Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

• 19-09-2013 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8926263/monday-night-football-who-is-the-best-scholes-lampard-or-gerrard
    Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher answered your tweets on Monday Night Football and the hot topic of debate was: Who is the best - Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard?
    These three midfielders have over 1300 Premier League appearances between them and 539 goals in the top flight, so how do you pick who is the best?
    Sky Sports football expert Carragher puts his former Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard top of the pile, saying: "They are three world class players. Top for me though is Stevie, the reason he is top is in terms of his big game influence, in Istanbul and in Cardiff.
    "Frank Lampard also for the same reason, he scored the winner in an FA Cup final, scored the goal that won Chelsea the league for the first time. He's slightly ahead of Scholes for me."
    Former Manchester United defender Neville somewhat disagreed with his Monday Night Football colleague, saying: "Paul Scholes is the best player I've ever played with. He's a unique talent. He controls the tempo of the whole football match.
    "I'll take the Scholes of 2004-2010/11 as the very best. He's similar to Xavi and Pirlo in his ability to control the tempo of a whole match. Winning games is not just about scoring the goals. People used to ask why Manchester United scored so many late goals, it was because they used to knacker teams out for 85 minutes."
    Watch the video to see who Gary and Jamie put as their 1,2,3 and cast your vote below.

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes? 283 votes

Scholes
    0%
    Lampard
    62%
    RasTaSeanehcournioniDempseyChucky the treeuchHyzepherweemcdefblordgoatBloodBathKingp35bestyUnearthlybohsmanRoaraliveandkickingFatherTedA Dub in GlasgoMr.Nice Guy 176 votes
    Gerrard
    10%
    MrJoeSoapCorben DallasDiddy KongDuck SoupThe_HustlerBarrThe DavestatorMr.MicroPanthrojustshaneTigerbabygetuponthisGavRedKingchelseaaremagicSheepy99homer simpsonCol200sxthecatspjsmajor billnipps 30 votes
    Kevin Nolan
    27%
    super_furryPete M.mada999CyrusKeedowahBrando_iewhatawaster[Jackass]gafferinomags1962A Primal NutPaddy@CIRLHeisenberg1colly10redzerdrogHokigebbelSideshow MarkNabyLadistheman[Deleted User] 77 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Scholes is in a different league to the other two. His trophy cabinet would embarrass them both also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard
    Carragher is a awful pundit and Neville is too biased towards Players in the England set up.

Oh and anyone that thinks Gerrard or Lampard were better players than Scholes was needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh and anyone that thinks Gerrard or Lampard were better players than Scholes was needs their head examined.

As goalscoring attacking midfielders go, gerrard scored more than scholes while playing in an inferior team. Just saying........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lampard
    Scholes by far more than anyone in the British media would ever allow you believe.

Gerrard ahead of Lampard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

As goalscoring attacking midfielders go, gerrard scored more than scholes while playing in an inferior team. Just saying........

And he could tackle!

• Advertisement

Lampard

That was clearly not Scholes' main role in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Liverpool fans - Gerrard the best
    United fans - Scholes the best
    Different type players, so pointless comparing them to each other.
    Hell they probably would have been a great pairing if they played together at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard

Except that for most of his career Scholes played in a 2 man midfield and not as attacking midfielder.

When played behind the striker he scored 20 goals in 2002-03.

Lampard
    mav79 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans - Gerrard the best
    United fans - Scholes the best
    Different type players, so pointless comparing them to each other.
    Hell they probably would have been a great pairing if they played together at their best.
    Neutrals - Scholes the best.
    There was too much between the 2 in level for the opinion of those who pick Gerrard to be viewed as anything other than delusion.

Gerrard was a great player but Scholes was at a whole new level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Lampard
    Scholes is miles ahead, lampard is second and Stevie is nowhere near the two of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's pretty obvious how this thread is going to go down given the entrenchment on this forum, so it's actually a pointless debate.

It's started already.

Stupid argument as Scholes played in a different role to the other two.

Gerrard could never replicate the playmaking of Scholes and Scholes couldn't replicate the goalscoring of Gerrard and Lampard.

I'm surprised the two boys didn't point out as much.

It won't stop lads falling over themselves in a dick measuring competition. All you have to do is read a few posts in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kevin Nolan
    Gerrard for Liverpool fans
    Scholes for United fans
    Lampard for Chelsea fans
    Bullard for the laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who cares

3 great players

Who cares

3 great players

Best post yet

Lampard
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Best post yet

Sarcasm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard could never replicate the playmaking of Scholes and Scholes couldn't replicate the goalscoring of Gerrard and Lampard.

It won't stop lads falling over themselves in a dick measuring competition. All you have to do is read a few posts in.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

CSF wrote: »
    That was clearly not Scholes' main role in the team.

Which goes to show that comparing the three is unfair.

Scholes did not score as many as Gerrard and he definitely had an issue with tackling. (as in he was poor at it)

Scholes had a hugely under rated influence in a very successful team
    Gerrard had a highly reported influence in an average Liverpool team
    Lampard scored a lot of goals from midfield for another successful team,
    But all three were imo totally different types of central midfielders

Lampard

Which goes to show that comparing the three is unfair.

Scholes did not score as many as Gerrard and he definitely had an issue with tackling. (as in he was poor at it)

Scholes had a hugely under rated influence in a very successful team
    Gerrard had a highly reported influence in an average Liverpool team
    Lampard scored a lot of goals from midfield for another successful team,
    But all three were imo totally different types of central midfielders

In the league..

Scholes: 499 games - 107 goals
    Gerrard: 448 games - 98 goals
    Lampard: 555 games - 166 goals.

Scholes scored at max 1 or 2 penalties whereas Gerrard and Lampard scored many from spot.

So Scholes scors as many goals as other two and for most of his career he played in a midfield 2.

Sarcasm?

No.

He's spot on.

• Advertisement

Lampard
    No.

He's spot on.

Oh I've just seen you sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    In the league..

Scholes scored at max 1 or 2 penalties whereas Gerrard and Lampard scored many from spot.

So Scholes scors as many goals as other two and for most of his career he played in a midfield 2.

BOOM.

People are going to need another stick to beat Scholes with, because this blows that other shíte that has been peddled in this thread right out of the water.

lol

Oh I've just seen you sig

?

You are pulling me up for agreeing with Kew Tour who's a Utd fan, not that it matters but those things obviously irk you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    Forgive me, but I think I will take the opinion of these guys ahead of the opinions of Jamie Carragher.
    "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."
    - Zinedine Zidane
    "In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen – the most complete – is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."
    - Xavi
    "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes."
    - Patrick Viera
    "I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player."
    - Laurent Blanc
    "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."
    - Cesc Fabregas

Lampard
    BOOM.

People are going to need another stick to beat Scholes with, because this blows that other shíte that has been peddled in this thread right out of the water.

lol

Scholes scores in every 4.67 games
    Gerard scores in every 4.57 games
    Lampard scores in every 3.34 games

For a player who doesn't score that many goals his scoring rate is pretty impressive...Would love to see their pass completion percentage actually, that could put the argument to bed...

Also Gerard doesn't have the discipline to be a proper midfielder, like the other two, at times his just like a headless chicken

Forgive me, but I think I will take the opinion of these guys ahead of the opinions of Jamie Carragher.

- Zinedine Zidane

- Xavi

- Patrick Viera

- Laurent Blanc

- Cesc Fabregas

Didn't Zidane hail Gerrard as one of the best in the world. The two faced baxtard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Kevin Nolan
    Quote:
    "I think Gerrard was a better all round player than Scholes."

niallo27

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

For me,

SCHOLES>>>>>>LAMPARD>>>GERRARD

Scholes was one of the greatest midfielders of all time. Lampard over Gerrard every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Kevin Nolan
    Well if i was a manager and was building my own team and had to pick one of these boys it would be gerrard for me not because he is the best of the 3 because they are hard to seperate, but because of his influence on a team and ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck, for me he is a leader,he leads by example and sets the tempo of games more so than the other 2, plus you must remember gerrard played with a pretty average teams for all his career, imagine if he played with utd or chelsea:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lampard
    Scholes is head and shoulders above them. One of the best midfielders of all time imo.

No bias here. I simply have eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I think Scholes if often overlooked (maybe that's a bit strong) because he is not 'glamorous'. Very little media attention because he is shy and just got on with his game.

It would be interesting to see stats for pass accuracy, assists and non-penalty goals.

Here's something I came across:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Keane was better than the lot of them , he dragged united through games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lampard
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    In the league..

Do other competitions not count? :confused:

Gerrard scored 159 in 634 appearances
    Scholes scored 155 in 718.
    Lampard 244 in 811.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

niallo27 wrote: »
    Quote:
    "I think Gerrard was a better all round player than Scholes."

niallo27

Niall Quinn is a Creep

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gerrard also played as a second strike behind Fernando Torres for a few years. However, Scholes also played as a striker at the start of his career. I remember he got his chance due to injuries to others and scored 7 goals in 7 games.

• Advertisement

Kevin Nolan
    Niall Quinn is a Creep

I dont know if he is or not but i dont see the relevance here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    but because of his influence on a team and ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck, for me he is a leader,he leads by example and sets the tempo of games more so than the other 2,

Oh come on. The idea that Gerrard set the tempo of a game more than Paul Scholes shows a fundamental lack of understanding of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lampard

Lampard 244 in 811.

The original point still stands with those stats.

Kevin Nolan
    bohsman wrote: »
    The original point still stands with those stats.

Doesnt playing nearly a 100 games more in a far superior team take away from the point a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lampard
    Doesnt playing nearly a 100 games more in a far superior team take away from the point a bit.

More Champs League games for Scholes and Lampard is a handicap for them. Far less reliance on Scholes for goals is a big factor, I doubt Gerrard would have scored anywhere near as many if Ronaldo was a former LFC player, and as mentioned previously Scholes is the only one mentioned that didn't take penos regularly.

So a similar/slightly lower on ave goal haul for a player that dictated games from further back in midfield really can't be used as a negative when trying to compare the 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Kevin Nolan
    for me the only one that was ever really amongst the worlds best was Gerrard from 05-09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lampard
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    for me the only one that was ever really amongst the worlds best was Gerrard from 05-09

Lampard in Mourinho's first Chelsea was phenomenal.

As for Scholes, the dissing of his goal scoring is embarrassing, he was a better finisher than both of them, he just didn't need to because he was a far better team player than them.

Lampard

Lampard 244 in 811.

Scoring in league >>>> Scoring in league cups against crap teams and few more in Europa league.

Take out the penalties and check the stats, even though Scholes played in deeper role his stats won't look out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't Zidane hail Gerrard as one of the best in the world. The two faced baxtard!

Any of those comments have to be taken with a heap of salt...It's like when the family member that nobody likes dies they become the best relative you had, and nobody says a bad word. All that's missing is Pele saying he is up there with Nicky Butt to make them complete.

Lampard

Or maybe playing in advanced role gives even more advantage over the player who had to play in a 2 man midfield and deeper position for most of his career. Still his goal scoring record is as impressive as any other midfielder if you count goals from open play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

redzerdrog wrote: »

That really is a load of nonsense and a biased view. All three players were amongst the best in the world during their careers.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any of those comments have to be taken with a heap of salt...It's like when the family member that nobody likes dies they become the best relative you had, and nobody says a bad word. All that's missing is Pele saying he is up there with Nicky Butt to make them complete.

I know that. It was in reply to someone who linked Zidane earlier.

Opinions are like arseholes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gerrard
    I think Scholes if often overlooked (maybe that's a bit strong) because he is not 'glamorous'. Very little media attention because he is shy and just got on with his game.

It would be interesting to see stats for pass accuracy, assists and non-penalty goals.

Here's something I came across:

That Xavi assist stat is surely wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know that. It was in reply to someone who linked Zidane earlier.

Opinions are like arseholes...

Yeah I was referring to the original quotes as well....dunno how I quoted your post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement