Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Apparently he didn't show up for walk throughs and didn't give any notice, hence not travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Apparently he didn't show up for walk throughs and didn't give any notice, hence not travelling.

The guy is a disaster and probably a bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There must be an attitude problem there along with his poor play. I think every draftnik has him as a superstar in the NFL.

Anyways the Colts haven't done too badly, they are in an AFC Championship game tonight so the trade hasn't hurt them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It seems his mother died which is why he didnt turn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Syferus wrote: »
    The more you look at it the more bizarre a time it was for the Browns to stock up on draft picks. There's a nest of QBs around the same level and the home run play, Manziel, isn't even likely to be the first one off the board. The Browns have put themselves in a position to vastly over-pay for someone.
    Syferus wrote: »
    Love Trent's attitude. He'll make it with time and a lot of voices here will go silent when that happens.

Good reread this thread is!! Buying into SEC hype is a sure fire way to make bad predictions as far as players in the NFL are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

See what happens when you leave your leading rusher at home for the Championship game

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good reread this thread is!! Buying into SEC hype is a sure fire way to make bad predictions as far as players in the NFL are concerned.
    kryogen wrote: »
    See what happens when you leave your leading rusher at home for the Championship game

jesus the captain hindsights are out in force :D

So his mother didn't die. It was a twitter joke that was misinterpreted and everyone ran with.

I'm many things, but I'm not Captain Hindsight as far as this thread is concerned!!

More like Captain Foresight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Your sarcasm detector may be a little bit off my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So his mother didn't die. It was a twitter joke that was misinterpreted and everyone ran with.

****ing damn twitter, i hate this type of ****

****ing damn twitter, i hate this type of ****

And even if it were true, it would still be bizarre. We've all had family emergencies / deaths that meant we couldn't make it into work I'm sure. And I'm sure we all contacted our boss about same.

It appears Trent feels 'entitled' to success in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm fairly disappointed by T-Rich. I thought he was a surefire success with his build and speed. It's fairly sad for the guy that he has gone from being a future franchise piece to barely an afterthought in no time at all.

I was one of those who though the Colts got a great bit of business as he had shown potential in his rookie year, even allowing for the lower YPC and injuries.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-02-23/colts-trent-richardson-dispute-suspension-pregnant-girlfriend-perception-contract-void

Situation is getting quite ugly. The Colts clearly want rid of him and there seems to be a PR battle being waged via the media muddying the waters over why he has received a suspension and what the next move by the Colts will be. A suspension seems to give the Colts the legal right to void the remainder of his contract, but it is looking more and more like it will be judged a classless move. Colts staff were playing coy during the combine when asked about the subject.

If he was cut I wonder whether he'd be picked up? I suppose he'd get a shot in camp somewhere on a vet min type deal with playing incentives but I'd be doubtful about his ability to make a final roster.

Next couple of weeks should be interesting anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-02-23/colts-trent-richardson-dispute-suspension-pregnant-girlfriend-perception-contract-void

Situation is getting quite ugly. The Colts clearly want rid of him and there seems to be a PR battle being waged via the media muddying the waters over why he has received a suspension and what the next move by the Colts will be. A suspension seems to give the Colts the legal right to void the remainder of his contract, but it is looking more and more like it will be judged a classless move. Colts staff were playing coy during the combine when asked about the subject.

If he was cut I wonder whether he'd be picked up? I suppose he'd get a shot in camp somewhere on a vet min type deal with playing incentives but I'd be doubtful about his ability to make a final roster.

Next couple of weeks should be interesting anyway...
    it is classless move to be fair. You gambled you lost then suspending himvwhen his gf nearly miscarries is utterly classless

it is classless move to be fair. You gambled you lost then suspending himvwhen his gf nearly miscarries is utterly classless

I don't disagree, but the NFL tends to be a classless / ruthless business. The level of class you receive from a Franchise tends to correalate with how good you are on the field. Richardson hasn't been very good to put it mildly.

Colts seem to have signed Frank Gore to a three year deal worth ~$12m. I expect the Colts will try and trade Richardson and cut him if they can't find a suitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Colts seem to have signed Frank Gore to a three year deal worth ~$12m. I expect the Colts will try and trade Richardson and cut him if they can't find a suitor.

