Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3/RTE CL coverage

• 18-09-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what odds you'd get on neither RTE or TV3 showing United or Celtic in any given week during the group stages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Imagine showing the games of the two biggest Irish fan bases. For Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Whats your point? That they shouldnt appeal to their biggest target markets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

My point is that there are 30 other teams competing in the competition. I don't have Sky and I'd have liked to have seen the Napoli/Dortmund game (on paper a far more attractive game than the Celtic game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Person complaining on Internet about not having access to football match... strange....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

more viewers for those 2. its as simple as that. the way it will be for most of the cl season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

blueser wrote: »
    My point is that there are 30 other teams competing in the competition. I don't have Sky and I'd have liked to have seen the Napoli/Dortmund game (on paper a far more attractive game than the Celtic game).

But you'd be one of a minority and RTE and TV3 won't care for a drop in ratings.
    RTE and TV3 will have done their market research and will target their audience. Sure they'd only have to stumble in to this forum to see where the interest lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah but hundreds more would have wanted to watch the Celtic match. Basic decision to choose the match that will get the highest ratings and tonight it was the Celtic match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Maybe you should look into getting Sky if you're so passionate it?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Person complaining on Internet about not having access to football match... strange....
    Person paying TV licence complaining about Irish TV coverage...not strange....

RoryMac wrote: »
    Maybe you should look into getting Sky if you're so passionate it?
    I shouldn't have to though, surely? I fully understand the TV companies pandering to the ratings figures, but can't RTE try to cater for alternative tastes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I shouldn't have to though, surely? I fully understand the TV companies pandering to the ratings figures, but can't RTE try to cater for alternative tastes?

And cost the country more money in the process?

Stupid idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'll win the lotto before either could show Celtic in their proper lineup

SantryRed wrote: »
    And cost the country more money in the process?

Stupid idea.
    If you say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If you say so.

Well it is stupid. It would cost them a fortune to show a game which isn't for the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Depressed enough watching Ireland play, I turn to CL to be entertained, remind myself of the joys of watching top quality football.
    See they're showing Celtic. goodnight.

Depressed enough watching Ireland play, I turn to CL to be entertained, remind myself of the joys of watching top quality football.

A first world problem if there ever was one!

I know :(
    All that wasted bandwidth to stream matches with Ukrainian commentary to get my jollys.
    No complaints about Utd though. I'm by no means a fan, but at least they're a good watch.

I know :(
    All that wasted bandwidth to stream matches with Ukrainian commentary to get my jollys.
    No complaints about Utd though. I'm by no means a fan, but at least they're a good watch.

If you had an internet connection able to stream, you shouldnt have need Ukrainian commentary for any match!

I didnt find the United match riveting by any stretch of the imagination. Leverkusen were surprisingly poor moreso than United were that good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Old Bill after saying RTE's next live game is City V Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, I always remember in the pre-streaming era watching the draw and hoping to dear Jesus we got a draw that put us playing on different days to Man U. Didn't care who who would up just... not playing on the same day...
    Fenix wrote: »
    Imagine showing the games of the two biggest Irish fan bases. For Shame.
    Whats your point? That they shouldnt appeal to their biggest target markets?

While they might be the biggest fan bases, they are not the only fan bases. fans of ther teams pay their license fees too amd have just as much a right to watch their team as United do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ah, I always remember in the pre-streaming era watching the draw and hoping to dear Jesus we got a draw that put us playing on different days to Man U. Didn't care who who would up just... not playing on the same day...

While they might be the biggest fan bases, they are not the only fan bases. fans of ther teams pay their license fees too amd have just as much a right to watch their team as United do.
    I wouldn't bother if I were you; I tried making that point earlier and just got shouted down for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dempsey wrote: »
    A first world problem if there ever was one!

You know I do care about the world, Syria, the environment and the way we treat our fellow man but to say that on the football forum is crazy. This is a place to discuss football. Surely they should show what they think will be the best match. Its particularly mad when two free to air channels are showing the same game as has happened many a time. Milan v Celtic tonight was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I wouldn't bother if I were you; I tried making that point earlier and just got shouted down for it

Letter as such to RTE/TV3

I am an Irish citizen and pay my TV license like the next man, i should get to watch my english team play in the champions league too

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

LOL, no they dont. What law covers that 'right'? :rolleyes:

Letter as such to RTE/TV3

I am an Irish citizen and pay my TV license like the next man, i should get to watch my english team play in the champions league too

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Will they take any notice of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

LOL, no they dont. What law covers that 'right'? :rolleyes:

I beleive it's called the Broadcast Tax law. or soemthing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Whatever about RTE

Do TV3 have to show the same game as ITV??

Isn't there a link between the two TV stations,I think ITV have shares in TV3

You know I do care about the world, Syria, the environment and the way we treat our fellow man but to say that on the football forum is crazy. This is a place to discuss football. Surely they should show what they think will be the best match. Its particularly mad when two free to air channels are showing the same game as has happened many a time. Milan v Celtic tonight was dire.

You poor thing! You could have watched another game or something else completely. Plenty of poor games in the UCL in general.
    I beleive it's called the Broadcast Tax law. or soemthing similar.

You dont sound sure at all, maybe even quote the provision in the law that covers this magical right you think that exists!

If you had an internet connection able to stream, you shouldnt have need Ukrainian commentary for any match!
    To be fair, I wanted to watch the Napoli game. They'd never be shown on either channel, unless they were playing the likes of the aforementioned.;)
    'Twould have been nice to have an alternative on the telly though.
    You poor thing! You could have watched another game or something else completely. Plenty of poor games in the UCL in general.

Agree with you on that. I think the Europa league produces more enjoyable and competitive games overall.

• Advertisement

You dont sound sure at all, maybe even quote the provision in the law that covers this magical right you think that exists!

As you wish - The Broacast Act 2009:
    The Authority and the statutory committees, in performing their functions, shall endeavour to ensure—

(a) that the number and categories of broadcasting services made available in the State by virtue of this Act best serve the needs of the people of the island of Ireland, bearing in mind their languages and traditions and their religious, ethical and cultural diversity,
    "The Authority" being the Broadcast Authority of Ireland, to which RTE is answerable.

Furthermore, RTE's own charter states it commits to:
    sports programming that reflects the demands for national, regional, minority, amateur and local sports in Ireland today

http://www.rte.ie/documents/about/public-service-broadcasting-charter.pdf

In any case, if should be pretty much self-evident that any state broadcaser that gets state money cover for all aspects of society and not just the most popular. This applies to all broadcasting content, not just sport.

The Authority and the statutory committees, in performing their functions, shall endeavour to ensure—

(a) that the number and categories of broadcasting services made available in the State by virtue of this Act best serve the needs of the people of the island of Ireland, bearing in mind their languages and traditions and their religious, ethical and cultural diversity,

Take them to court so since that is so specific in its wording! Showing the Celtic game covers that Act if you havent noticed.

Take them to court so since that is so specific in its wording! Showing the Celtic game covers that Act if you havent noticed.

I'm in Germany and have internet, cheers. No problem who they show whenever - but you asked me to point out where fans of other teams had an equal right to watch their teams based on paying their licence fee/broadcast charge and I did so. If RTE wanted to live up to their own standards (and those set down in law) they should be showing different teams and that's been proven.

But I'd be annoyed if I did pay said fee and wasn't being catered for, but that's not specific to sport.

I'm in Germany and have internet, cheers. No problem who they show tomrorow or whenever - but you asked me to point out where fans of other teams had an equal right to watch their teams based on paying their licence fee/broadcast charge and I did so.

But I'd be annoyed if I did pay said fee and wasn't being catered for, but that's not specific to sport.

That is a broad act that can be abused as they see fit. Showing a UCL match involving ManU/ManC/Chelsea/Arsenal etc is covered by the act just as much as the match tonight. To cite it tonight because of a poor match or a club you dont like is absolutely laughable tbh.

That is a broad act that can be abused as they see fit. Showing a UCL match involving ManU/ManC/Chelsea/Arsenal etc is covered by the act just as much as the match tonight. To cite it tonight because of a poor match or a club you dont like is absolutely laughable tbh.

It would be if I did it, but I didn't, so the strawman is hereby burnt down. Also, it wasn't cited for the reasons you suggest, it was cited because you requested me to, remember?

No mention of any specific match and no mentino of feeligns towards a particular team.

It would be if I did it, but I didn't, so the strawman is hereby burnt down. Also, it wasn't cited for the reasons you suggest, it was cited because you requested me to, remember?

No mention of any specific match and no mentino of feeligns towards a particular team.

Maybe you should look at the context the thread was created? :rolleyes:

You werent specific but chose the moment a thread about United & Celtic to have a moan?

• Advertisement

Maybe you should look at the context the thread was created? :rolleyes:

You werent specific but chose the moment a thread about United & Celtic to have a moan?

Are you sure you're debating this with the right person...? I'm not the OP.

Are you sure you're debating this with the right person...? I'm not the OP.

This thread is in the soccer forum, created about 2 teams. You come along about rights and how other teams show have these rights. That was the jist of your posts, not the OPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I thought this was going to be a rant about how bad the actual coverage is of the games and I was ready to jump in! Shocking commentary and punditry, put me off watching the game tonight as their bias and lack of knowledge was so bad (Sky are bad too but in a different way) and I actually had to get up and go into the other room to watch Sky's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ballack on Sky's Champions League highlights show now.

I never realised how amazingly spot on Apres Match's impression of him was.

This thread is in the soccer forum, created about 2 teams. You come along about rights and how other teams show have these rights. That was the jist of your posts, not the OPs.

Now that's far mroe accurate than your last two posts.
    Not "should have" but "have" - they'er just not being adhered to by RTE. Other than that, correct - are you going to debate this?

• Advertisement

Not "should have" but "have" - they'er just not being adhered to by RTE. Other than that, correct - are you going to debate this?

Pedantic ftw? Goodnight :rolleyes:

Pedantic ftw? Goodnight :rolleyes:

I didn't think so - sweet dreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Whatever about RTE

Do TV3 have to show the same game as ITV??

Isn't there a link between the two TV stations,I think ITV have shares in TV3

ITV haven't owned shares in TV3 for a long time. TV3 still buy a lot of the ITV rubbish though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dont have Sky and never intend getting it.

Dont have Sky and never intend getting it.

I can get any match on my phone ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They don't show many Liverpool matches these days, do they...wait a second...

:o :rolleyes: :o

Advertisement