Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Kevin Nolan
    They are all grossly overated English players. If you only watched the Premier league you might think they are the best in the world. But none of them are close to the best in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That Xavi assist stat is surely wrong?

Dont know TBH. Heres another one I came across a while back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lampard
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Scoring in league >>>> Scoring in league cups against crap teams and few more in Europa league.

Take out the penalties and check the stats, even though Scholes played in deeper role his stats won't look out of place.

But scoring in the PL against crap teams is fine? Gerrard has scored more goals in the Champions league than Scholes btw.

Kevin Nolan
    Gerrard without a doubt. He could win games on his own. He is a better passer (by miles), better goal scorer, better tackler than the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Personally all three are great players but on the goal stat. How many of Gerrards or Lampards were penalties. I could include frees but i won't because scoring from a free is not easy.

On Gerrard he has spent nearly all his career being the big fish in a small pond no disrespect to Liverpool. I mean it in the way he was the main player and he was involved in most attacks.

Take Scholes into account who played deeper and controlled possession setting up players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistlerooy, Yorke, Tevez over the years. Scholes scoring goals was far less vital for United than Gerrard's for Liverpool so the whole playing with an inferior team is nonsense. Gerrard has always been a main part of Liverpool's attacks over the years. Scholes played deeper in a 2 man midfield and dicatated play where his main part of United's team was in build up play for world class strikers to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gerrard
    Gerrard without a doubt. He could win games on his own. He is a better passer (by miles), better goal scorer, better tackler than the other two.

I think you've missed the stats there.

I'd like to see the assists stat for all three above, no point comparing Scholes with Xavi or Pirlo when the question relates to the 2 other Enlgish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That Xavi assist stat is surely wrong?
    Dont know TBH. Heres another one I came across a while back...

It's not about the stats with Xavi or Pirlo. Never was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    Should have added a poll. It should have been made public too so we could all point and laugh at whoever didn't pick Scholes.

But scoring in the PL against crap teams is fine? Gerrard has scored more goals in the Champions league than Scholes btw.

If your going to try make a point try research it first instead of talking crap. Have a quick look at that list it's not hard to check things before making them up.

http://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeadingScorers?comp_code=UCL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard

The delusion is strong in this one. This thread is really turning up the weeds in this forum. Some people have no football intelligence at all.

I am in a rush so not going to get into other things. But on the passing point i just can't leave that go. Gerrard is nowhere near Scholes in terms of passing ability. Even Gerrard fan's i am sure could admit that. Scholes passing is his biggest strength his accuracy is unbelievable.

http://www.footyjokes.net/2013/03/cristiano-ronaldo-on-paul-scholes-best.html

Cristiano Ronaldo on Paul Scholes

"When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once i was showing my skills to Scholes. After i finished it, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I'm going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn't hit it, with that Accuracy. He smiled and left."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard

I considered league as it is level playing field. Both players play against same teams, it doesn't depend on lucky draws.

Scholes has scored 26 goals in Europe (Not sure how many in UEFA cup) but since most of the games he played was in CL I roughly guessed almost all in CL.

Gerrard scored 30 plus goals in Europe but Liverpool played many games in UEFA cup.

Gerrard scored 19 goals in CL and Scholes scored 24 in CL according to Wiki, not sure how accurate is.

Point was not whether Scholes was better goal scorer, point was Scholes could match any of the 2 in goal scoring. When you consider goals from open play he is up there in goal scoring stats also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    Gerrard has scored more goals in the Champions league than Scholes btw.

Oh dear. Might want to look at that one again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the three are a bit different to compare completely fairly.

Lampard made consistently scoring like a forward from midfield an artform. the best at that ever in the league.

Gerrard could change the face of a game, not through controlling the game, but through "force of nature" moments. despite the shíte around him for most of his career, he dragged Liverpool to some trophies kicking and screaming. he's the best ever in the league at creating these moments.

Scholes is the hero of players like Xavi and Iniesta. that says all you need to know about his game. he also had some of the best shooting from distance around. he also scored regularly enough when in the position in the team to do so. he also was at the hub of an all-conquering Manchester United.

if i had to pick one player for my team, Scholes would nick it. but they're all brilliant. and it's not worth the díck measuring that's going to go on in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

lucky draws
    which United "always get".:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lampard
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    If your going to try make a point try research it first instead of talking crap. Have a quick look at that list it's not hard to check things before making them up.

http://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeadingScorers?comp_code=UCL

I got my stats from here.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/305

Lampard

39 goals in Europe, not in CL. He has scored many goals in UEFA cup too.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Stupid argument as Scholes played in a different role to the other two.

Gerrard could never replicate the playmaking of Scholes and Scholes couldn't replicate the goalscoring of Gerrard and Lampard.

I'm surprised the two boys didn't point out as much.

It won't stop lads falling over themselves in a dick measuring competition. All you have to do is read a few posts in.

This.

Scholes is one of the few United players I will admit to being a great, super player. People foaming at the mouth about trophy cabinets lets remember he was in a few great teams as well... not like he won all those trophies himself and he'd be the first to admit that I'd imagine. The one thing about Scholes that made him an even better player was how he changed his game as he got older.

Gerrard for years was the player that Liverpool relied on and would come out with some insane goals/performances to win games down the years. A real leader and a legend for the club. Strangely enough at the moment Gerrard is starting to do what Scholes did and go into a deeper role as he's getting older, is that down to Rodgers or Gerrard who knows but I don;t think he'd be capable of doing what he was doing for years now.

However if I was to take one in a team from when they were younger knowing how'd they'd end up I'd probably actually take Lampard. His goal scoring record and appearances speak volumes, rarely injured and a great attitude. I never understood why so many hated him for a while. Would have loved to see him in a Liverpool shirt when he was leaving West Ham!

Gerrard
    Statbunker aint up to date with Lampards goal stats anyway, its about 5 or 6 short of what he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Lampard
    From an Arsenal fan, it has to be Scholes. A wonderful player.
    Gerrard and Lampard are close enough to make differentiating them pointless, though I'd personally prefer Gerrard.

Any way to run a simulation in all the CM/FM over the years and let that decide? At least it takes bias out of the equation

Lampard
    I considered league as it is level playing field. Both players play against same teams, it doesn't depend on lucky draws.

Scholes has scored 26 goals in Europe (Not sure how many in UEFA cup) but since most of the games he played was in CL I roughly guessed almost all in CL.

Gerrard scored 30 plus goals in Europe but Liverpool played many games in UEFA cup.

Gerrard scored 19 goals in CL and Scholes scored 24 in CL according to Wiki, not sure how accurate is.

Point was not whether Scholes was better goal scorer, point was Scholes could match any of the 2 in goal scoring. When you consider goals from open play he is up there in goal scoring stats also.

Seems Scholes did score more, but again Gerrard goals to game ratio is far more impressive than Scholes.

124 appearances for Scholes and 24 goals while Gerrard has 19 goals in 67 appearances.

39 goals in Europe, not in CL. He has scored many goals in UEFA cup too.

Unders goals it lists them by competition. For champions league it says 28, I'm guessing they include goals in the Champions league qualifier which they shouldn't.

However if I was to take one in a team from when they were younger knowing how'd they'd end up I'd probably actually take Lampard. His goal scoring record and appearances speak volumes, rarely injured and a great attitude. I never understood why so many hated him for a while.

because he's fat. did you not hear?

SlickRic wrote: »
    because he's fat. did you not hear?

Be careful a CHelsea fan will probably report that :) :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"better tackler" hahahaha. As we're discussing the key qualities in a footballer, who was the best at throw ins?

Scholes was the central midfielder of three, followed by Lampard. Gerrard was great in an advanced role, less so in a central midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lampard
    Seems Scholes did score more, but again Gerrard goals to game ratio is far more impressive than Scholes.

124 appearances for Scholes and 24 goals while Gerrard has 19 goals in 67 appearances.

But is that more impressive? One played directly behind the striker, one was a central midfielder.

Lampard

One played most of the games behind striker and took penalties while other played in deeper role and (probably) never took a penalty in CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lampard
    Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, in that order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I love this "Scholes wasn't good at tackling" rubbish.

The truth is that Paul Scholes was a dirty player. (Rafa might even have called that a "fact")

For that reason alone I'd have him behind the other two who, while being no angels, were not nearly as dirty as Scholsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lampard
    One played most of the games behind striker and took penalties while other played in deeper role and (probably) never took a penalty in CL.

took one against Madrid in 2000!

Gerrard was great in an advanced role, less so in a central midfield role.

in his younger years, he was brilliantly dynamic in central midfield. it's how he made his name. it's a bit of myth that's slowly become some sort of fact in people's eyes that he was never a great CM.

what happened was, Benitez wanted to use the explosiveness, while he still had it, where it was most effective. firstly in a free role, then behind the striker.

the fact that his best years were behind the striker does not take away from how good he was as a CM. Gerrard was mooted to be the subject of £30m bids while he was a CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lampard

Surely even the most biased Liverpool fan can see that Scholes was a better passer than Gerrard. .

In passing ability, Alonso V Scholes would be a far better comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

This will be a never ending debate because how passionate the 3 sets of fans are with regards 3 respective legends of their clubs.

As for my input i believe gerrard has been more vital to liverpool then scholes or lamps are to manu and chelsea, hes scored in every cup final there is to play bar the world club championship and dragged us through horrid times, things neither scholes or lamps had to do due to the quality of their team/squads.

Lampard
    I love this "Scholes wasn't good at tackling" rubbish.

The truth is that Paul Scholes was a dirty player. (Rafa might even have called that a "fact")

For that reason alone I'd have him behind the other two who, while being no angels, were not nearly as dirty as Scholsey.

Like this?

article-1152310-005C20F100000258-714_468x296.jpg.
    gerrard-assault.gif

And also can insert his diving gifs too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SlickRic wrote: »
    in his younger years, he was brilliantly dynamic in central midfield. it's how he made his name. it's a bit of myth that's slowly become some sort of fact in people's eyes that he was never a great CM.

what happened was, Benitez wanted to use the explosiveness, while he still had it, where it was most effective. firstly in a free role, then behind the striker.

the fact that his best years were behind the striker does not take away from how good he was as a CM. Gerrard was mooted to be the subject of £30m bids while he was a CM.
    He would have been a quality player in any position but he wasn't as good as Scholes and to a lesser extent Lampard in central midfield. Crazy that England wasted so many years trying to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard in a midfield two when they had Scholes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lampard
    Neutral: Gerrard

Like this?

article-1152310-005C20F100000258-714_468x296.jpg.
    gerrard-assault.gif

And also can insert his diving gifs too.

Thread should nose dive fairly rapid now

Are you trying to say Gerrard was a dirtier player than Scholes?

If so then you are incorrect.

• Advertisement

Gerrard

Waiting with my ban hammer...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    So a shìt player with a cleaner record would be ahead of all 3?
    Funny way of rating ability...

Lampard

:rolleyes: Yeah for showing that Gerrard is/was also dirty player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

In that order for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Who cares

3 great players

Nope. Scholes was a great player. Would have walked into any team, club or international. It's hilarious how under rated he is by some people. It was ridiculous how much attention Beckham got playing in the same team as Scholes, given just how good Scholes was.

Lampard and Gerrard are good players. I'd put them in the category of Glenn Hoddle. Seen as great players by the English media and followers of English football, but no one else.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kevin Nolan
    1) Dalglish
    2) Best
    3) Pele
    4) Daddy
    5) Chips
    6) Scholes
    7) ATA Security's sponsorship of the St Patrick's Day parade's in the 80s
    8) A warm mug of tay on a winter's day
    9) Zubizarreta
    10) Gerrard

• Advertisement

Gerrard
    Brian? wrote: »
    Nope. Scholes was a great player. Would have walked into any team, club or international. It's hilarious how under rated he is by some people. It was ridiculous how much attention Beckham got playing in the same team as Scholes, given just how good Scholes was.

Lampard and Gerrard are good players. I'd put them in the category of Glenn Hoddle. Seen as great players by the English media and followers of English football, but no one else.

Ah yes, Lampard never considered great by others, so much so that he came 2nd in the B'alon dor to Ronaldinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brian? wrote: »

Weren't both runners up to the balon dor to ronaldinho in 05 or was it 06?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

Alternatively,

Alonso
    Makelele
    Keane

:p

Gerrard
    klose wrote: »
    Weren't both runners up to the balon dor to ronaldinho in 05 or was it 06?

1st - ronaldinho
    2nd -Lamprd
    3rd - Gerrard

Back in 05 I think

:rolleyes: Yeah for showing that Gerrard is/was also dirty player.

I'd like to compare their red/yellow card stats.

For me Scholses was very cynical and consistently dirty throughout his career. Often at a cost to United.

Sure he could play ball, but other gifted players in his position showed how to do it playing fairly. (look at the Barca midfielders in comparison)

• Advertisement
Advertisement