Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING, Eircom <SNIP> people

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, this is a story of terrible customer service from Eircom, and how they are too powerful and need to be put down.
    A song of Eircom and Vodafone

Part one: A Game of Broadband
    It began about four months ago, I had just sold my house, I was in a rented house until the sale closed on my new house, I have a pay as you go dongle stick from three, too slow, not good enough for gaming, I then set out to search for a good broadband provider.
    I got a list of available providers in my area, and I decided to try Sky and UPC, both wanted the phone number from my house, I explained to them that I was in a rented house and I don't have a phone connect, the line has been dead for years, they told me to ring up Eircom and try and get the number, I did and I got no where, I failed to get a chuman, so I gave up.
    Within the next day or so a sales rep from Vodafone knocked on my front door, offering to sell me Vodafone broadband, I was stunned, I bogged it down to a happy coincidence, though I can't say for sure, he had Vodafone tags and forums that all looked real, so I signed my information on the forums, my DD information, he even took a picture of me, he then left to get the process started.

Upon reading the forums he gave me they stated that I was to receive a letter confirming my contract, oh I forgot, I signed up for two years to receive a new router, as my old one was out of date and slow, anyway this letter never showed up, I shrugged it off.
    Weeks passed and nothing happened, I was very busy at the time so I ignored it, six weeks passed and nothing happened, I was worried he was a conman, so I rang up Vodafone, got talking to a guy, got very angry at him as when I gave him this sales reps name he couldn't identify him, after a hour on the phone to this Vodafone rep he assumed that this sales rep, got confused with the information as my rented house had no phone line, then just threw out the forums instead of calling me and asking for the information.
    Vodafone rep then started my process of getting broadband and hurried it through, I had it in two weeks.

Part two: A Clash of Providers

I am now in my home which I bought, I rang up the old owner of the house two weeks ago to cancel his homephone and broadband connection, so I can move my Vodafone connection here, he told me he has sent his cancellation request to Eircom and that it will be cancelled in a few days, I decided that was fair, I rang up Vodafone and requested to get my broadband moved, they told me once the line was dead they would get my broadband moved, I decided all was good and left it.

It is now two weeks later, no broadband yet, I started by ringing Vodafone, who told me that the line was still active and that they had sent four requests to Eircom to have it cancelled, as Eircom own the phone and broadband lines.
    I then called up the old owner of the house and asked him if he had sent the cancellation request, he assured me he had and that he is no longer being charged for the broadband.
    I then rang Eircom, waited fifteen minutes to get a person, who was plain rude when I explained my problem, after a while I convinced her to transfer me to someone else, she did, she transferred me to another Eircom employee, I explained my problem again, and she asked me if the old owners had requested the cancellation, I told her that they had, she then told me it wasn't her problem, it was Vodafones problem, I then told her Vodafone can't do anything as they don't own the lines, and I said as Eircom is the keeper of the lines, it is their job to cancel and connect the lines, she told me it wasn't, after a long while of rudeness and refusal to help me, or give me any information, I asked to be transferred to her manager, she then told me no and hung up.

I cannot believe that Eircom is allowed to get away with this, terrible customer service, refusal to help people and withholding information to prevent people from signing up with another provider, I know they are in the wrong here, and I don't have my broadband by next week, I'm taking legal action, I don't care how much I have to pay for legal fees, I won't let them get away with it if I have to wait any longer.

This is just a warning to all of you, boycott Eircom as much as you can, they are nothing but a bunch of upjumped street thugs.

Comments

Just checking, but do you know that Eircom has a Talk To forum?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Err, how are eircom scamming you exactly?

Based purely on your description you appear to have experienced some poor customer service, some of this is likely due to data protection issues with the previous owners account.

But in all honesty I see no scamming, to suggest there's a scam would suggest that eircom are benefitting some how.

But they're not, they're not getting money from you or anything like that.

The poor service or unclear direction in relation to the cause of your issue is frustrating no doubt, but it's not a scam.

To resolve your issue have you followed Eircom's complaints procedure?

What exactly did eircom say needs to be done by your provider? What exactly was discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@boneyarsebogman - please don't point a poster in the direction of another forum. Instead, please alert a mod that the thread requires moving. Otherwise we can end up with duplicate threads which require merging etc. 

Moved to Talk to eircom

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianDeely

Cabaal wrote: »
    Snip
    Scamming was a bad term for me to say, but they are wrong in what they are doing.
    When I call them and prove I am the owner of this house, all I want is to talk to someone who can help me get this over with, instead I get a rude rep, who told me that it's Vodafones problem and to go away, who hung up on me when I asked for a manager.
    I have no problem with Vodafones service, they did their job and listened to me, Eircom is clearly trying to get me to sign up with them, which is wrong and abuse of their ownership of the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Thread moved to Eircom Talk to. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

CianDeely wrote: »
    Snip
    I have no problem with Vodafones service, they did their job and listened to me, Eircom is clearly trying to get me to sign up with them, which is wrong and abuse of their ownership of the lines.
    I don't know that they are. Things don't work like that. Pursue this by having it escalated to management but do so in a reasonable, if stern, manner (attacking a phone advisor is disgraceful) and you'd need proof you have grounds for legal action before going down that road. Also, consider their hands may be tied and that they're not just trying to be difficult.

