Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Rifle and Applying For A License -Help

Options
  • 18-09-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm very new to shooting and I was wondering what I should look for in a rifle, particularly for a beginner.
    I did mention previously that I'm after a Lee Enfield, and I'd like to join the VCRAI if I'm lucky, but it's probably a good idea if I at least familiarise myself around rifles for a couple of years. To that end, I'm hoping to get a license and pick up a .22 calibre gun for target shooting/plinking and the odd squirrel or crow on my friend's farm. I certainly wouldn't mind a larger gun, but I'd imagine they're more difficult to obtain for a novice, and in any case, most online Irish stores pretty much only stock .22 and .308 medium game rifles (also .22 rounds very affordable).
    So yeah, any tips on buying my first gun, and how difficult do you find it to be to acquire a license? BTW, I can easily get written permission from a couple of farmers I know, if that makes a huge difference. I'm not sure about what insurance I have to have, though, is it specifically insurance for gun owners?
    Also, some questions about the form itself:
    What exactly is Proof of Competence, and what people are they looking for in the Character Referees section? I don't exactly know anyone that has a clue about guns that aren't friends or family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

Hi I'm also new to shooting I would recommend going to a range and firstly taking the safety course to get u used to Gun and Gun safety I found this invaluable. I have now joined the range and they have helped get Gun insurance and the help and guidance I have been shown iI amazing I joined HH near athy bought a Ruger semi auto 10-22 amazing accuracy and fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Yes the .22lr is a good choice of rifle to start with and the ammo is cheap so you can have plenty of trigger time.
    I would not think a .303 would be good to start off with as you would be limited to mostly range shooting and that can get very boring after a while.
    Insurance will/can be included if you join a shooting range or you can get it yourself for about €60. It only covers accidents not loss of firearms.

Adrian5765 above is just starting out and as he said it's good to join a club as it gets you with like minded people. And they are there for when you need a hand.

Have a read through here it will explain a lot.

www.irishshooting.com

Read about the licensing form from the "Licensing" drop down button.

2.5-Proof of Competence (C)
    If this is your first firearm then you may be required to prove that you have the ability to use the firearm in a safe maner. This will be by way of a certificate or letter stating you have done as much. These competence courses can be completed at many of the shooting clubs and ranges. Your local firearms dealer may provide you with a letter if you can show a very good basic knowledge in safety for the firearm your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimjam joeyjoejoe

Thanks for the help, lads, really appreciate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye definitely good advice to get the compitance coarse done.

This will give you a good familiarisation with firarms and will also give you the proof of compitance you need for your firearms license.

Joining a range is also a good idea if you have no one around you that can tea h and show you the ropes.

Your referrees are just people to you nominate on the form that if the guards want they can ring them and ask for a character referance. As far as I remember it can't be a partner or family or a guard I think. So friends is ok once ther of age obviously. I always try get mature men on mine farmers mainly.

Best of luck hope it works out lad.

Where are you based some one might be able to give you places to get a coarse done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Molendinarius

Hi folks, I'm looking to get my hands on an AR 7 survival rifle. any out there for sale or how do i legally import one without being ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Hi folks, I'm looking to get my hands on an AR 7 survival rifle. any out there for sale or how do i legally import one without being ripped off.

If this is going to be your first gun id really recomend buying a different one! You will get bored of it very fast and from what iv read in the past they are not very accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Maybe get a 10/22 takedown??? Seem to be getting a good review from the lads that have them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

cw67irl wrote: »
    Maybe get a 10/22 takedown??? Seem to be getting a good review from the lads that have them!!

Great looking rifle and handle very well. Comes with a Ruger backpack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would agree get a 10-22 takedown or a marlin papoose.

Advertisement