Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitting HRV

• 18-09-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, hope you can help,

I have planning for a house, a 1.5 storey build. Initially I had not considered hrv but now I intend installing it to meet partl 2012 regs. My question is can hrv be fitted between 225mm timber joists between ground first floors which are part of the original design?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

blacktea wrote: »

I have planning for a house, a 1.5 storey build. Initially I had not considered hrv but now I intend installing it to meet partl 2012 regs. My question is can hrv be fitted between 225mm timber joists between ground first floors which are part of the original design?

Thanks in advance

Probably could be, but what happens when you need to turn it and the joists only run in one direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

mfceiling wrote: »
    Probably could be, but what happens when you need to turn it and the joists only run in one direction?

that's my concern mf.

I plan on building slightly higher ridge as it is so would rather avoid having to increase the ridge further to accomodate a dropped ceiling.
    Was originally planning on solid 225 joists running front to back throughout but would mean having a number of drops (3) from attic. Not sure if this feasible or good practice? Other option possibly to use lattice joists but don't know much about these strength wise. The spans are about 4 meters for joists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Lattice joists can go a long way but cost

Number of manufactures out there us Jr google to find

Issue with them is 6in duct will not fit through the W shape so you need to look at how you will run ducts of sufficient diameter to achieve air flows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

fclauson wrote: »
    Lattice joists can go a long way but cost

Number of manufactures out there us Jr google to find

Issue with them is 6in duct will not fit through the W shape so you need to look at how you will run ducts of sufficient diameter to achieve air flows

thanks fclauson. I think it might be worth looking into the lattice joists further to see options available and maybe give a hrv installer a call

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.kingspancentury.com/cent/product_l_joists.html

might be worth a chat with these also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

forget timber and go with a concrete first floor - best money you will spend.

sound and fire proof and a job for life.

some people say when you add up: timber, labour, ply and insulation in between as well as sound proof layer - is the same or simialr to concrete price.

i did concrete and it is a serious job.

O ya - and i can run whatever services i like in the void underneath - it was great for my HRV system!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

+1 for concrete ff

Very little in the cost between timber 9" and the supply and fit slabs.

I used a mixture of 150mm round and flat duct screwed straight to floor slabs, suspended ceiling is at different levels to suit ducting.

Also you have the option to run some plumbing heating services under slab...very handy for piping stove 1" copper line to hotpres.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

JD6910 wrote: »

O ya - and i can run whatever services i like in the void underneath - it was great for my HRV system!!

i thought space was the issue here?
    blacktea wrote: »

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

What's an extra 300mm between friends on a roof line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

a prosecution or a request for retention :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

fclauson wrote: »
    a prosecution or a request for retention :(

when they couldn't spot the faults in Priory Hall, they are unlikely to take a height reading of your ridge!

Advertisement