Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi for Innotab 3S

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I got an innotab 3S for my daughter, the main reason was it could connect to the internet via wi-fi. However when I try to connect to my eircom netopia 2247-02 router I get the message "Cannot connect to network". It is not the password as I removed the password in case this was the problem; Anyone got any ideas, as I have tried everything I know of with no luck?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

handyf1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got an innotab 3S for my daughter, the main reason was it could connect to the internet via wi-fi. However when I try to connect to my eircom netopia 2247-02 router I get the message "Cannot connect to network". It is not the password as I removed the password in case this was the problem; Anyone got any ideas, as I have tried everything I know of with no luck?

Open the Wifi options in the Settings app -> Click on the network then choose forget. Try reconnecting to the network then and see if it helps

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5 handyf1

Thanks Nick. I tried that but still getting the "Cannot find the network". Do you have any other ideas. Frank

I still have not been able to connect my daughters Innotab 3S to the internet via wi-fi. Does anyone have any ideas? It has to do with the router as I got it connected in my friends house. Any help would be much appreciated. Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 6 busthoops

I still have not been able to connect my daughters Innotab 3S to the internet via wi-fi. Does anyone have any ideas? It has to do with the router as I got it connected in my friends house. Any help would be much appreciated. Frank

Hi Frank, I know it's a while since you last posted, but I just got one of these for my child too and am experiencing what appears to be the same issue on my eircom wireless network. Did you have any luck coming up with a solution?

Hi again. Since that last post, I did some playing around with my router settings. When I disabled my password the Innotab could connect. I didn't want to leave my network unprotected though, so I tried some other privacy options. Previously it had been set to WPA-PSK, which didn't work. I now set it to WEP and hey... works. Anyone having this problem, give that a try. WPA must not be supported by the Innotab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sorry, no solution, but funny that you should mention this. Recently an aquaintence fried their eircom Wireless router/modem, which was replaced by eircom with the 'current' model. With the old model, everything connected to it and onward to the internet without any fuss whatsoever. However with the newer model many laptops, tablets, phones (android and iOS) may or may not connect. Peculiar - an android may connect but a second android may not connect. An iPhone may connect then won't connect a few minutes later. The main laptop which worked perfectly with the old router/modem mostly won't connect over wireless so it's reduced to sitting at the end of a 3 foot network cable. Not exactly convenient.

So, given everything was working beforehand and now everything is intermittent, i can only assume its something to do with the replacement router and to back this theory up, a second router of the older variety was plugged into it, and everything was fine. What's annoying is that sometimes it works on some devices, sometimes it won't with no apparent reason. I haven't spent any time at all at it but such problems as referred to above sound familiar. I'm wondering is the new router/model limiting the number of connections it will accept.

Anyone else have such problems with eircom's wireless router/modems and is it a replacement/or config change to resolve if anyone has resolved it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try changing the Wireless channel setting on the router. It could be the channel you are using is congested explaining the drop outs/lack of connectivity

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

wouldn't leave your router on WEP, not secure.
    v-tech mentions updating your firmware, which happens automatically when you register on Learning lodge.

heres the link for the manual if you need.
    Doesn't show specs so cant tell if compatible with wpa2

Aside, while they have certain educational use, they do seem an expensive toy with limited useage life and quite high maintenance.
    My experience with the Innotab 2 is the games are very basic and expensive, everything is proprietary and only available from v-tech, even the e-books. They are all priced higher than you might expect, imported videos have to specifically formatted.
    I guess only the locked down aspect of it is the main advantage for kid safe entertainment but it is unlikely keep them off your iphone or ipad 6 months later.
    If there was a locked down for kids version of android then almost any basic android phone or tablet would beat them in spec and value for money.

wil wrote: »
    wouldn't leave your router on WEP, not secure.
    v-tech mentions updating your firmware, which happens automatically when you register on Learning lodge.

heres the link for the manual if you need.
    Doesn't show specs so cant tell if compatible with wpa2

Aside, while they have certain educational use, they do seem an expensive toy with limited useage life and quite high maintenance.
    My experience with the Innotab 2 is the games are very basic and expensive, everything is proprietary and only available from v-tech, even the e-books. They are all priced higher than you might expect, imported videos have to specifically formatted.
    I guess only the locked down aspect of it is the main advantage for kid safe entertainment but it is unlikely keep them off your iphone or ipad 6 months later.
    If there was a locked down for kids version of android then almost any basic android phone or tablet would beat them in spec and value for money.

Hi Wil, I've had no bother with .avi videos on the Innotab 2. Haven't tried on the new 3S yet, I'm waiting for a micro SD card to arrive in the post.

I have updated the firmware already as you mentioned it happens automatically when you connect to the learning lodge.

As for the price of the cartridge games, I don't have too much issue with the actual price. My issue lies more in the number of titles actually available. My child is 7 and as far as I can make out, there are only 2 titles for her age category 7-9. Being locked down is a huge attraction though. I know there are apps for droid that can supposedly give you a kid friendly environment, but I still don't know if I could trust that she won't delete or break something. The Innotabs can take a lot of punishment.

As an added bonus, she is learning!

Hi, I got this working now. After a lot of talking to Eircom I got a new router off them. The Innotab 3S connected to wifi first time. The new router is D1000. This worked for me.

• Advertisement

busthoops wrote: »
    Hi Wil, I've had no bother with .avi videos on the Innotab 2. Haven't tried on the new 3S yet, I'm waiting for a micro SD card to arrive in the post.

I think I spoke too soon. None of the .avi, .mp3 or .jpeg files will open on the 3S. Think I'm gonna have to hit a few more forums to figure that out.
    Hi, I got this working now. After a lot of talking to Eircom I got a new router off them. The Innotab 3S connected to wifi first time. The new router is D1000. This worked for me.

Hi handyf1, can you tell me if you're using WEP or WPA on the new router? I've a feeling it'll be WEP. I was in contact with Vtech customer support, and they sent me this in an email:

"The Innotab does support WPA/WPA2-PSK standards, however we have identified a bug where by the Innotab cannot correctly connect to a WPA encryption sub standard called WPA2-PSK/CCMP-TKIP which I would hazard a guess is what your router is using judging by the type of connection failure you have encountered.
    Our developers are currently in the process of developing a firmware patch for the Innotab to rectify the problem; we are in the testing phase at the moment with a view to release the patch to the Learning Lodge hopefully by the first week of December, once complete I will contact you and request you to connect your Innotab to the Learning Lodge to complete the update, this should resolve the issue. Using WEP security in the meantime is obviously not ideal, however I am confident that the patch should be ready ahead of schedule should you wish to delay using the Innotab with WiFi until then."

Hi busthoops, I am using WEP on the new router. I did not find Vtech customer support very helpful.. I tried everything they suggested witness no success. The new roter fixed the problem.

Hi busthoops, I am using WEP on the new router. I did not find Vtech customer support very helpful.. I tried everything they suggested witness no success. The new roter fixed the problem.

I'd be interested to know whether your old router would have worked with WEP encryption too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

busthoops wrote: »
    I think I spoke too soon. None of the .avi, .mp3 or .jpeg files will open on the 3S. Think I'm gonna have to hit a few more forums to figure that out.
    ...."
    seem to remember almost everything on the I 2 had to be done in a very exact way to work. avis had to be coded at particular setting in mediacoder, same settings in freemake didn't work
    mp3 had to be added through the learning lodge interface or they weren't visible. Cant remember about jpegs, think there was a max resolution.
    There was an Amazon group attempting some hacking with limited results but it was a lot of effort for fairly little return. They should use innotabs for banking ;)

wil wrote: »
    seem to remember almost everything on the I 2 had to be done in a very exact way to work. avis had to be coded at particular setting in mediacoder, same settings in freemake didn't work
    mp3 had to be added through the learning lodge interface or they weren't visible. Cant remember about jpegs, think there was a max resolution.
    There was an Amazon group attempting some hacking with limited results but it was a lot of effort for fairly little return. They should use innotabs for banking ;)

I've copied .avis and .jpegs and .mp3s from the Innotab 2 card (which worked) directly onto the Innotab 3S card and now they don't work. Bit odd. Probably something I messed up in folder names or something. I'll have another look and if I can't sort it, I'll start another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 edsmed

Sorry to drag this up but I've had the same problem and figured out what it was.. the netopia uses an encryption pairing on top of the standard WPA2-PSK security called TKIP-CCMP which didn't work (a bit overkill in my opinion) however I've been in contact with vtech who say they have now released a firmware update to rectify this, I've just updated and sure enough everything works!

yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shelleybean

Hi, i now have innotab 3s and cant connect to wifi either. Only thing talk talk helped with was changing from WPA2/WPA to WPA which shut all my devices out so had to change back. Router is HUAWEI HG533 Any idras anyone as i dont have a clue about changing settibg on the router and dont want to feel i just chucked money down the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SepticBill

Hello all

Just thought I would join to let you Know I had same problem but installed the ssid and password in manually on the innotab 3s and it worked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Vtech Digigo looks like I have same problem? Any quick fix?

Advertisement