In fairness, we only have one side of this. I'd imagine data protection is an obstacle here - and that is not poor customer service, it actually protects the customer.

Hope it gets sorted soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianDeely

Snip
    I don't know that they are. Things don't work like that. Pursue this by having it escalated to management but do so in a reasonable, if stern, manner (attacking a phone advisor is disgraceful) and you'd need proof you have grounds for legal action before going down that road. Also, consider their hands may be tied and that they're not just trying to be difficult.
    I appreciate your opinion and knowledge,
    I think I've had enough talking about it, I'm going to follow up on that terrible customer service employee and wait for my broadband.

[E] I'm quite certain they do own and maintain the lines, why else would Vodafone contact Eircom to get information on the line and have it cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hello, this is a story of terrible customer service from Eircom, and how they are too powerful and need to be put down.
    A song of Eircom and Vodafone

Part one: A Game of Broadband
                                                                                                           It began about four months ago, I had just sold my house, I was in a rented house until the sale closed on my new house, I have a pay as you go dongle stick from three, too slow, not good enough for gaming, I then set out to search for a good broadband provider.
    I got a list of available providers in my area, and I decided to try Sky and UPC, both wanted the phone number from my house, I explained to them that I was in a rented house and I don't have a phone connect, the line has been dead for years, they told me to ring up Eircom and try and get the number, I did and I got no where, I failed to get a chuman, so I gave up.
    Within the next day or so a sales rep from Vodafone knocked on my front door, offering to sell me Vodafone broadband, I was stunned, I bogged it down to a happy coincidence, though I can't say for sure, he had Vodafone tags and forums that all looked real, so I signed my information on the forums, my DD information, he even took a picture of me, he then left to get the process started.

Upon reading the forums he gave me they stated that I was to receive a letter confirming my contract, oh I forgot, I signed up for two years to receive a new router, as my old one was out of date and slow, anyway this letter never showed up, I shrugged it off.
    Weeks passed and nothing happened, I was very busy at the time so I ignored it, six weeks passed and nothing happened, I was worried he was a conman, so I rang up Vodafone, got talking to a guy, got very angry at him as when I gave him this sales reps name he couldn't identify him, after a hour on the phone to this Vodafone rep he assumed that this sales rep, got confused with the information as my rented house had no phone line, then just threw out the forums instead of calling me and asking for the information.
    Vodafone rep then started my process of getting broadband and hurried it through, I had it in two weeks.

Part two: A Clash of Providers

I am now in my home which I bought, I rang up the old owner of the house two weeks ago to cancel his homephone and broadband connection, so I can move my Vodafone connection here, he told me he has sent his cancellation request to Eircom and that it will be cancelled in a few days, I decided that was fair, I rang up Vodafone and requested to get my broadband moved, they told me once the line was dead they would get my broadband moved, I decided all was good and left it.

It is now two weeks later, no broadband yet, I started by ringing Vodafone, who told me that the line was still active and that they had sent four requests to Eircom to have it cancelled, as Eircom own the phone and broadband lines.
    I then called up the old owner of the house and asked him if he had sent the cancellation request, he assured me he had and that he is no longer being charged for the broadband.
    I then rang Eircom, waited fifteen minutes to get a person, who was plain rude when I explained my problem, after a while I convinced her to transfer me to someone else, she did, she transferred me to another Eircom employee, I explained my problem again, and she asked me if the old owners had requested the cancellation, I told her that they had, she then told me it wasn't her problem, it was Vodafones problem, I then told her Vodafone can't do anything as they don't own the lines, and I said as Eircom is the keeper of the lines, it is their job to cancel and connect the lines, she told me it wasn't, after a long while of rudeness and refusal to help me, or give me any information, I asked to be transferred to her manager, she then told me no and hung up.

I cannot believe that Eircom is allowed to get away with this, terrible customer service, refusal to help people and withholding information to prevent people from signing up with another provider, I know they are in the wrong here, and I don't have my broadband by next week, I'm taking legal action, I don't care how much I have to pay for legal fees, I won't let them get away with it if I have to wait any longer.

This is just a warning to all of you, boycott Eircom as much as you can, they are nothing but a bunch of upjumped street thugs.

Hi CianDeely

I feel the main issue here is that you should have been informed that one months notice is required to close down an account.

I understand you own the house but you are not the owner of the eircom account at this premises and that’s why eircom cannot disclose any information to you as eircom are required to follow data and privacy protection regulations.

The previous tenant in your house who has the active account would had the option to request an immediate cease of service where upon they would be charged a fee in lieu of notice to cease service (this is about €20.96 which covers line rental for one month) however it seems they opted to follow the standard eircom account cease procedure where one months notice is given.

If you want to make sure the account holder has requested a cease then request them to contact eircom cancellations on free phone 1901 (option 4 and then 3) to get confirmation on the date this account will be ceased (they will be asked for the account number etc.)

I hope this information helps you.

Al

Advertisement