As a Raiders fan I'd accept a trade that included Trent Richardson and the Colts 2nd round pick. I don't think their 3rd round pick would be enough for me to pull the trigger on it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nobody is trading for Richardson, he's getting cut.

Just been cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

A few sources saying the Titans are interested in Richardson

Sweet bloody mary jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A few sources saying the Titans are interested in Richardson

Sweet bloody mary jesus

:) Titans will continue to be my 2nd team with Orakpo & Richardson, not quite Locker but not bad

What a disaster. :) Wonder if he'll make it through camp at wherever he lands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Raiders have announced he has signed with them.

Paully D wrote: »
    Raiders have announced he has signed with them.

thank god it wasnt the titans

Well, they've nobody else on the roster worth a damn so he should be in a good position to win the starting job.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Murray looks good and they signed Helu I think? Both are exponentially better than T-Rich.

They've given him 4 mill I read. I'm starting to think Reggie wants out of a job.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Murray looks good and they signed Helu I think? Both are exponentially better than T-Rich.

They've given him 4 mill I read. I'm starting to think Reggie wants out of a job.

Murray looks okay. Let me put it another way: I can't think of many franchises weaker at the position as of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Murray looks okay. Let me put it another way: I can't think of many franchises weaker at the position as of today.
    Well McFadden "replaced" Murray with the Cowboys!!! :eek: Yeah we are pretty weak at the RB position.

Just to round out this thread (:)) if anyone was wondering how Richardson got on last night / where he was / etc don't worry - he was waived by the Raiders at the end of August and is now a Free Agent, unlikely to play in the league again. I'll remember him for stuff like the video in the below article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/08/17/should-trent-richardson-have-gotten-clowned-for-missing-what-appeared-to-be-a-huge-hole/

Though, tbf, the initial angle makes it look worse than it was. Let this be a cautionary tale though folks - dump your college ball favourites at their first signs of struggle in the NFL. It's a tough aul business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm guessing he is back in the league before the end of the season, probably even before the half way point depending on who gets injured. Of course, once there he will promptly fail and be cut in the spring, and THAT in my opinion, will be the last we ever hear of Trent Richardson in the NFL.

Seeing Eddie Lacy doing well is such a relief, because Richardson and to a lesser extent Mark Ingram, have been such big flops out of Alabama having been so dominant in college, that it was a very genuine concern of mine. No Alabama RBs were drafted last year, but up this season is TJ Yeldon who the Jags took early in the second round. I admittedly know nothing about the guy, but he had a decent start yesterday with 51 yards on 12 carries. They all play(ed) behind huge, huge lines at that school as best I know and are all power backs, but the big problem obviously there is in the NFL their lines are not as much bigger as Alabama's was, they are not bigger than all the defenders, and they lack that 'pop' to get to the line in time (not an issue for Lacy - but I have ranted a few times about his ineffectiveness out of the shotgun, unsure about Yeldon). In an age where the power back is now a fringe/situational player unless they have more to their game, I can't say I would be comfortable picking an Alabama RB early on, on merit alone... and I say that even though I love Eddy Lacy. :o

Let this be a cautionary tale though folks - dump your college ball favourites at their first signs of struggle in the NFL. It's a tough aul business.

The thing is though, he looked a lock coming out of college to produce in the NFL. There's not a whole lot else (measurables, attitude, off the field stuff etc of course) you can base it on. He was the perfect size, had explosive power, super hands, did the dirty work in terms of picking up blitzes and it seems strange saying it now - but ridiculously good vision. It's not like he was one of those players that was always going to be just suited to the college game.

Here's an article from Bob McGinn who is extremely well connected in the draft game. It sums up what 99% of people were thinking about Richardson coming out:
    For months now, scouts with altogether too much time on their hands have been pestering guidance counselors and football-office receptionists, poring over medical and psychological reports and watching highlight, interview and workout tapes until they know them by heart. Rare is the player who can escape the National Football League's version of the Great Inquisition without being nitpicked to death. Trent Richardson, the irrepressible running back from Alabama, is the exception.

The NFL people don't just like Richardson. They almost worship the ground upon which he walks. Negatives? What negatives? It's all prime cut when it comes to Richardson, far and away the best back available in the draft.

"Special player," said Howie Roseman, general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles. "He's got size, speed, vision, elusiveness, power, balance. I don't think there's a game you can watch where he doesn't have a 'wow' moment. He's a difference-maker."

All 20 scouts in a Journal Sentinel poll asking them to rank the best backs on a 1-to-5 basis picked Richardson as No. 1. In the last 10 years of the poll just two other backs - Adrian Peterson in 2007, Reggie Bush in 2006 - also were unanimous choices. Richardson received 100 points for his 20 first-place votes. The two other backs with outside chances to land in the first round are Doug Martin, who was second with 62 points, and David Wilson, who was third with 57. Trailing far behind were Lamar Miller (27 points), LaMichael James (15), Robert Turbin (14), Isaiah Pead (seven), Ronnie Hillman (six), Chris Polk (four), Bernard Pierce (three) and two players, Terrance Ganaway and Cyrus Gray, each with two.

"There's one running back," one personnel director said. "All the rest are complementary backs."

Mark Ingram, the back who preceded Richardson in Tuscaloosa, was the only runner taken in the first round a year ago, and that wasn't until the 28th selection. It was the first time since 1984 that as few as one back went in the first round. As recently as a decade ago, running backs still were coveted as highly as any other position except quarterback. Nowadays, with almost every rule change making it easier to pass, clubs see reduced value in running backs, especially given how short-lived their careers are.

"I believe things have changed and I understand you can win with backs across the spectrum," said Thomas Dimitroff, general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. "But for those who are philosophically opposed to taking a running back early, I think this is one that might cause you to second-guess that philosophy. "He's definitely worth a top-10 pick."

Understudying Ingram in 2009, Richardson had to be content with 145 carries as the Crimson Tide won the national championship. Last season, he charged for a school-record 1,679 yards in 283 carries as Alabama repeated. Previously, Richardson had a great career at Escambia High in Pensacola, Fla., the school that graduated all-time rushing leader Emmitt Smith 25 years ago.

"As soon as he signed at Alabama, granted, they had a lot of other pieces in place, but you could almost put down two-time national champion," one personnel man said. "This guy is that good. "Two years ago, when Ingram won the Heisman, people at Alabama laughed behind the scenes saying, 'Ingram isn't even the best player in his own backfield.' And Ingram is a nice player. But Trent is big-time."

What appears to have cemented Richardson in the eyes of some NFL decision-makers is the way he has embraced fatherhood. A father for the first time at age 16, he had another daughter two years later. "Has a couple kids but very responsible," one scout said. "Very impressive tape. Impressive pro day. Impressive guy. "Pass blocker. Returner. Practices hard. Plays hurt."

Some scouts said they don't see Richardson being able to turn the tide in games almost by himself as Barry Sanders did for Detroit in the 1990s and Peterson has done for Minnesota in the last five years. They say he doesn't quite have the pull-away speed to do that.

"Hey, he could be a Hall of Famer," one scout said. "He doesn't fumble, he's fast, he can catch it and he's the best blocking back I've seen in about 10 years. "Hell of a kid. And he ain't getting past Cleveland or Tampa Bay, either. Those teams sit fourth and fifth in the first-round order.

I'd also disagree about dumping them at their first signs of struggle too. In his rookie season, he rushed for almost 1,000 yards, caught almost 400 yards worth of ball and scored 12 TD's. This was behind the Browns O-line which, at that time, was very poor. In fairness to him there was enough there to give him the benefit of the doubt and bare with him for a while once it started to go south. On the opposite end of the scale, there's also plenty of players who take time to adjust to the professional game and who come on leaps and bounds after a phase of adaptation. I don't think dumping at the first sign of struggle is a good idea.

The lesson I take from the Trent Richardson debacle is that it just reinforces how hard it is to hit in the draft, and how much praise the teams that consistently manage to succeed in the draft deserve for doing so.

He'll certainly go down as one of the great draft busts and when I hear of him in years to come he's always someone I'll say to myself - "how?". How did it go so wrong? How, showing what he did in college and subsequently on tape, did he not become a success in the NFL? How did literally almost everyone in the draft community end up with burnt fingers? Sometimes there really is no explanation. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

The great busts are always pre draft locks though Paully. Sanchez was taken really high. Is he considered a signature bust though? Not really because the Jets had plenty of doubters for the move at the time.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that some players need to settle. In an increasingly general sense, great players hit the ground running and start productively out the gate. And as far as running backs are concerned, I genuinely couldn't remember many late bloomers. The NFL simply isn't a development league.

Manziel is not going to be a long term QB1 for example. He's too far off it too early.

HE'S BACK!

Richardson went for a visit with the Ravens 3 weeks ago. He had done well in the offseason in terms of getting his weight down a bit (he was floating around the 228 mark for a while), but the night before he met with the Ravens he decided to have a takeaway and then woke up and had a breakfast wrap and pancakes a couple of hours before the Ravens meeting. Of course Baltimore wanted to work him out, but Richardson being Richardson didn't think they'd want him to work out and ended up weighing in that day at 238 pounds :pac:

The Ravens will bring him in as a camp body as Richardson is down to 218 now (they wanted him to check back in when he got to 225 and have an agreement with him that they will sign him when he reaches a target weight), but that above piece just completely sums him up I think. :pac:

Here's a really good read detailing the above, along with Richardson's struggles and attempt at a comeback. Interestingly he highlights the way the NFL is structured compared to the college game as being the toughest thing to adjust to, e.g. in college everything is mapped out and planned for you while in the NFL the onus is on you to keep on top of things, which makes it "very easy to get lazy". He also suffered from what a lot of people with his background do when they reach the big time - family/friend leeches blowing him up for money, holidays etc.

It would be cool to see a redemption story (especially as a Raven :D) but obviously it's hard to see him even making it past the early cuts, let alone even the roster. If nothing else, at least he won't be able to look back in years to come and say he didn't get enough opportunities.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/inside_trent_richardsons_rise.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think Richardson is a spent force at this stage. He doesn't have the work ethic to be an NFL running back. He may have initial success but he'll revert back to his lazy self eventually and we'll get the same product we saw in Cleveland and Indianapolis. His talent is probably worth another punt if you can keep him motivated and even then he still may not be good enough to be a decent RB at this level.

Has anyone considered tying a stick to his head with a piece of cake on one end, so it always hangs down in front of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glued wrote: »
    I think Richardson is a spent force at this stage. He doesn't have the work ethic to be an NFL running back. He may have initial success but he'll revert back to his lazy self eventually and we'll get the same product we saw in Cleveland and Indianapolis. His talent is probably worth another punt if you can keep him motivated and even then he still may not be good enough to be a decent RB at this level.
    If somebody can motivate him, he is now a low risk with the potential for a very high reward.

Millions of dollars...or pancakes...millions of dollars...or pancakes...

He made the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Has there ever been a player like that who has turned it around? Lots of high first round picks get 2nd/3rd chances but I can't think of any with lazy attitudes who actually changed their ways and made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Augme wrote: »
    Has there ever been a player like that who has turned it around? Lots of high first round picks get 2nd/3rd chances but I can't think of any with lazy attitudes who actually changed their ways and made it.

Jamarcu.......no wait.....he also loved pancakes

So, when players get drafted high in the 1st round they get a lot of opportunity initially and clubs will stick with them as long as they can because so much guaranteed money has been invested in their acquisition. But once they bust out of the league the first time and become free agents the second go round sees them offered very little quarter. As such, if he was to make an active roster for the Ravens or anyone he'll have turned things around significantly.

I wouldn't be holding my breath (just as I didn't for Tebow or won't for Manziel), but everything he gets out of the league from here on in will be very hard earned indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jamarcu.......no wait.....he also loved pancakes

Pancakes with purple syrup.

Waived by Baltimore.

Unfortunately, he just couldn't stay healthy.

That's the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Waived by Baltimore.

That's the end.

Fastest cut he's made in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    Fastest cut he's made in years.

rmdSx.gif?noredirect

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Waived by Baltimore.

That's the end.

For Trent Richardson, This thread, or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think LuckyLloyd should get the final say before locking it :pac:

He's 26, he should have some money left over. Go back and finish his degree at Alabama and get on with the rest of his life imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    He's 26, he should have some money left over. Go back and finish his degree at Alabama and get on with the rest of his life imo.

Pop quiz time.

Did Trent Richardson:

(a) take Lloyd's advice on board and finish his degree as the first step towards a successful life outside of football

Or

(b) just get himself arrested on third degree domestic violence charges

You have 30 seconds. Your time starts...... Now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement