now? Elaborate if you will.
    Well he has been the thorn in our side for pretty much the whole game.

Well he has been the thorn in our side for pretty much the whole game.

You could say that about a lot of the players tonight. Would you like to elaborate on why you are focusing on Stokes in particular?

You could say that about a lot of the players tonight. Would you like to elaborate on why you are focusing on Stokes in particular?

The thread is entitled 'Anthony stokes', no?

fullstop wrote: »
    The thread is entitled 'Anthony stokes', no?

True. Still it was CSF that bumped it during the game tonight, and the question was addressed to him.

Because he was the one that there was so much clamour about to get a chance, this thread being made about it and all. If the same was about Stephen Kelly, I'd be criticising his wasting of his big chance too. However nobody cares about Kelly and he isn't really worthy of much discussion.

With that said, I don't think it has been a terrible performance from Ireland, and if it wasn't for a few individual errors from Stokes and Kelly, things could be looking a little bit better.

• Advertisement

True. Still it was CSF that bumped it during the game tonight, and the question was addressed to him.
    And I've answered, I was one of the major posters in this thread when there was the clamour, surely you can see why the bump is a bit relevant tonight?

Much like Glen Whelan, he looks the part of a top footballer: flash boots, tattoos, big wages and dead-eyed stare.

But if you look at him playing, he's actually hopeless, and like Whelan, its hard to gauge what he actually brings to the team

And I've answered, I was one of the major posters in this thread when there was the clamour, surely you can see why the bump is a bit relevant tonight?

There was no clamour to get Stokes to start tonight, even on this particular thread on Boards.ie.

There may have been posters asking why he wasn't in the squad. He's definitely an option, which he wasn't in the last few years of Trap's reign, because he systematically ignored him among others.

There was no clamour to get Stokes to start tonight, even on this particular thread on Boards.ie.

There may have been posters asking why he wasn't in the squad. He's definitely an option, which he wasn't in the last few years of Trap's reign, because he systematically ignored him among others.
    There was clamour for Stokes to be given a chance to prove himself. Which he now has been and is largely (but not entirely) to blame for this result.

There Which he now has been and is largely (but not entirely) to blame for this result.

That's harsh. He's not up to much, but with or without him there I think we'd be in much the same position. If he'd taken that chance, I think Germany would have just stepped it up a notch, and actually converted one of their 15 chances

That's harsh. He's not up to much, but with or without him there I think we'd be in much the same position. If he'd taken that chance, I think Germany would have just stepped it up a notch, and actually converted one of their 15 chances
    He gave Germany a goal, missed an easy chance, and wasted 2 more great opportunities. Massive negative impact.

Agreed that Germany have the potential to step it up another gear but you can only give yourself a chance by not giving away silly goals, and by taking the few clearcut chances you do get.

• Advertisement

He gave Germany a goal, missed an easy chance, and wasted 2 more great opportunities. Massive negative impact.

Agreed that Germany have the potential to step it up another gear but you can only give yourself a chance by not giving away silly goals, and by taking the few clearcut chances you do get.

I hear you, and I absolutely don't rate the lad (see above), but I still think that if you took him out, the result would have been much the same, therefore I don't think his impact was game changing

I hear you, and I absolutely don't rate the lad (see above), but I still think that if you took him out, the result would have been much the same, therefore I don't think his impact was game changing
    With that attitude though, the underdog just shouldn't turn up. And the result couldn't be much the same, Stokes has no excuse to not have at least 1, probably 2.

There was clamour for Stokes to be given a chance to prove himself. Which he now has been and is largely (but not entirely) to blame for this result.

The "clamour" I think, is in your head.

I think the fact that this thread exists in itself warrants this discussion.

Why is it offending you so much?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Because CSF is full of beans and creating a situation which never happened for the sake of having a go at people who wanted Trap gone so he can try save face for being a bluefaced trap apologist for so long.

As bad as we were tonight, we were a lot better than the home match against Germany.

I think the fact that this thread exists in itself warrants this discussion.

What discussion? Whether Stokes should be in the Ireland squad or the "clamour" in your head?

Stokes should be in the Ireland squad, in my view.

What discussion? Whether Stokes should be in the Ireland squad or the "clamour" in your head?

Stokes should be in the Ireland squad, in my view.

I think anyone with half a brain would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think you are setting the bar impossibly high if you expect players to come in from the cold and perform against Germany away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

He was awful tonight...Had 3 chances and wasted all 3 of them

Seaneh wrote: »
    Because CSF is full of beans and creating a situation which never happened for the sake of having a go at people who wanted Trap gone so he can try save face for being a bluefaced trap apologist for so long.

As bad as we were tonight, we were a lot better than the home match against Germany.
    Me? Trap apologist? Think you have the wrong person.

He was directly asked, but he chose to swerve it, which is entirely his choice.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think you are setting the bar impossibly high if you expect players to come in from the cold and perform against Germany away from home
    Maybe so, he was particularly poor though.

He was directly asked, but he chose to swerve it, which is entirely his choice.
    I wasn't swerving, as far as I can tell Stokes is the only one with a thread calling for his inclusion, I've seen calls for it elsewhere on this forum, the Celtic thread, Facebook, Twitter. When a thread like this exists, I think it warrants discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Shocking tonight.

Doyle is a gonner too.

• Advertisement

I wasn't swerving, as far as I can tell Stokes is the only one with a thread calling for his inclusion, I've seen calls for it elsewhere on this forum, the Celtic thread, Facebook, Twitter. When a thread like this exists, I think it warrants discussion.

Yeah, calls for Stokes to be included in the squad.

Yeah, calls for Stokes to be included in the squad.
    I haven't said anyone was demanding his start though. But with a player with that much discussion, I think it warrants discussion when he gets a chance and makes an absolute balls of it.

I haven't said anyone was demanding his start though. But with a player with that much discussion, I think it warrants discussion when he gets a chance and makes an absolute balls of it.

So what strikers would you have ahead of him in the squad?

Doyle? Sammon? Keogh?

Seriously, who?

We only have 3 half decent strikers in Long, Keane and Walters, after that we don't exactly have much to pick from.

Stokes, on form and ability, deserves to be in the squad, easily, and to argue otherwise is, well, stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

7 chances just shown their for Stokes...a decent striker would have scored at least 3 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The air shot took the biscuit. had he blown it over the bar fair enough but to completely miss it was lol worthy for while.

So what strikers would you have ahead of him in the squad?

Doyle? Sammon? Keogh?

Seriously, who?

We only have 3 half decent strikers in Long, Keane and Walters, after that we don't exactly have much to pick from.

Stokes, on form and ability, deserves to be in the squad, easily, and to argue otherwise is, well, stupid.
    I'd probably have Doyle ahead of him for his international experience. not that I would want either seeing a whole lot of competitive gametime. I think we should only be playing 1 up front going forward anyway.

Again with that said, I don't have any particular issues with Stokes being a squad member, as long as his contribution when called upon is significantly better than that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

At least Stokes got in the position to be on the end of chances - if it was a certain Robbie Keane you'd find him standing out on the wing as far away from goal as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

grenache wrote: »
    At least Stokes got in the position to be on the end of chances - if it was a certain Robbie Keane you'd find him standing out on the wing as far away from goal as possible.

Absolute nonsense man. You have to be taking the piss mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Absolute nonsense man. You have to be taking the piss mate?

No. You're looking at the game in black and white terms. How many chances did Robbie Keane have against either Sweden of Germany? Few if any. He tucked in a rebound against the Swedes and that was about it. Stokes found himself on the end of more chances tonight than Keane has all year. Yes he made a dogs dinner of them, but at least we are creating the chances and against strong opposition. Considering it was his appearance in a green jersey in 2 years, I was encouraged by Stokes' enthusiasm, if not his finishing.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    No. You're looking at the game in black and white terms. How many chances did Robbie Keane have against either Sweden of Germany? Few if any. He tucked in a rebound against the Swedes and that was about it. Stokes found himself on the end of more chances tonight than Keane has all year. Yes he made a dogs dinner of them, but at least we are creating the chances and against strong opposition. Considering it was his appearance in a green jersey in 2 years, I was encouraged by Stokes' enthusiasm, if not his finishing.
    If you're not taking the piss, you should be. Keane made the most of whatever chances he got and put them away. Phenomenal return for an Irish striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

I'd prefer Conor Sammon to Anthony Keogh, Sammon offers some steel to the front line where as Keogh is a buffoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd prefer Conor Sammon to Anthony Keogh, Sammon offers some steel to the front line where as Keogh is a buffoon

Who the fudge is Anthony Keogh???

Connor Sammon is one of the worst player to ever wear an Irish jersey.

Who the fudge is Anthony Keogh???

:pac: Does he mean Anthony Stokes or does he mean Andy Keogh?

Either way he's wrong to prefer Conor Sammon to either of them.

He's very average.

Good enough for the Scottish league but out of his depth when it matters

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's very average.

Good enough for the Scottish league but out of his depth when it matters

But, seriously, who do we have that's better besides Keane, Walters and Long?

Nobody, on that basis, he needs to be in the squad unless we switch to one up top, and even then, I'd have him in the squad because odds are Walters will be used on the wing.

But, seriously, who do we have that's better besides Keane, Walters and Long?

Nobody, on that basis, he needs to be in the squad unless we switch to one up top, and even then, I'd have him in the squad because odds are Walters will be used on the wing.

Keane is still imo head and shoulders above the rest of them.

Major problem when he quits

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keane is still imo head and shoulders above the rest of them.

Major problem when he quits

But that doesn't answer my question at all.

But that doesn't answer my question at all.

The answer to your question is probably nobody unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think people would cut off their nose to spite their face when it comes to certain things.

I didnt see the match live but I watch in full on the rte player afterwards. I think the rte pundits some of their criticisms reeked of vested interests.

Stokes could have done better with 3 of the chances created but remember that neuer pulled off some fantastic saves from clarke during the match aswell. The encouraging thing is that he's getting into those positions and not chasing corner flags like long, walters and doyle do. if ireland managed to finish a chance at 1 r 2 nil, it could had been a different game. Conceding the first so early ruined the gameplan.

That said, id have used different tactics and players to noel king but its not a stick to beat him or the players with

Its abit much to bring in players from the cold and expect them to perform like they were never gone, especially against Germany away with the tactics employed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement